The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Blood in your Stool (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124123)

higgyburners 11-18-2020 10:47pm

Blood in your Stool

...........for the ol' farts that reach the retirement home.

Blood in the stool can be frightening, whether you discover it while wiping after a bowel movement or from a test ordered by your health care provider. While blood in stool can signal a serious problem, it doesn't always. Here's what you need to know about the possible causes of bloody stools and what you -- and your doctor -- should do if you discover a problem.

Causes of Blood in Stool
Blood in stool means there is bleeding somewhere in your digestive tract. Sometimes the amount of blood is so small that it can only be detected by a fecal occult test (which checks for hidden blood in the stool). At other times it may visible on toilet tissue or in the toilet after a bowel movement as bright red blood. Bleeding that happens higher up in the digestive tract may make stool appear black and tarry.

Possible causes of blood in stool include:

Diverticular disease. Diverticula are small pouches that project from the colon wall. Usually diverticula don't cause problems, but sometimes they can bleed or become infected.

Anal fissure. A small cut or tear in the tissue lining the anus similar to the cracks that occur in chapped lips or a paper cut. Fissures are often caused by passing a large, hard stool and can be painful.

Colitis. Inflammation of the colon. Among the more common causes are infections or inflammatory bowel disease.

Angiodysplasia. A condition in which fragile, abnormal blood vessels lead to bleeding.

Peptic ulcers. An open sore in the lining of the stomach or duodenum, the upper end of the small intestine. Many peptic ulcers are caused by infection with a bacterium called Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori). Long-term use or high doses of anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and naproxen can also cause ulcers.

Polyps or cancer. Polyps are benign growths that can grow, bleed, and could become cancerous. Colorectal cancer is the fourth most common cancer in the U.S. It often causes bleeding that is not noticeable with the naked eye.

Esophageal problems. Varicose veins of the esophagus or tears in the esophagus can lead to severe blood loss.

Steve_R 11-18-2020 11:11pm

Are you trying to tell us something?

Anjdog2003 11-18-2020 11:12pm

Should be a sticky. :yesnod:

MadInNc 11-19-2020 12:38am

tahnks

Murray 11-19-2020 6:31am

Shitty thread is shitty

RMVette 11-19-2020 6:39am

Great, now I have to worry about that too for when I get old.

snide 11-19-2020 7:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1824037)
Are you trying to tell us something?

Higgy has horrible ass cancer? :shrug:

Mick 11-19-2020 7:12am

Taking large amounts of NSAIDs over a long period of time can cause bloody stools as well. If this happens to you, stop taking the NSAID immediately, and call your Doctor. :yesnod:

Vandelay Industries 11-19-2020 7:40am

1 Attachment(s)
And the # 1 cause is.....

Attachment 49216

Chuck A 11-19-2020 8:20am

when i drink heavy i usually have some blood in stool, as long as it doesnt happen daily i usually dont worry about it

LisaJohn 11-19-2020 8:20am

You forgot one!

RMVette 11-19-2020 8:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck A (Post 1824085)
when i drink heavy i usually have some blood in stool, as long as it doesnt happen daily i usually dont worry about it

Is that after you wake up in a strange hotel room?

mrvette 11-19-2020 8:30am

A couple weeks ago, I goofed and ordered TWO of those green hot spicey burgers from Whattaburger across the highway .....I LOVE their typical burgers but those were absolute POISON....just 1/2 of one burger and my gut burned like a branding iron....followed up with a tumbler of baking soda, which lessened the burn a good bit,....BUT caused rectal bleeding the next day and the bleeding got worse.....one day it was really bad toward end of week, so to the ER and finger in the butt.....so it stopped the next day.....they did set up for a camera exam on Monday, but I cancelled the apt. when the bleeding stopped.....

I NEED ibuprofen for the arthritis and lo back issues......kant win.....age 76..

:issues:

Chuck A 11-19-2020 8:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMVette (Post 1824089)
Is that after you wake up in a strange hotel room?

dwjz06 11-19-2020 8:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries (Post 1824074)
And the # 1 cause is.....

Attachment 49216

:rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1824086)
You forgot one!

:bigears:

SnikPlosskin 11-19-2020 8:58am

Common symptom of Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

LisaJohn 11-19-2020 9:45am

Hemorrhoids

MikeB 11-19-2020 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1824114)
Hemorrhoids

What a pain in the ass.:leaving:

Steve_R 11-19-2020 10:23am

I've heard it can be caused by drinking buttermilk, and is DEFINITELY caused by eating cornbread in buttermilk. :flush:

snide 11-19-2020 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve_R (Post 1824122)
I've heard it can be caused by drinking buttermilk, and is DEFINITELY caused by eating cornbread in buttermilk. :flush:

*DEFIANTLY