The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Said goodbye to our little calico today... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112145)

NEED-A-VETTE 09-24-2017 2:39pm

Said goodbye to our little calico today...

4 Attachment(s)
18 years old. She's been in the beginning stages of kidney disease for a few years now, which vet said was expected for her age. Arthritis in hips that we've been managing for the last year (limited options due to her kidney disease).

Came home from work on Friday. She attempted to stand up on her blanket and greet me, but couldn't quite do it. She let out a meow that was not a normal sounding meow for her. So, I knew something was wrong.

Observed her for about an hour after work and decided she needed to be checked out. Took her to the ER vet. She was crashing. We were optimistic that we may be able to reverse it. She was down to 3 lbs. They gave her subcutaneous fluids and some meds and we brought her home. We had been hand feeding her and giving her food and water via syringe since.

Unfortunately, she was getting progressively worse and we just couldn't watch her suffer. So, we made an appointment this morning and took her in, where they put her down peacefully. The entire way to the vet - and as she sat on the exam room table - she never cried once.

We were able to be there when she passed, so she was surrounded by familiar faces as they have her the first sedation shot.

Her name was Fatso because (when she was a kitten) she was as wide as she was long. She was a fat, little puff ball. We took her in as a stray when I still lived in Michigan and she came with us to Arizona and California. She and caitlin basically grew up together. She was my companion pretty much every day.

She was with us for 18 loving years and we will miss her. :angel:

Bill 09-24-2017 2:44pm

Damn. Sorry for your loss.

Millenium Vette 09-24-2017 2:56pm

:sadangel::sadangel::sadangel:

I've got something in my eye.

Fasglas 09-24-2017 3:00pm

Sad news. Loss of a pet is never easy.

Chuck A 09-24-2017 3:03pm

sorry to hear

MrPeabody 09-24-2017 3:07pm

Sad news. Sorry to hear this. Sounds like she had a great life and you cared for her well.

99 pewtercoupe 09-24-2017 3:12pm

1 Attachment(s)
Looks a lot like our oldest cat
Sashi is almost 17 and seeming in good shape for her age but I'm not sure about the trauma of us moving from Illinois to Florida in two weeks

So sorry for your loss Sandi. It's really tough when we lose a family member :sadangel:

mrvette 09-24-2017 3:18pm

Sorry to hear that, :sadangel: nice fuzzy ball.....the pix with 3 on the bed, two of them look like my cat Bo......same fat tummy and all......the tan one is odd man out from all the recent cats......but your buddy there looks just like/damn close to the one female out of the bunch we rescued from that attic, so the fuzz lives on.....

:cert:

I hit the post button, and look down at my shoes, and there is BO, sound asleep.....nose in my shoe......:lol:

Shrike6 09-24-2017 3:23pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. A pet is a loving member of the family, and it is so painful to lose them.

StaticCling 09-24-2017 3:32pm

I'm very sorry to hear that Sandy. My condolences to you and Robert.

I probably met that cat when I was over at your house years ago. :sadangel:

09CTSV 09-24-2017 3:46pm

So sorry for you loss, it is like losing a member of the family. Each one of ours has taken a little piece of our hearts with them.
:sadangel::sadangel:

78SA 09-24-2017 3:52pm

:sadangel::sadangel:

boracayjohnny 09-24-2017 4:28pm

I'm sorry for your loss. Pets do become members of the family.

Truck Guy 09-24-2017 4:53pm

:sadangel: Sorry...

69camfrk 09-24-2017 4:59pm

Sorry!:sadangel:

Broken Wind 09-24-2017 5:15pm

I hate these stories.

So sorry you had to do that. That grey tabby looks just like my Oscar, who I had to send across the bridge 16 months ago. I still go to his grave and talk to him. He was my lifetime favorite.

VITE1 09-24-2017 5:19pm

:sadangel:

marrepka 09-24-2017 5:26pm

:sadangel::sadangel::sadangel:

So sorry

Dan Dlabay 09-24-2017 5:31pm

Sorry to hear. She led a long life with a good family.:sadangel:

Stevedore 09-24-2017 5:44pm

I'm sorry to hear that; losing a pet is among the hardest of times. 18 years is a good long time though; you must have taken really good care of her.