The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   ... --- The Official "It Stinks In Here" CF Bar --- ... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9925)

DAB 03-10-2011 12:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 185496)
Say... isn't that one of your cattle grazing on the couch cushions?

Crap. Wallymart heffalumps tracked me here. Don't stampede them.

Sea Six 03-10-2011 12:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 185509)
Lost a few cows. The rest are hanging and aging. Mooo.

Actually, ah, you... uh... didn't lose one of them. I just borrowed her for a little while. Now she's back with the rest of the herd.

DAB 03-10-2011 12:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 185515)
Actually, ah, you... uh... didn't lose one of them. I just borrowed her for a little while. Now she's back with the rest of the herd.

Awww, wondered about Mildred. Get some milk?

1911fool 03-10-2011 12:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 185523)

I bet Mildred got some.

Sea Six 03-10-2011 12:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 185523)

:yesnod:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911fool (Post 185524)
I bet Mildred got some.

I was too tired to reciprocate. :bilmem:

She's gonna do owe-sies for me later. :yesnod:

DAB 03-10-2011 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911fool (Post 185524)
I bet Mildred got some.

If all y'all are happy, I'm happy.

Now those sheep, they ain't mine. I'm just watching them. They bite.

Sea Six 03-10-2011 12:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 185534)
If all y'all are happy, I'm happy.

Now those sheep, they ain't mine. I'm just watching them. They bite.

Yes, but I'm one of those sheepdogs that Lt. Col Grossman's always harping about.

DAB 03-10-2011 12:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 185540)
Yes, but I'm one of those sheepdogs that Lt. Col Grossman's always harping about.

Don't know that reference. Gotta get out more.

DAB 03-10-2011 12:41am

Better pick it up before other threads overtake this one.

DAB 03-10-2011 12:42am

There's a reason no one tries to raise moose. Phew.

Sea Six 03-10-2011 12:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 185548)
Don't know that reference. Gotta get out more.

He has written much on the subject of the use of force. He's kind of a guru for cops and armed citizens.

The sheepdog reference comes from a speech he gave a graduating class of cadets (not sure of the school).

He postulates that there are sheep and wolves. The sheep don't really want to hurt one another, and the vast majority of the population are sheep. The only time violence becomes an issue is when the wolves come into the picture (those who do not meld themselves into society, but instead prey on lawful citizens).

And then there are the sheepdogs. The sheepdogs must never attack the sheep... and it isn't in their nature to do so. Their jobs are to keep a watchful eye out for the wolves, and when necessary, resort to violent means in order to keep the peace. The sheepdogs, to the sheep, don't really fit in. They appear to the sheep in many ways to be a lot like the wolves that they despise for their violent ways. Yet they all live together in a fragile balance.

Or something like that. When I first heard the story, it made a lot of sense to me. At least, it helped explain why the public just by and large never really accepts me as a LEO. I'm needed, necessary... but only at times they deem it to be so. When I became a cop, all of my cop friends told me that my other friends would begin to treat and regard me differently. I thought they were full of :bs:... but it turned out that they were about 95% right. Only a few are still my friends. Those are my lifelong friends.

I dunno. It's a good story to me. :bilmem:

DAB 03-10-2011 12:50am

Makes sense. Guess I'm a sheep. Just want to do my thing and be left in peace. Not called to chase down wolves. Do know how to use a firearm. Only ever shot paper and deer.

Sea Six 03-10-2011 12:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 185576)
Makes sense. Guess I'm a sheep. Just want to do my thing and be left in peace. Not called to chase down wolves. Do know how to use a firearm. Only ever shot paper and deer.

:cheers:

BTW I don't think any of the terms are meant to be disparaging.

And it is definitely comforting to know that the VAST majority of people out there are for the most part law abiding citizens. At least, they aren't out to prey on their fellow denizens of the world. They just want to be free to earn their own keep.

DAB 03-10-2011 12:52am

10 more to hit 100 for the day. May not happen.

DAB 03-10-2011 12:58am

Years ago my dads office was observing that they had too many upper level staff (chiefs), and not enough lower paid staff (Indians). Boss thought they should lose some chiefs. Dad suggested they hire more Indians to bring the ratio back in balance.

We can't all be leaders, someone has to do the crap jobs.

Sea Six 03-10-2011 12:59am

Here's the story. A little long, but a good read nonetheless.

------------------

On sheepdogs.

Sea Six 03-10-2011 12:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 185582)
Years ago my dads office was observing that they had too many upper level staff (chiefs), and not enough lower paid staff (Indians). Boss thought they should lose some chiefs. Dad suggested they hire more Indians to bring the ratio back in balance.

We can't all be leaders, someone has to do the crap jobs.

:iagree:

Lots of truth in that statement.

DAB 03-10-2011 1:06am

Later this year I'll pursue a concealed carry permit. Open carry is ok here. A colt commander is fairly big.

DAB 03-10-2011 1:12am

7 more???? Poor Will. Shot his wad and wore hissself out.

Sea Six 03-10-2011 1:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 185589)
Later this year I'll pursue a concealed carry permit. Open carry is ok here. A colt commander is fairly big.

I've never been a fan of open carry for several reasons, although I am very much opposed to the banning of it just because it in itself is an infringement to our right to keep and bear arms.

Please do get your carry permit. Practice often and carry often. Learn as much as you can about the use of deadly force in your state. This will require more courses than the basic pistol shooting courses.