The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The Californina DMV (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119380)

Wathen1955 05-15-2019 1:44pm

The Californina DMV

This has to be the worst government agency in this state.

Last year in February 2018, I decided to get my license updated for 2 reasons:
1. In October 1, 2020, in order to travel you have to get the new license that is approved by the feds
2. I moved and my old license showed a very old address

I make an appointment and go down to DMV to get it update. I pay the $36 fee and received a temp license until my new one arrives. So I figured I was done for another 5 years before dealing with the DMV.

While talking to my wife about the license (she is talking about getting her's updated), I noticed that the expiration date was 5-8-2019! WTF? I just renewed this last year.

So I get on the web and try to schedule an appointment - July 22, 2019. WTF? Really?

So now I decided to simply just go there and wait in line. I arrived 15 minutes before they open, and there are already 50+ people waiting in line. After going through all the steps to get it corrected, I had to pay the fee again, $36, take a vision test, take a written test, have my picture taken again, and then finally got a temp license until the new one arrives in the mail.

The gal told me I should have waited until it was almost expired before updating it. WTF?

I don't know how it is in other states, but this department needs a complete OVERHAUL.

JetMechZ16 05-15-2019 2:06pm

They weren't any better when I moved out of that state back in 1985.

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 2:13pm

Problem is, every time they "overhaul" it, it gets worse. I have lost count over the last few decades of how many times they trashed tens of millions of dollars worth of defective computer hardware and software and started over.

A few years ago I actually benefitted from their incompetence. I had moved, so I went there to do a simple change of address on my license which had a year or two left on it. I went in person because the picture on my license was over ten years old from renewing by mail. They just reuse the old picture. I wanted a new one.

So about halfway through the process, the lady says "Damn! I entered this as a renewal, not a change of address. I'm not going to start over. This is your lucky day. You're getting a renewal good for five years."

No written test, no eye test (I'm already flagged for corrective lenses) and minimal fee. I can't remember how much. Just had my picture taken and got the license in the mail not long after that. Felt like I won the lottery.

Mike Mercury 05-15-2019 2:25pm

https://s.driving-tests.org/img/lice...rs-license.jpg

https://static.thefederalistpapers.o...-messed-up.jpg

DAB 05-15-2019 2:27pm

our NM MVD (motor vehicle dept) is so good, that private, for profit companies exist in the same cities that the MVD have an office, and offer, for a fee, to do everything the state agency does, but in a simpler, more efficient manner - once you get called (and you can make an appt), you walk up to one clerk, and she/he does everything you need done. new DL, done. new car registration (like we moved into the state with cars), done. new tags, done. easy peasy. they charge the same state mandated fees as the MVD, and they also add a fee for their services, which we are happy to pay to avoid the MVD hell (went there once, what a mess of confusion and disorder).

so, that's how great our MVD is, they have private competition. that stays in business!

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 2:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1670385)
our NM MVD (motor vehicle dept) is so good, that private, for profit companies exist in the same cities that the MVD have an office, and offer, for a fee, to do everything the state agency does, but in a simpler, more efficient manner - once you get called (and you can make an appt), you walk up to one clerk, and she/he does everything you need done. new DL, done. new car registration (like we moved into the state with cars), done. new tags, done. easy peasy. they charge the same state mandated fees as the MVD, and they also add a fee for their services, which we are happy to pay to avoid the MVD hell (went there once, what a mess of confusion and disorder).

so, that's how great our MVD is, they have private competition. that stays in business!

We have those here, too. Retired DMV people often work there. A friend of mine owns one of them. You can find them online, too. Best way here is to have AAA towing service, then you can do most DMV business at their office with no extra charges. Can't renew a license there, though.

Wathen1955 05-15-2019 2:45pm

LOL I even misspelled the acronym. DMV

Forgot to mention that I had to use their PC's to take the test, and 1 of them crashed, 2 others when you clicked on a link for the test, nothing happened on the screen. I thought something was wrong with this one, but about 1 minute later, it advanced to the test. You would think that the software developer would have put a screen that says just a moment while we load the test or something to that effect. Oh I forgot - it went to the lowest bidder.

StaticCling 05-15-2019 2:46pm

My wife did the real ID thing recently and she literally spent about 9 hours at the DMV. My license expires in 2021, and I am not looking forward to this ordeal.

However, they are starting to come under major scrutiny with the State Government and Media.

StaticCling 05-15-2019 2:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1670389)
We have those here, too. Retired DMV people often work there. A friend of mine owns one of them. You can find them online, too. Best way here is to have AAA towing service, then you can do most DMV business at their office with no extra charges. Can't renew a license there, though.

I was wondering that. So AAA won't deal with the license stuff. Good to know.

Mike Mercury 05-15-2019 2:48pm

if it gets boring... skip to: 1:09

:rofl:

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 2:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1670392)
I was wondering that. So AAA won't deal with the license stuff. Good to know.

They can do a change of address, but they are not set up for vision tests, written and driving tests, photographs, etc.

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 2:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wathen1955 (Post 1670390)
LOL I even misspelled the acronym. DMV

Forgot to mention that I had to use their PC's to take the test, and 1 of them crashed, 2 others when you clicked on a link for the test, nothing happened on the screen. I thought something was wrong with this one, but about 1 minute later, it advanced to the test. You would think that the software developer would have put a screen that says just a moment while we load the test or something to that effect. Oh I forgot - it went to the lowest bidder.

Or maybe the largest campaign donor.:yesnod:

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 2:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1670391)
My wife did the real ID thing recently and she literally spent about 9 hours at the DMV. My license expires in 2021, and I am not looking forward to this ordeal.

However, they are starting to come under major scrutiny with the State Government and Media.

AAA can't do the real ID thing either. The lady at AAA did tell me something I did not know, though. A passport will do everything the real ID will do, except one thing - purchase of a firearm.

mrvette 05-15-2019 3:38pm

Waited at the Orange Park locak DMV orifice for about 5 minits, guy called me up and he said my license needed a new pix, like every 5 years or so.....so new pix, new finger prints, and made in about ten minits on the machine right there.....total time about 30 minits......can't bitch.....:dance:

Barn Babe 05-15-2019 4:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1670398)
Waited at the Orange Park locak DMV orifice for about 5 minits, guy called me up and he said my license needed a new pix, like every 5 years or so.....so new pix, new finger prints, and made in about ten minits on the machine right there.....total time about 30 minits......can't bitch.....:dance:

Similar experience here earlier this month. Without an appointment. I can attest that the CA DMV is a NIGHTMARE!!!:banghead:

Nox 05-15-2019 4:29pm

Quote:

I went to the DMV Drivers license processing center. They only do Drivers licenses. I made an appointment online in advance. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.

Nox 05-15-2019 4:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1670396)
AAA can't do the real ID thing either. The lady at AAA did tell me something I did not know, though. A passport will do everything the real ID will do, except one thing - purchase of a firearm.

Can you drive a car using your passport as a license? :rofl:

StaticCling 05-15-2019 5:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1670407)
I went to the DMV Drivers license processing center. They only do Drivers licenses. I made an appointment online in advance. I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.

Where is this?

Just looked it up, the one on San Fernando Mission in Granada Hills, that's close to my house...

FYI, that entire shopping center is going to be torn down and Condo's are going up. :yesnod:

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 5:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1670408)

You can get a real ID that is not a driver's license. I was referring to ID uses.

Nox 05-15-2019 5:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1670412)
Where is this?

Just looked it up, the one on San Fernando Mission in Granada Hills, that's close to my house...

FYI, that entire shopping center is going to be torn down and Condo's are going up. :yesnod:

I recommend you go and get it done before they do.

MrPeabody 05-15-2019 5:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barn Babe (Post 1670399)
Similar experience here earlier this month. Without an appointment. I can attest that the CA DMV is a NIGHTMARE!!!:banghead:

The problem is, you can do all the routine DMV stuff online, so many of the people doing something at the DMV in person have some sort of complication. With no tickets, I have renewed my driver's license by mail/online for years. Also registrations, etc. I think the only time I've gone to the DMV in person was to get handicapped plates for the wife's car and to update the photo on my license, which I described above. And that was not necessary, it was my choice.

The big city DMV offices are really crowded, though. Not too bad in the small town I live in. In 2001 I had to go to a DMV in a big city to get a Vehicle Sales License, and that was an all day project. This was back in the days before appointments, I believe. I also had to go get fingerprinted at another location then go back to the DMV. The fingerprinting thing was new then for Vehicle Sales and no one at the dealership knew about it.

Wathen1955 05-15-2019 7:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1670415)
The problem is, you can do all the routine DMV stuff online, so many of the people doing something at the DMV in person have some sort of complication. With no tickets, I have renewed my driver's license by mail/online for years.

This is true. I normally don't go there, as I do all on-line. I've had zero tickets for 30+ years, so it's a simple renewal on-line. But this change for the driver license to meet fed requirements, I thought by doing it early I would avoid all the people that go there in the last minute. Like I stated, I already went ahead and had it renewed, paid the fee, only to discover I had to go back on my birthday this year and repeat the entire process again a year later. I even tried to renew the license on their web site, but it gave me an error that I did not qualify.
I guess I can consider my self lucky getting out of there in 2 hours.

Y2Kvert4me 05-15-2019 8:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wathen1955 (Post 1670376)
In October 1, 2020, in order to travel you have to get the new license that is approved by the feds

I wouldn't bet on that.

The "goes into effect next year" hype has been happening since 2008. :yesnod:
They might claim 10/1/20 now, but every year it gets pushed to a later date.

I last renewed my d/l in 2013, and though I intended to get the (optional) "real ID" at that time, I took the wrong version of my birth cert, which the DMV wouldn't accept as valid. :spdchk:
So rather than return and go through that bs a second time, I just opted for the "old" (non fed-compliant) renewal on the spot, with the warning it may not be valid for air travel "next year". :Jeff '79: It expires in 2021....I highly doubt I'll need to renew it before then.

:cert:

NEED-A-VETTE 05-15-2019 9:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1670412)
Where is this?

Not surprised. It’s kind of a low rent area for retail and the buildings seem to be a little run down.

They’re building condos/apartments there on Sepulveda right next to my office. Down by the Mission Division LAPD station. That’s a tight space but they’re stacking them in there. :willy:

I’ll miss that DMV location in Granada Hills, though. It’s right around the corner from work. :nonod: With an appointment, I can be in and out during lunch.

Black94lt1 05-16-2019 6:17am

My wife just had the same, renewed 8 months early as she was as titling her new car, they gave her all kinds of crap as it was not within the 6 month window

dvarapala 05-16-2019 7:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wathen1955 (Post 1670376)
The gal told me I should have waited until it was almost expired before updating it. WTF?

I don't know how it is in other states, but this department needs a complete OVERHAUL.

I kinda like how AZ does it - your driver's license doesn't expire until you're like 65. But yeah, the DMV has always been under-funded and short-handed, which means the lines are always miserably long. Even if you make an appointment all that means is you get to stand in a shorter line. Fortunately I waited until I got my renewal notice in the mail before starting the RealID process. The lady behind the counter said it's a good thing I brought my renewal notice with me, because without it I would have had to take the written test. SRSLY? Your computer doesn't contain that information??

:rolleyes:

dvarapala 05-16-2019 7:18am

Quote:

My wife did the real ID thing recently and she literally spent about 9 hours at the DMV.

I was in and out in about half an hour. About 15-20 minutes of that was just waiting for my number to be called :shrug:

My keys to success:
I waited until my renewal notice came.
I completed the online portion with id.me ahead of time from home - if you don't do this, they make you go to a computer kiosk right there in the DMV and do that part, with 1000 other people looking over your shoulder.
I made an appointment with the DMV.

6spdC6 05-16-2019 9:51am

Years back NY DMV was quite the operation. At all levels it seemed like they went out of their way to make things nasty. This was pre computer era and you had to go to a office for many things.

There was one office that actually had a sign in their break room that said.

"just because were civil servants does not mean we have to be civil"

Cybercowboy 05-16-2019 10:24am

The DMV here in Joplin is actually sorta functional. You can do your tag renewal online easily so the only reason to go there normally is to renew your license every six years, and last time I did it I was in and out in a few minutes. They just punch a hole in your old license and that allows it to be valid for 30 more days past expiration (if needed) until your new one arrives, which takes like five days or so. That said, they just now have the new type of licenses that the feds are requiring (we were one of the last states to get around to doing this) so I'll need to get mine soon.

snide 05-16-2019 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1670486)
The DMV here in Joplin is actually sorta functional. You can do your tag renewal online easily so the only reason to go there normally is to renew your license every six years, and last time I did it I was in and out in a few minutes. They just punch a hole in your old license and that allows it to be valid for 30 more days past expiration (if needed) until your new one arrives, which takes like five days or so. That said, they just now have the new type of licenses that the feds are requiring (we were one of the last 50 states to get around to doing this) so I'll need to get mine soon.

Fixed. :D

Wathen1955 05-16-2019 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1670469)
I was in and out in about half an hour. About 15-20 minutes of that was just waiting for my number to be called :shrug:

My keys to success:
I completed the online portion with id.me ahead of time from home - if you don't do this, they make you go to a computer kiosk right there in the DMV and do that part, with 1000 other people looking over your shoulder.

Yeah I had to wait about 20 minutes for my number to be called. They should have stated when I went down there last year that I had to wait 6 months prior to the due date. There was no mentioned of that anywhere. I was trying to be proactive in getting it done earlier than later to avoid the mad rush towards the 10-1-2020 date.

NEED-A-VETTE 05-16-2019 3:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1670469)

My keys to success:

This.

The CA DMV is consistently 8+ weeks out with their appointment times. If you always keep that in mind, you’ll have no problems. :shrug:

NEED-A-VETTE 05-16-2019 3:16pm

Quote:

I did my real ID at the GH location. No issues. :cheers:

Make sure you have everything filled out ahead of time. Forms are on the web. Check for accepted forms of proof of identity. The lady at the DMV told me that’s where most people have issues.

mrvette 05-16-2019 4:06pm

When moving to Florida from Md. my Md license was not enuff, and all the rest was not either, had to get a registered b/cert from Glen Burnie Md......

took a week, woopie doo.....

:lol:

dvarapala 05-16-2019 4:26pm

One other tip: If you want your PO BOX address to appear on your license, you need at least one piece of paper (e.g. utility bill) with both your street address and your PO BOX address on it. :yesnod:

JRD77VET 05-16-2019 7:05pm

Add PA to the list of dysfunctional DMV services. I understand folks with disabilities need jobs too but make sure they can actually do the job you put them in.

If there are more than 5 persons there, you know it'll be at least 45 minutes. One time I was there and a parent came in with their soon to driving daughter and after getting a number, realized they didn't have her birth certificate. They drove home 10 miles away to get it and made it back with plenty of time before their number was called.

Oh, there is always the "big dude" making sure you get a number.

A couple renewals ago, they had a nice pleasant lady who took all your info and hand wrote it down in a ledger. The problem was she had a stroke and had extreme difficulties writing the number "3". It literally took a full minute of struggle for her to write the number 3. ( my DL has three #3's in it :banghead: ) I truly felt bad for her.

The last two renewals ( at the same location ) they have a young lady with Downs in that position. She does her job well and kept the line moving at a good pace.

markids77 05-16-2019 7:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1670408)

No you can't. AND in the state of Georgia, you cannot use your passport as an ID to obtain your real ID driver's license. Valid the world over our DMV fails to recognize "the gold standard" for proof of citizenship. They will however accept the envelope for an electric or telephone bill as proof of address. Go figure...

MrPeabody 05-16-2019 7:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1670516)
No you can't. AND in the state of Georgia, you cannot use your passport as an ID to obtain your real ID driver's license. Valid the world over our DMV fails to recognize "the gold standard" for proof of citizenship. They will however accept the envelope for an electric or telephone bill as proof of address. Go figure...

California wants to see a lot more documents for a real ID than I had to show to get my Passport.

boracayjohnny 05-17-2019 1:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1670494)
This.

The CA DMV is consistently 8+ weeks out with their appointment times. If you always keep that in mind, you’ll have no problems. :shrug:

When we moved here, I had no problem. I went to the one on Vanowen. I got there 30 mins or so before they opened and waited in line for an hour or so maybe two even, I was prepared. Small talked the lady who waited on me and got my plates. She even loaned me a screw driver to put the new plates on. I had one in the trunk but I didn't even get that far in telling her. She just asked if I wanted to use a screw driver. Lol, she saved me the huge effort of opening the trunk. I had time, a phone with internet, and I was good. Now, next time may be different....

09CTSV 05-18-2019 6:06pm

Couldn't even use a military ID card to get the Real ID. The whole thing is a piece of crap.

boracayjohnny 05-18-2019 6:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1670681)
Couldn't even use a military ID card to get the Real ID. The whole thing is a piece of crap.

It's prolly because the DMV is dumb. They don't "talk" to the .gov and operate independently dumb. Maybe that's good. With the way the fukk things up, I don't want them access to my other .gov info.