The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Deal or No Deal? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117879)

markids77 11-18-2018 9:14pm

Deal or No Deal?

Just picked up a lightly used Colt 1911 Rail gun in 45ACP and a Colt M4 Magpul edition for $1500. Deal or no deal?

BADRACR1 11-18-2018 9:18pm

Good deal. I would guess $700/900 on the Colt at least.

69camfrk 11-18-2018 9:18pm

You did fine.:seasix:

MrPeabody 11-18-2018 9:57pm

You'll shoot your eye out with those things.

JRD77VET 11-18-2018 10:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1650048)
Just picked up a lightly used Colt 1911 Rail gun in 45ACP and a Colt M4 Magpul edition for $1500. Deal or no deal?

Deal :yesnod:

DAB 11-18-2018 10:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1650066)
Deal :yesnod:

:iagree:

markids77 11-19-2018 9:30pm

The rail gun shoots nice and soft... the added weight of the rail works well. Have to drift the rear sight though,... shoots a bit to the left at 50 feet for me. Trigger is nice for a non custom shop piece. Thanks for the reinforcement on pricing although I think I paid right at full retail for the things.

JRD77VET 11-19-2018 9:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1650169)
The rail gun shoots nice and soft... the added weight of the rail works well. Have to drift the rear sight though,... shoots a bit to the left at 50 feet for me. Trigger is nice for a non custom shop piece. Thanks for the reinforcement on pricing although I think I paid right at full retail for the things.

Allow me to interject with some "words of wisdom" from my late Dad ( the exact context was purchasing antiques that caught his eye).

If he was happy with the price to acquire the item, it was a good deal in his eye. :yesnod:

~~~~~~

About drifting the rear sight, run some more rounds thru it before adjusting the sight. When I got my 1911-A1, it shot "off". I moved the rear sight to "correct it".

Once I got a couple hundred rounds thru it, I ended up putting the sight back to where the factory had it. :slap:
:leaving:

erickpl 11-20-2018 9:02am

I still want a Dan Wesson 1911.

AU Eagle 11-20-2018 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl (Post 1650182)
I still want a Dan Wesson 1911.

Love my DW Valor.

RedLS1GTO 11-20-2018 12:12pm

I have 2 LE6920MPs sitting in the safe. 1 is my primary "for fun" shooter and 1 is brand new, as in has never been fired. I think it's the only gun that I have ever paid retail price for in my life. I really don't really know why other than the fact that of all of the AR variants I have owned, no matter what, I always come back to the Colt. If I had to pick just 1, I'd take the 6920 without even a moment of hesitation... so why not have a spare. :D

My opinion is very simple when it comes to the M4. There is Colt, and there is everybody else making copies. For that reason, I say looks like a decent deal.

VITE1 11-20-2018 2:17pm

Pice please. :waiting:

Shrike6 11-20-2018 8:00pm

Deal

markids77 11-20-2018 8:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1650170)
Allow me to interject with some "words of wisdom" from my late Dad ( the exact context was purchasing antiques that caught his eye).

If he was happy with the price to acquire the item, it was a good deal in his eye. :yesnod:

~~~~~~

:leaving:

And to paraphrase I think it was Jay Leno: You never pay too much for a quality car, antique, firearm etcetera... you simply pay it too soon.

markids77 11-20-2018 8:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO (Post 1650201)
I have 2 LE6920MPs sitting in the safe. 1 is my primary "for fun" shooter and 1 is brand new, as in has never been fired. I think it's the only gun that I have ever paid retail price for in my life. I really don't really know why other than the fact that of all of the AR variants I have owned, no matter what, I always come back to the Colt. If I had to pick just 1, I'd take the 6920 without even a moment of hesitation... so why not have a spare. :D

My opinion is very simple when it comes to the M4. There is Colt, and there is everybody else making copies. For that reason, I say looks like a decent deal.

I have never owned a "store bought" AR; I have built them all. I must say the Colt handles quite differently from any of those I assembled. The balance point is different, and good. I must say however that the buttstock rattles as badly as my $25.00 Chinese copy on another rifle.

RedLS1GTO 11-21-2018 8:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1650249)
I have never owned a "store bought" AR; I have built them all. I must say the Colt handles quite differently from any of those I assembled. The balance point is different, and good. I must say however that the buttstock rattles as badly as my $25.00 Chinese copy on another rifle.

I have built a few rifles along the way and have loved some of them (and ended up hating some of them). The Colt is definitely a bit different that those that I have put together. It's funny you mention the stock rattling. You're talking about the Magpul that came on it, right? I have had 5 Magpul stocks on M4s. 2 of them sounded like a can of rocks, 2 of them were as solid as you can get. As I mentioned, I have never actually shot 1 of them so I have no idea which of those #5 is. I actually bought 1 that rattled and 1 solid one at the exact same time. I have yet to be able to figure out a difference.

I realized when I re-read it that my previous post was poorly worded. To clarify, I don't think the Colt off the shelf is the "best" M4 out there. There are some high end "off the shelf" as well as obviously custom builds that are just amazing that out perform them in every way. The Colt is however the baseline that all others are judged against in my opinion. 1 thing that the Colt brings that I love is the barrel. Those rifles with the 1:7 and even off the shelf 62gr+ ammo are incredibly accurate. With a good off the shelf 75gr (I love the Hornady TAP LE) they are as accurate as many high end builds with custom loads.

There may be "better" rifles out there but the Colt does exactly what it is supposed to do and it does it very well. Every time. I will say that I prefer the old school metal Colt mags to the Magpul plastic things. The only time I have ever had a Colt rifle give me issues was with Magpul magazines. On occasion it will have a fail to feed with the plastic things. Through many thousand rounds, the same rifle with beat up metal MILSURP mags has never had a single issue.

I think gun collecting and car collecting are very similar. I'm also the guy that would rather have a very close to OEM stock car than a wild high end custom even though the modified versions are most likely going to perform better as shown by the 100% stock 88 Blazer and very close to stock 99 Firehawk in my garage.

markids77 11-21-2018 8:14pm

[QUOTE=RedLS1GTO;1650286] I will say that I prefer the old school metal Colt mags to the Magpul plastic things. The only time I have ever had a Colt rifle give me issues was with Magpul magazines. On occasion it will have a fail to feed with the plastic things. Through many thousand rounds, the same rifle with beat up metal MILSURP mags has never had a single issue./QUOTE]

I have some ancient milsurp 20 rounders that are so old they have aluminum (!) followers. They work fine in all I have tried them in....
I believe Colt branded mags are actually produced by OKAY Industries; I think I read that somewhere.

RedLS1GTO 11-21-2018 11:17pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1650337)

I have some ancient milsurp 20 rounders that are so old they have aluminum (!) followers. They work fine in all I have tried them in....
I believe Colt branded mags are actually produced by OKAY Industries; I think I read that somewhere.

They look something like this? :D

I use them all the time. Have never had a single issue with one.