The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   I'm pretty sure there is a skunk in my basement (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83610)

Broken Wind 06-05-2015 2:37am

I'm pretty sure there is a skunk in my basement

Came in thru the pet door. Had to. How teh fk am I going to get this SOB out of my house without turning this into an epic disaster?

Heading down there now with my varmint killer....

jeebus fkng christ on rubber crutches.

Cover me. I'm going in.

Milton Fox 06-05-2015 2:42am

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...Smiley31-1.gif

Sea Six 06-05-2015 3:18am

Jaybus.

:eek:

carlton_fritz 06-05-2015 3:46am

:popcorns:

kingpin 06-05-2015 4:00am

While we wait...

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/...pseactb0kg.jpg

78SA 06-05-2015 4:06am

:waiting::willy:

Broken Wind 06-05-2015 4:15am

So...

I'm awakened at zero dark thirty by the unmistakable stench of pole cat, or skunk, for the more refined. The effect is like breaking an ammonia capsule under my nose. I am awake. Fcuk.

My cat is walking around the bedroom leaving a vapor trail that all but glows in the moonlight shining thru the bedroom window. Fcuk.

I hear a crash downstairs that I should not be hearing. Fcuk.

Downstairs I go. The whole first floor is smelling like rural route road kill. Fcuk.

At this point, I do what any red blooded American would do; I get on the computer and post about it on an obscure corvette discussion forum. Then I grab a cup of joe, one of several firearms I keep about, and head to the basement.

About halfway down the stairway, I break through a thermal layer that is trying to keep a lid on the nauseating smell. Holy fcuk this stinks.

As I'm searching thru my unfinished basement which serves as a storage area for everything that we don't want and should have gotten rid of a decade or more ago, I hear something rattling the pet door. I quickly look over and observe something poking its head thru the door. It's not one of our numerous four legged pets. It's not a skunk, although there can be no doubt that this interloper is only one in a long line of trespassers this night.

We lock eyes. He blinks and scurries away. Smart move, fcuker.

I barricade the pet door wild-west style with a steamer trunk. Soon I hear the tap, tap, tap of something trying to come thru the door. I look thru the door's window and see two raccoons expressing their frustration with not being able to come into the basement...a place they've obviously been to before this night. I really want to dispatch these fckers, but I don't want my wife to soil herself in bed at the sound of a .45 going off at zero dark forty-five.

I shoot them anyway. With my cellphone camera.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...pslric9ixw.jpg

So the pet door is going to go the way of the dodo bird today. I've got to give my cat a tomato juice bath and clean up the mess in the basement. Yeah, that's what I was planning to do this Friday.

I suppose it's too early for beer.

Fcuk.

Sea Six 06-05-2015 4:52am

This post should be a sticky.

9/10

would read again

wwomanC6 06-05-2015 5:07am

So...you have skunks and racoons in your basement?! :faint:

:skunk:

sanchez 06-05-2015 5:25am

Make sure to put a picture of Richard Gere on the pet door until you can get it sealed up.

DukeAllen 06-05-2015 6:40am

Sounds like Gozar paid you a visit.

Kerrmudgeon 06-05-2015 6:55am

Get a trap, set it with tuna in the can (after making a sandwich with most of the tuna) and leave it overnight. You WILL have him there in the morning.

Then move in slowly on the cage holding an old blanket or thick dark material in front of you and slowly cover the cage. Pick up the cage carry it outside and take him for a long drive. Either shoot it or let it go to live it's days out in a partoral park, or a bad neighbors back yard.:D

I caught 2 or 3 of them a couple of years ago and lived to tell the tale. :yesnod:

If he really stinks he could be wounded. They only fire smelly stuff if they are cornered, scared, or hit. But a recent 'firing' will smell for a long time in their fur. :seasix:

island14 06-05-2015 7:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by wwomanC6 (Post 1364045)
So...you have skunks and racoons in your basement?! :faint:

:skunk:

Naaa...

Quote:

So the pet door is going to go the way of the dodo bird today. I've got to give my cat a tomato juice bath and clean up the mess in the basement. Yeah, that's what I was planning to do this Friday.
I think he just has the racoons and a stinky puzzy. :D

MEC5LADY 06-05-2015 7:06am

Tomato juice isn't going to do much for the smell. Mythbusters did an episode on remedies that worked and the clear winner was dawn dishwashing liquid, peroxide and baking soda mixed together.

Ol Timer 06-05-2015 7:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MEC5LADY (Post 1364069)
Tomato juice isn't going to do much for the smell. Mythbusters did an episode on remedies that worked and the clear winner was dawn dishwashing liquid, peroxide and baking soda mixed together.

:iagree:

We've used this for years. It's cheap and works better than any other remedy. The solution chemically neutralizes the odor. Here ya go:

"There are many versions of the standard home remedy skunk odor neutralizer but most share three basic components: 1 qt. (two standard bottles, available at any drug store) of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide; 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda; and 1 or 2 tsp. of dishwashing detergent or mild shampoo."

Skunk spray is oily and more than one application may be needed.

VITE1 06-05-2015 8:19am

This Thread Rocks!!!

boracayjohnny 06-05-2015 8:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1364097)
This Thread Rocks!!!

Another high quality thread.

onedef92 06-05-2015 12:45pm

and shit....

Nemesis 06-05-2015 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Timer (Post 1364088)

We've used this for years. It's cheap and works better than any other remedy. The solution chemically neutralizes the odor.

What kind of messes are you continually getting into that you have such vast experience with skunk stink?

VITE1 06-05-2015 12:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracayjohnny (Post 1364108)

Another high quality thread.

It really stinks, In a good way.