The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Scammed (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135960)

Yadkin 01-22-2024 7:49am

Scammed

After my dad died my oldest sister, basically his caretaker, told me that our dad had been scammed. He was one of the three most intelligent people that I have known, so this shows that he had been "losing it".

Apparently he was playing card games online and was approached with a "deal" from some asshole in California. 'Put $10G in $100 bills inside a book, wrap it with aluminum foil, mail it to my address. After I receive it I'll send you $13G.'

So he went to the bank and withdrew the money. The teller was concerned, knowing that scammers target the elderly, so asked him what the money was for. My dad, ever the libertarian, told her that it was none of her business.

He mailed the cash as instructed. Then his brain kicked back in and he told my sister. She called UPS and managed to get the package returned.

Rob 01-22-2024 8:20am

So I guess your sister pocketed the cash

DJ_Critterus 01-22-2024 8:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob (Post 2205261)

She invested in a mailbox rock :yesnod:

Bill 01-22-2024 8:37am

No joking here, Yaddie. That's very serious, and how lucky your father was to get his cash back. Kudos to UPS. I suppose the local police wouldn't be interested or have the manpower to try and catch the person the money was mailed to?

I've seen a video about this scam. It's people overseas that are doing it, they recruit Americans to receive the money, who then take their cut and forward the rest to the overseas scammer.

Is it time for at least an unofficial guardianship? Y'all make sure dad's bills are paid, that he has everything he needs, but is prevented from being in this situation again. The fact that he figured out he was scammed soon enough to have UPS recover and return his package is good, but the fact that he was conned to begin with is really bad. I'd take him to the bank and go over the account history with his banker.

Do you have the e-mail trail? I'm guessing there were no phone calls, because then it would be obvious it was an Indian, Nigerian, or some Eastern European asshole, and not an American, on the other end of the line.

Don Rickles 01-22-2024 8:50am

It happens.....

Several years ago my grandmother fell for the IRS scam.....took her for 4K.
They used embarrassment, by telling her they'd take her house because she was evading taxes. Keep in mind she was in her late 80's but still mobile and driving. As instructed she went to the bank and then mailed the scammers two cashiers checks for 2K ea.

Unknowingly, my Gmom had charged the funds against my mom's credit card. When the bill came in a month later, shit hit the fan. My mom was able to dispute the charges and did not have to repay!

The thieves got the 4K.

MikeB 01-22-2024 8:51am

Less than 10% ROI ?

Good thing UPS stopped it in time.
I'd want at least 20% :yesnod:

LATB 01-22-2024 8:54am

Quote:

Or…
What’s Yadkin going to do with a $5,000 windfall?

vettemed 01-22-2024 8:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeB (Post 2205280)
Less than 10% ROI ?

Good thing UPS stopped it in time.
I'd want at least 20% :yesnod:

Isn't getting back 13k on a 10K "investment" a 30% ROI?

Big bob 01-22-2024 9:17am

1 Attachment(s)
Most likely just another thing that never happened look at me thread.

Attachment 95213

And why would anyone publicly post something like that? Oh wait I see.:yaddy:

DJ_Critterus 01-22-2024 9:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LATB (Post 2205283)
Or…
What’s Yadkin going to do with a $5,000 windfall?

Invest in bigger, better driveway rocks?

Bill 01-22-2024 9:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big bob (Post 2205293)
And why would anyone publicly post something like that?

Many forum members here are older, or have elderly parents. Relating his dad's experience might help a forum member be informed and wary about such a scam, or, more probably be a reminder for those with elderly parents to talk to them about such scams, and, if necessary, to start keeping a closer eye on those elderly parents.

Why do you even post here? I never see you with anything positive, or personal, or funny, or newsworthy, or even political to contribute.....just following Yaddie around.

Raazor 01-22-2024 9:33am

Quote:

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...370&fit=bounds

Vandelay Industries 01-22-2024 9:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 2205270)
No joking here, Yaddie. That's very serious, and how lucky your father was to get his cash back. Kudos to UPS. I suppose the local police wouldn't be interested or have the manpower to try and catch the person the money was mailed to?

I've seen a video about this scam. It's people overseas that are doing it, they recruit Americans to receive the money, who then take their cut and forward the rest to the overseas scammer.

Is it time for at least an unofficial guardianship? Y'all make sure dad's bills are paid, that he has everything he needs, but is prevented from being in this situation again. The fact that he figured out he was scammed soon enough to have UPS recover and return his package is good, but the fact that he was conned to begin with is really bad. I'd take him to the bank and go over the account history with his banker.

Do you have the e-mail trail? I'm guessing there were no phone calls, because then it would be obvious it was an Indian, Nigerian, or some Eastern European asshole, and not an American, on the other end of the line.

Based on the first 4 words of the OP, I doubt he'll do this again. :leaving:

Rodnok1 01-22-2024 9:48am

Old folks fall for scams like this all the time. FIL has been scammed out of 10k plus(that's all he'll admit to) from scammers. He lost 7k before he told me his computer was locked for the 3rd time and last one I know about he gave someone remote access to his computer (I'll fix your wifi problems) and they got 3 to 4k from his bank account.

Vandelay Industries 01-22-2024 9:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 2205318)
Old folks fall for scams like this all the time. FIL has been scammed out of 10k plus(that's all he'll admit to) from scammers. He lost 7k before he told me his computer was locked for the 3rd time and last one I know about he gave someone remote access to his computer (I'll fix your wifi problems) and they got 3 to 4k from his bank account.

The people that do this shit need to burn in hell while being forced to listen to Iron Maiden.

Big bob 01-22-2024 9:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 2205302)
Many forum members here are older, or have elderly parents. Relating his dad's experience might help a forum member be informed and wary about such a scam, or, more probably be a reminder for those with elderly parents to talk to them about such scams, and, if necessary, to start keeping a closer eye on those elderly parents.

Why do you even post here? I never see you with anything positive, or personal, or funny, or newsworthy, or even political to contribute.....just following Yaddie around.

That could be done without tossing your Father fresh in the grave under the bus.:yaddy:

Steve_R 01-22-2024 10:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries (Post 2205321)
The people that do this shit need to burn in hell while being forced to listen to Iron Maiden.

I'm good with the burn in Hell part, but listening to Iron Maiden is just over the top in the cruel and unusual punishment category.

04 commemorative 01-22-2024 10:04am

My aunt and uncle fell for the grandson arrested scam....lost quite a few thousand $$

Unsuspicious 01-22-2024 10:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries (Post 2205321)

Isn't it better for money to help out a third world country than a scamming televangelist?

Louie Detroit 01-22-2024 10:10am

People that target the elderly for financial scams should be curb stomped before being fed to a hungry 30 foot long anaconda. Then when they’re in hell Satan should hideously torture them with a flamethrower on a hourly basis.