The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Serendipity and watches (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126083)

Loco Vette 06-19-2021 10:01pm

Serendipity and watches

2 Attachment(s)
So my last surviving grandparent passed in 1995, the same year I graduated from med school. With the inheritance I was left I bought the watch you seen on my wrist below. Over the intervening 26 years I have paid at least 5x what I originally paid for it to keep it running. Well the date function quit about 2 weeks ago.

As most of you know, I lost Mom in August. At a fundraiser for a charity that meant a lot to both of us the watch in the box came up and I got it for 60% of its appraisal value. Love you Mom.

Stangkiller 06-19-2021 11:17pm

Very neat Val, congrats! So youre retiring the Tag?

Millenium Vette 06-19-2021 11:48pm

Cool watches Doc! That engine-turned bezel on the Rolex is rarely seen in gold.

Is The TAG automatic or quartz? If it's quartz it's probably not an expensive movement to replace. I have a diver from that era and it has an ordinary ETA quartz movement from what my jeweler said.

:cert:

VITE1 06-20-2021 6:47am

Great story and nice watches.

Loco Vette 06-20-2021 8:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1890065)
Very neat Val, congrats! So youre retiring the Tag?

Yeah. It's time.

Loco Vette 06-20-2021 9:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 1890068)
Is The TAG automatic or quartz? If it's quartz it's probably not an expensive movement to replace. I have a diver from that era and it has an ordinary ETA quartz movement from what my jeweler said.

:cert:

I'll take it in to get looked at. Probably wind up getting it fixed and display it somehow.

StaticCling 06-20-2021 9:53am

Very nice, wear it in good health!

I love my Rolex. :)

Fyi, looks like that bracelet might have a little bit of stretch, could be the pics. Rolliworks is the place to go for tightening up those bracelets. :kimblair:

m and t's77 06-20-2021 10:17am

Quote:

Over the intervening 26 years I have paid at least 5x what I originally paid for it to keep it running.
Truth I have had my Tag for 24 years and over the course of time getting its battery replaced through the Tag store was just crazy.Finally gave in and let the local jeweler replace the battery at a fraction of the cost.I hardly wear a watch nowadays as it is.

Loco Vette 06-20-2021 10:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by StaticCling (Post 1890117)
Very nice, wear it in good health!

I love my Rolex. :)

Fyi, looks like that bracelet might have a little bit of stretch, could be the pics. Rolliworks is the place to go for tightening up those bracelets. :kimblair:

Actually it is too small for my wrist. I'll have to get a link added or something.

snide 06-20-2021 11:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 1890130)
Actually it is too small for my wrist. I'll have to get a link added or something.

I don't want to know how much just a link costs. :willy: Nice watch though. I've always wanted a Rolex. I'll be waiting awhile though, as I don't wear the watches that I do have. :shrug: