The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Need a mower (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115381)

AU Eagle 03-17-2018 8:17pm

Need a mower

1 Attachment(s)
Moved into a new place, not much to mow maybe a half acre in all.

Backyard is a decent slope, I attached a picture looking up. Terrain seems gentle overall, not overly bumpy.

Kind of thinking about a zero turn but not opposed to a lawn tractor style either.

Thoughts?

For reference as far as servicing dealers close by there is Cub Cadet, Gravely, Ferris, Husqvarna and John Deere. Also the normal big box Home Depot and Lowe’s.

Budget would be $2-4K.

JRD77VET 03-17-2018 8:30pm

If you can turn a wrench to do your own maintenance......
I like the older IH built Cub Cadets. Built solid and last for decades. Parts are still available from the dealer and although there a few parts NLA from the dealer, I make them :yesnod: Parts by Jeff-sleeve hitch, PTO buttons and custom parts - Only Cub Cadets

My "every day" tractors are a pair of Cub Cadet model 125's built in 1968. One set up for lawn duty and the other for snow removal. They do NOT mow as fast as the newer throw away lawn mowers but do a nice job.

Datawiz 03-17-2018 8:31pm

My lot in my gated community is 1/2 acre. From that picture, that looks like way more than that. :willy:

AU Eagle 03-17-2018 8:35pm

Picture is quite decieving, but I agree it looks to be way more than that. My previous lot was a half acre but it was flat and I just pushed mowed it. I am not push mowing this.

markids77 03-17-2018 8:37pm

Goats. They eat the grass short, fertilize naturally and taste delicious curried when they are old enough to retire.

OR... Glyphosphate, followed by planted pines which require zero maintainance after the initial install.

JRD77VET 03-17-2018 8:39pm

If you get a self propelled push mower, it'll mow easy. I picked up a 5 year old Lawn Boy for $35 ( 4 stroke, not the lighter 2 stroke ) that is self propelled and all you have to do is walk behind it.

mrvette 03-17-2018 9:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AU Eagle (Post 1619534)
Picture is quite decieving, but I agree it looks to be way more than that. My previous lot was a half acre but it was flat and I just pushed mowed it. I am not push mowing this.

Dunno about your age group, .....BUT everyone in my age group on a hillside here in Florida....one of maybe 5 significant hille....:rofl: on this sand bar.....

I have to say, that my street walks around for the physical workout....and I mow my little 1/4 acre at a high rate of speed.....push mower.....I lean on it and walk FAST as I speed up the RPM on the mower.....I manage the front one day and the back one day.....

I have modded my mowers with large 'barrow' wheels in back so they actually drive/flip.change direction EASY......it's all SAND not a inch of actual factual TURF/DIRT:dance:.....

BUT I get some time outta my lounge chair......snore.....:issues:

Bill 03-17-2018 9:27pm

If only we still had an on-site lawn equipment whisperer who could weigh in on this. Speaking of, anyone heard from Red lately?

78SA 03-17-2018 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1619540)
If only we still had an on-site lawn equipment whisperer who could weigh in on this. Speaking of, anyone heard from Red lately?

He is on Facebook.

78SA 03-17-2018 11:22pm

Lawn tractors are good if you plan on doing anything other than mowing.

RED-85-Z51 03-17-2018 11:26pm

Find a nice used Hustler SuperDuty Zero turn...20ish hp Kawasaki, 48" deck...4k is doable

Black94lt1 03-18-2018 1:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1619532)
My lot in my gated community is 1/2 acre. From that picture, that looks like way more than that. :willy:

Agreed, that last looks as big or bigger than my 3/4 acre. If it is truly a 1/2 acre and you don’t want walk behind, I’d say 42” tractor, zero turn seems like over kill.

My main comment is consider maintenance too. I spend more money/time each year maintaining my tractor than I do the rest of my lawn equipment - belts, greasing spindles, leveling the deck, etc. Granted I believe in a very proactive maintenance program, but it can be a pain

NCC-1701 03-18-2018 4:53am

I have a Snapper zero turn about 3800.00 works great. Mine is a 36" cutter

Olustee bus 03-18-2018 5:55am

What happened to your farm tractor? Or your mule? You are an Auburn fan, right?

09CTSV 03-18-2018 6:15am

I would stay away from the Ferris. They have a great concept but when you think about how the suspension works it's not practical. The each bump and wiggle of the suspension changes the deck height which leads to a scalp spot. If I had to do it all over again I'd go with something else. My next door neighbor had a Scag, he mows quickly and without scalping the lawn. His actually has the suspension seat so you don't get knocked around when you mow over the bumps and such.

marrepka 03-18-2018 6:51am

Love my Toro Timecutter zero turn. Other than the battery, and a new blades (Turns out they can't cut rocks... don't ask) it's been trouble free for 7 years.

69camfrk 03-18-2018 7:33am

1 Attachment(s)
What is wrong with you people? Here is the cheapest, and best mower on the market. Can't believe you haven't gone this route yet...

Attachment 15288

AU Eagle 03-18-2018 7:47am

My thought with the Zero Turn was with the lower center of gravity and the weight focused towards the mid and rear would make it easy on the slope. May not slip as much, but I’m not sure. Uncharted territory for me.

No goats. Wife would name them, we have enough pets.

markids77 03-18-2018 8:30am

Honestly, if all you use the machine for is cutting that 1/2 acre every week you don't need a high dollar machine to do the job. I would not buy a Murray or Sears; but choose a National brand from a local shop that has been in business for awhile so you can be assured of getting parts and service. Go sit on a bunch of machines and one of them will probably feel just right. Buy it and go to work.

EDIT: Always spring for the high back seat option if one is available. Trust me on this one.

mrvette 03-18-2018 9:16am

Once a WEEK?? every other week at MOST....once a MONTH is more like it....

:dance: