The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   [BRIV] What are your ideas? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52060)

Rob 05-26-2013 9:47am

[BRIV] What are your ideas?

Now that we are wrapping up this years Barn Raising - What are your ideas for the next event?

Where would you like to go?

How far would you be willing to travel?

What events would you like to include?

What would you like to see changed from this and previous years events?

If you have never attended, what could be done in order to get you to an event in order to encourage the growth of this event?

Would you like to change the date of the event and if so, what time frame is better or you?

I know a few of us have talked a little over the weekend but I would like to hear from everyone. Yes, even those that that have not gone in the past. :cert:

This is the only time that many of us get together and get to hang out in person. I do enjoy the face time and the building of friendships that come from this event and would like to see this and many more people build those relationships with one another.

It is up to us to make this a successful (and annual) event and everyones opinion is greatly appreciated. :seasix:

Hope everyone traveling home have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend please remember to show your support to those who have served our country.

:USA:

Millenium Vette 05-26-2013 10:20am

I've never attended BR or CI because it falls on one of the few weeks/weekends when I have stuff I can't get out of. Where it is held is really secondary to me, since the main reason I would like to go is to meet up with the people that make this place what it is. Oh, and the food. I really want to pig out on the Smack.

:cert:

NikiQ 05-26-2013 10:31am

Does anybody know the original reason for having CI/BR over the Memorial Day weekend?

Jeff '79 05-26-2013 10:35am

My wife gets two weeks off from work, and those two weeks are generally booked. The only way that I would be able to go, is if it was really close to my house, (within 3 hours drive), or if I got divorced. If I got divorced, I wouldn't be able to afford to go then.:D
It's fun watching you guys have at it via the net though...:seasix:

Sea Six 05-26-2013 10:36am

We could have it at my house. Everyone bring tents.

I can fit up to eight of you in the Stabbin' Cabbin.

:hurray:

Grey Ghost 05-26-2013 10:37am

I still think one of the Rod Runs in Pigeon Forge, TN. would make for a great venue. Thousands of cars (old and new), shows, golf (mini and real), museums, attractions, rental cabins, hotels, shopping, cruises through the mtns., etc....Even if it never happens for a BR. I encourage everyone to attend at least once in their life.

GRN ENVY 05-26-2013 10:42am

As always I had a blast. My only reservation is, I would like to have some variety on the different events. To me all the brewery's are the same. I like going because of the people.

I would think that doing a two day rally could be fun. You get in bowling green Wednesday night. On Thursday you head a couple hours away and tour a historic place, drive another few hours to another town tour something else. stay the night in some neat town. On Friday loop back around to bowling green after stopping a few more places for tours/ sites. You get back Friday night chill at the Hampton and get up Saturday for racing at the new ncm track or head to Nashville for a day at the grand ole opry, or walk around Down town. Who knows.

I think we can all agree that we would want a bit of a closer drive from our homes. Only issue is someone somewhere will end up having to drive much farther, or end up flying. Bowling green is pretty much near the center, just think we need to expand our radius for events.

I would love a year in Florida for one. Could set up a lot of neat events, like a sun rise to sunset run. Post up on east coast to watch it rise and make a run to the west side for the sunset and stop in some old Florida towns. I know Florida is much of a far reach. But would like to entertain the idea of different areas to do BR in

Mike Mercury 05-26-2013 12:22pm

Yvonne and I stopped going to the CF CI's... mainly due to having little to do once there (we don't consume the brew). But with the BR's excursions to various sites... it really makes for a rewarding experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NikiQ (Post 963096)
Does anybody know the original reason for having CI/BR over the Memorial Day weekend?

It helps me; mainly due to the fact I don't travel well. The holiday serves a recovery-day for me. If the BR was on a non-holiday weekend; I'd probably only stay one night.

DAB 05-26-2013 12:27pm

1200 mile trip each way for me. Circumstances beyond my control kept me home this year. Museum is nice, but once you've seen it, you're good. Enjoyed just hanging out with peeps. After 2 long days of driving, another full day isn't that appealing. Would like a different date. Enjoy watching the racing this weekend. Dallas is a one day drive.

FasterTraffic 05-26-2013 1:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRN ENVY (Post 963107)
I think we can all agree that we would want a bit of a closer drive from our homes. Only issue is someone somewhere will end up having to drive much farther, or end up flying. Bowling green is pretty much near the center, just think we need to expand our radius for events.

:skep:

Center of what? The geographic center of the 48 states would be Kansas.

kylebuck 05-26-2013 1:52pm

From what ive discussed with a few members is that its mirror images from year to year. I suggest somewhere that would offer a variety.

beadist 05-26-2013 2:02pm

Don't get me wrong...I LOVE to drive....but I like hanging out with the people more. Plus I hate getting up so early in the morning, driving to an event for 4-5 hours, taking, editing and posting photos, rushing to shower and change clothes, and then shooting and posting thru out the evening till I'm dead at 10PM. I'm ok with one day like that but 3 are exhausting.

I was going to skip most of the trips this year so I could have more energy for the evening fun. I don't just sit around in the lot as many of you may remember from last year. Besides Joey was always in my chair till it collapsed on him :lol: I missed that fun cause I was asleep....

I'm older than 98-100% of the rest of you and I don't move as fast as 100% of y'all.

Damn....that C7 pace car looks gorgeous....

Ok, back on topic:D Pigeon Forge sounds like a cool place. I'm fine with the event being in KY or TN on any weekend. I think we should try another weekend so the people who can never do Memorial Day weekend can have a chance to attend.

DAB 05-26-2013 2:11pm

:toetap:

young lady, you are only as old as you feel....hmmm....oh, nevermind.

99 pewtercoupe 05-26-2013 2:21pm

I think the idea of a weekend other than the Memorial Day holiday sounds good. Several people have said they basically can't come that weekend.
I also like the idea of having it in different places. The Pigeon Ford suggestion was a good one and there have to be a lot of other good ideas. While Marcus's suggestions about Florida sound like fun, that is too far a drive for most people for even a long weekend.

I hope this thread generates a lot of ideas and discussion

Mike Mercury 05-26-2013 2:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 963206)
I think the idea of a weekend other than the Memorial Day holiday sounds good. Several people have said they basically can't come that weekend.

Labor Day is a 3 day weekend. :yesnod:

and it should be cool (temperature) as well.

Gozar 05-26-2013 2:56pm

VEGAS!!!!

DAB 05-26-2013 2:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gozar (Post 963215)
VEGAS!!!!

plenty of rooms, good food, sights to see, fair evenings if you avoid mid-summer.

640 miles one way, a one day drive....:hurray:

and if we didn't want to hang out in a parking lot, bet we could rent out an air conditioned meeting room to hang out in.

lspencer534 05-26-2013 3:07pm

You asked for even non-attendee's suggestions, so here goes:

Every car club in the World does pretty much the same things at conventions/meeting/etc.: Museum tour, rally, local attraction tour, dinners. But...here are some fun things I remember from past meetings:

Bare-Knuckle Boxing

Guess the Johnson/Bra Size

Dagger and Hatchet Throwing

Shooting Insulators Off Electric Poles

Baptismals

Gator Wrestling

Name that Drug! (Contestants reach into a bowl of assorted pills, ingest one, and try to name it)

Scorpion Catching

CP 05-26-2013 3:20pm

Memorial Day is kind of a family type holiday. I would guess you don't get many family types at BRxx. The way BR is structured, it is not for families but mainly people without children who don't really have a need to be home for Memorial Day. They can just pick up and go.

Don't be hatin'.

CP 05-26-2013 3:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 963206)
I also like the idea of having it in different places. The Pigeon Ford suggestion was a good one and there have to be a lot of other good ideas. While Marcus's suggestions about Florida sound like fun, that is too far a drive for most people for even a long weekend.

I hope this thread generates a lot of ideas and discussion

*Forge