The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Car/Truck Brands (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Manufacturing defect on my "Porch Makin'" (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132224)

Yadkin 04-26-2023 9:45am

Manufacturing defect on my "Porch Makin'"

1 Attachment(s)
This diagram shows the rear sway bar, left side. There is a welded tab on the subframe that extends over the bar clamp (red circle). Thus the upper bolt passes through the tab, through the cast aluminum clamp, then threads into the subframe; making a very rigid "sandwich".

This seems to be a bit of overkill by the designer, but then again this is one of the best handling SUVs on the planet.

The car developed a rattle over time and I finally traced it to the tab on the passenger side. It was bent up and out of the way and was making intermittent contact, usually on low speed roads with rough pavement, and more so with four passengers.

My guess is that the tab didn't line up on the assembly line so the worker bent it out of the way and sent the vehicle down the line. Over time the rubber in the bar links and clamps deformed to where the parts started to make contact.

This was driving me nuts to the point where I brought it to the dealer in Asheville to diagnose. The mechanic thought it might be the bar links- the bent tab is nearly invisible even on a lift. I only found this when I was replacing the links, as the clamps have to be removed in order to do so.

MadInNc 04-26-2023 10:54am

Porsche Forum 覧覧>

Bored Troll Forum. 覧覧->

Aerovette 04-26-2023 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadInNc (Post 2076317)
Porsche Forum 覧覧>

Bored Troll Forum. 覧覧->

I'm a better Engineer than Porsche has Forum -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

Yadkin 04-26-2023 12:29pm

:Jeff '79:

MadInNc 05-09-2023 1:03pm

1 Attachment(s)
Summary of Mackan quality

bill_daniels 05-09-2023 3:30pm

So, what was the outcome? Did the dealer fix it, or did OP fix it, or did OP just leave it in a bad area with the keys in it and the door open, then call the insurance company?

Yadkin 05-09-2023 4:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 2080177)
So, what was the outcome? Did the dealer fix it, or did OP fix it, or did OP just leave it in a bad area with the keys in it and the door open, then call the insurance company?

The dealer told me that it might be the bar links. When I replaced those I also disconnected the clamps, and when I did, found the defect. Bent the tab back into place, ran the bolts through and problem solved. :seasix: