The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Today's Rant - Five Years, No Interest (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3311)

Iron Chef 07-07-2010 8:27am

Today's Rant - Five Years, No Interest

I spent a good deal of time in the garage this past weekend and had the stereo on. Of course, various retailers were advertising all these "great deals" and so on. And I noticed that they are now offering "no interest for five years" on items like mattresses, furniture and so on.

FIVE YEARS??? Can you imagine locking yourself up in a furniture purchase for five years? :willy:

Are we not empowering people to buy more crap that they can't afford buy offering terms like these? I mean come on...didn't anyone learn anything from the Great Recession? (which we're still in, by the way).

I'm done now. Sorry...I slept poorly. :rant:

wwomanC6 07-07-2010 8:34am

I guess you did have a lot on your mind!:lolsmile:

:squirrelrun:

Iron Chef 07-07-2010 8:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwomanC6 (Post 40885)
I guess you did have a lot on your mind!:lolsmile:

:squirrelrun:

It's a small mind, so I have to get things out quickly to make room for other things.

Mr Hole 07-07-2010 8:48am

I'm rather partial to the all cash down and nothing a month for the rest of your life plan.

Defib1961 07-07-2010 11:33am

It's the American way. Go in debt with stuff you can't afford, die, leave the debt to someone else to pay.

BuckyThreadkiller 07-07-2010 1:15pm

I'm thinking the financing outlives the furniture.

Z06PDQ 07-07-2010 1:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Hole (Post 40888)
I'm rather partial to the all cash down and nothing a month for the rest of your life plan.

it took a while, but that's where I'm at. :cheers:

1TZSLO 07-07-2010 2:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Hole (Post 40888)

:above:

Y2Kvert4me 07-07-2010 3:15pm

If you go finance a new mattress set, you just might sleep better. :D

Joecooool 07-07-2010 4:47pm

You think no interest is bad? The furniture stores in Miami offer no interest OR PAYMENTS for two years. Before you make your first payment on the furniture its already two years old.

Thats how you sell a $200 couch for $800.

NEVRL8T 07-07-2010 6:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joecooool (Post 40905)
You think no interest is bad? The furniture stores in Miami offer no interest OR PAYMENTS for two years. Before you make your first payment on the furniture its already two years old.

Thats how you sell a $200 couch for $800.

Does a hooker come with the couch?

09CTSV 07-07-2010 6:21pm

No just the :kick:

Munch 07-07-2010 8:45pm

5 years of making payments on an $800 couch would be a serious nusence. I would pay $1,000 cash just to avoid mailing 60 checks for $13 and change.

Night Train 07-08-2010 12:59am

Wonder if that would entail a hefty interest charge if not paid off within that 5 year period.

More likely, as another poster mentioned, what they are selling is worth maybe $200 but they sell it for $800. Sooo....the "free interest" is just BS. They'll get their interest one way or another.

vettex2 07-08-2010 9:14am

as long as you pay off the loan before the interest is due , you can make a whole 1% in a savings account

Iron Chef 07-08-2010 11:49am

I think people might be missing the point of my thread: By offering these terms which were previously unheard of, are they not encouraging people to spend money they don't really have? Isn't that what got the country into this mess in the first place?

Defib1961 07-08-2010 11:51am

AAahhhhhhhhh, you mean we actually have to PAY for it?

Y2Kvert4me 07-08-2010 6:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 40981)
I think people might be missing the point of my thread: By offering these terms which were previously unheard of, are they not encouraging people to spend money they don't really have?

I doubt it.

1. There is is nothing inherently wrong with using someone else's money for 5 years, free of charge. The very smart people often take advantage of that even if they don't need to, that is, "all else equal" (to address Phil's point about retail price differences to cover it).

2. You have to qualify for that loan.
As you might know, lenders have radically tightened up their approval requirements, so it could be said that if you can't afford it, you won't be realizing those terms, because you'll never qualify for that loan to begin with. Ad hype brings people into the store, that doesn't mean a guaranteed done-deal with the bank.

3. Everyone is trying to find a way to get consumers buying again. It IS what drives our economy. Most reading this may have never stopped buying goods, but that's not an accurate portrayal of the country as a whole either.

Not everyone has $1500 in cash to drop on a new mattress set, (and if they did, would it be their priority as to how to spend it?) but the vast majority could swing a $20 monthly payment. Sure, the tactic entices people (who otherwise wouldn't) to buy, but claiming affordability is a totally different thing. The lender will have to determine that to their satisfaction prior to financing them.

Since you didn't post all the tiny print details about this 5 year no interest deal, these are the conclusions I arrive at.

:cheers:

Z06PDQ 07-08-2010 7:40pm

anytime they make a deal like that they mark the price of the item up to cover the $$ they lose on financing. car dealers are famous for it.

Me2 07-08-2010 8:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z06PDQ (Post 41022)
anytime they make a deal like that they mark the price of the item up to cover the $$ they lose on financing. car dealers are famous for it.

Most of that stuff comes from overseas and is cheap as hell for those companies to purchase in bulk. Don't they make you put a down payment on it, like 20% or something to cover the taxes and their actual cost? Then if someone actually does make all of the payments, they make a lot of money - way more than what they lose from the people that don't pay. And a lot of people wouldn't make the payments - what's a company going to do with a repossessed mattress?