The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   You Guys Still Do This....... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126090)

Norm 06-21-2021 1:02pm

You Guys Still Do This.......

1 Attachment(s)
......change your own oil?

Been doing my own changes except for the free ones offered after purchase, but then watched them like a hawk at the dealership. Just recently completed my 13th oil change in 54K miles.

I've heard the stories from others, service folks don't know a wet sump system from a dry sump system. When you say "put in 9 quarts only", they put in 10 quarts, or a dry sump system, they'll put in 6 quarts. Not the highest paid folks doing oil changes.

I have peace of mind knowing mine is done right.

The_Dude 06-21-2021 1:05pm

yep, still do my own.

Steve_R 06-21-2021 1:06pm

Used to, but properly disposing of used oil is getting to be a bigger PITA all the time, so I pay someone to do it now.

Norm 06-21-2021 1:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1890339)
Used to, but properly disposing of used oil is getting to be a bigger PITA all the time, so I pay someone to do it now.

I'm lucky enough to have a transfer station near me where I take my trash, they have an oil recycling station there.

RMVette 06-21-2021 1:28pm

Yep, on all my cars. I take the old oil to the dump where they have large tanks to pour the old oil in and bins to drop off the plastic 5 quart containers too. I wait till I have several gallons saved up before I make the trip to the dump.

DJ_Critterus 06-21-2021 1:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm (Post 1890342)
I'm lucky enough to have a transfer station near me where I take my trash, they have an oil recycling station there.

That's what I do too and fortunately, now that I have the Ram 2500, I don't need jacks or a lift to change the oil or filter....but I do need something to stand on when refilling the oil (now I know how GARF feels when changing the oil in his Ceefer).

Rodnok1 06-21-2021 1:44pm

Yep do my own, having run a couple of the quick lubes and having nothing but problems at other places I cringe at the thought of someone else doing it.

MEANZ06 06-21-2021 1:45pm

I used to but back issues make it tough for me to get back up off the ground, so I take them in now and yes I watch them like a hawk also. The truck takes 15 quarts and cost over $100 :faint:

JetMechZ16 06-21-2021 1:48pm

I do mine for the same reasons, peace of mind. I just don't trust the caliber of person they hire for these jobs nowadays. + it still saves me money.

6spdC6 06-21-2021 1:51pm

Nope, I now let someone else do it. I had a good Chevy dealer and I let them do my Vette work.

When I bought my Tundra PU oil changes tire rotations and state inspections were part of the deal. I only had to pay for the difference between Dyno oil and Mobil 1.

Dan Dlabay 06-21-2021 2:48pm

I don't do mime anymore. I have a Chevy and Lexus dealer I trust.:cert:

VITE1 06-21-2021 2:57pm

I use to do mine all the time. Around 2000 I found a great garage and used them for some big repairs on several cars. I wanted to make sure they got all my business. Worked out well. Did the same when we moved to Florida.

Datawiz 06-21-2021 3:16pm

Always, for all cars. I do NOT accept the free ones.

RonC5 06-21-2021 4:39pm

On the Vettes and the truck I do. Changed the oil in the new Vert this week, quick-jack makes it easy. On the wife's MDX I usually take it to the dealer to maintain a relationship while under warranty, when that expires, the bastards will never see me again until the next one under warranty.

MadInNc 06-21-2021 5:13pm

I do on 05 FGT (~60 Bolts and dry sump w 10.5 qts), 69 M1 and 73 Eldo.

Jaguar goes to dealer with annual inspection time.

20’ King Ranch @ dealer they have a $50 “The Worx” deal w oil, tire rotation, top off etc. cheaper than doing it myself

Grey Ghost 06-21-2021 7:35pm

Yep, just recv. 4 Wix filters delivered to my door from Home Depot for 1/2 the price they are in the parts store.

I would like to send off a oil sample for analysis. I know one place that does it for big rigs...I guess, it wouldn't be any different from a gasoline motor vehicle.

Rodnok1 06-21-2021 7:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1890439)
Yep, just recv. 4 Wix filters delivered to my door from Home Depot for 1/2 the price they are in the parts store.

I would like to send off a oil sample for analysis. I know one place that does it for big rigs...I guess, it wouldn't be any different from a gasoline motor vehicle.

Same company does all the testing, the form you fill out tells them the ranges need to be in.
I may have sent in a few hundred or so...

markids77 06-21-2021 8:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1890439)

Most any heavy equipment dealer in your area offers sample kits as part of their maintenance programs. They'll (or at least my dealership does) sell you a kit, ship it to the lab and you can get the results back shortly afterward. Or you can ship it yourself and get the results direct.

markids77 06-21-2021 8:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1890445)
Same company does all the testing, the form you fill out tells them the ranges need to be in.
I may have sent in a few hundred or so...

We use ALS Tribology but there are others out there as well.

outrunm 06-21-2021 8:26pm

I definitely do my own. I use Rodnok's logic, and it has been proven right. I did an oil change for my daughter's roommate, and the freaking pan plug was finger tight. :willy: