The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Canned the first three jars of jalapenos and cherry peppers ( w/recipe) (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129131)

JRD77VET 07-24-2022 6:15pm

Canned the first three jars of jalapenos and cherry peppers ( w/recipe)

1 Attachment(s)
Now to wait for a 6 months until they're ready to eat. :drool:

Wash and slit each pepper or cut in strips,
Pack in hot sterile jars/with garlic.
1 half tsb. of mustard seed
1 half tsb pickling salt
Heat to a boil 1 cup white vinegar
1 half cup of water for each pint

This is what I do. Wash peppers
Core the pepper and cut in half, Leave seeds in.
Boil the jar’s and leave jars in the hot water until your ready to fill them.
Warm the lids in warm water. Boil vinegar and water
I put 3 to 4 garlic cloves in a jar, add salt and mustard seed.
Add peppers and pour boiled vinegar and water in jar
Leave about a half to one inch space from top of jar.
Sit warm lid on jar and snug lid.

I only use Heinz distilled white vinegar in glass jars
I don’t do a hot water bath on the full jars because it will make the peppers get soft faster.

RonC5 07-24-2022 6:29pm

Shall I send my address?

Dan47 07-24-2022 6:32pm

Looks awesome. I have a garden and the next step is learning to preserve. Wish my Grandma was still alive. She knew how to do all this stuff.

JRD77VET 07-24-2022 6:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan47 (Post 1973811)
Looks awesome. I have a garden and the next step is learning to preserve. Wish my Grandma was still alive. She knew how to do all this stuff.

This is the easiest canning, This is what you want to start with.

A hot water "sealing bath" is NOT required for these. Use hot water to heat the jars, dump in the pickling salt and mustard seed. Pack the jars, add the heated liquid and put on the hot lids and use the sealing ring to tighten down.

Leave them alone for 24 hours and then wait :toetap:

JRD77VET 07-24-2022 6:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 1973807)
Shall I send my address?

Just print the recipe so I don't have to mail it to you :D

Sea Kelp 07-24-2022 6:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan47 (Post 1973811)

One of my greatest regrets is not paying more/better attention when my parents & grandparents were doing these things. :slap:

thanks OP for the instructions

VatorMan 07-24-2022 7:42pm

Just remember, any kind of meat -and that includes meat stock, requires a pressure canner.
It is time to start canning veggies. Pickled anything is so easy. More people should make their own fresh pickles.

ratflinger 07-24-2022 8:35pm

My uncle told me stories about when he was a kid, on the farm. They didn't have freezers yet so when they slaughtered a hog they made a lot of sausage. One kind was canned sausage. My grandmother would fry up a large amount of patties and place these in a glass jar, then fill the jar with the hot grease, and put the lid on. He said they were as good coming out of the jar as when they went in.

Don Rickles 07-25-2022 7:51am

1 Attachment(s)
Ahhh, this thread is right up my alley! Jarring, and pickling, is a favorite of mine:hurray:
Our basil exploded this year, so the wife made 5lbs. of pesto, I vacuum packed and froze it. As we speak I have a 5 gallon stoneware pot filled with cuc's, with another few days until ready!

Pictured is a nice variety, bread and butter, dill pickled cuc's and tomatoes! Along with some homegrown herbs!

DJ_Critterus 07-25-2022 8:28am

I jar and preserve my spaghetti sauce I make. That stuff will last for years if done right.

JRD77VET 07-25-2022 7:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1973873)
I jar and preserve my spaghetti sauce I make. That stuff will last for years if done right.

My wife's spaghetti meat sauce gets frozen but she has to make it about every 3 months as we eat it. :drool:

Torqaholic 07-25-2022 8:42pm

Love those canned cherry peppers. Used to buy gallon jars of them and take a half-full ziplock to work every day in my lunch. Unfortunately the supermarket closed down, haven't seen any for sale since :(

JRD77VET 07-25-2022 8:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqaholic (Post 1974035)
Love those canned cherry peppers. Used to buy gallon jars of them and take a half-full ziplock to work every day in my lunch. Unfortunately the supermarket closed down, haven't seen any for sale since :(

www.fatheadpeppers.net :drool:

Louie Detroit 07-25-2022 9:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Rickles (Post 1973861)
Ahhh, this thread is right up my alley! Jarring, and pickling, is a favorite of mine:hurray:
Our basil exploded this year, so the wife made 5lbs. of pesto, I vacuum packed and froze it. As we speak I have a 5 gallon stoneware pot filled with cuc's, with another few days until ready!

Pictured is a nice variety, bread and butter, dill pickled cuc's and tomatoes! Along with some homegrown herbs!

For whatever reason the grocery store price of pickled foods has gone apeshit. I recently purchased an 8oz jar of generic name hamburger dill pickles for $2.69. Holy shit, just a few years ago you could get a 16oz jar for $0.99 or less.

Grey Ghost 07-25-2022 10:56pm

I have a question. I have ordered from Johnny Sanchez a few times. His pickled jalepenos ALWAYS have a - snap, crunch texture to them. They are never soft and mushy like I get from local mex. restaurants. He also includes some pickled red onion..but, the jalepenos you can just eat with nothing else.

How does he achieve that?

His taco combo kit is off the charts!!!

https://www.goldbelly.com/johnny-sanchez

Don Rickles 07-26-2022 7:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey Ghost (Post 1974050)
I have a question. I have ordered from Johnny Sanchez a few times. His pickled jalepenos ALWAYS have a - snap, crunch texture to them. They are never soft and mushy like I get from local mex. restaurants. He also includes some pickled red onion..but, the jalepenos you can just eat with nothing else.

How does he achieve that?

His taco combo kit is off the charts!!!

https://www.goldbelly.com/johnny-sanchez

I think it's because they probably add a product called "Pickle Crisp", it's really just calcium chloride.

simpleman68 07-26-2022 7:13am

Hell yeah! Those will be outstanding when they're ready.
Scott

Mike Mercury 07-28-2022 9:49am

https://blogger.googleusercontent.co...cb4734_500.jpg

JRD77VET 07-28-2022 6:50pm

Well done MM :clap:

Don Rickles 08-05-2022 11:32am

1 Attachment(s)
My Garlic Jewish Pickles are done! They got a little extra kick too! I added a bit more crushed red pepper than I usually do! OMG, they are delicious!:hurray: