The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   [House] Here we go.... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104208)

C5SilverBullet 12-20-2016 2:45pm

[House] Here we go....

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps6ctcvbn3.jpg

OddBall 12-20-2016 2:49pm

:cool1:

C5SilverBullet 12-20-2016 2:58pm

****ing up my very well maintained grass. :lol:

snide 12-20-2016 3:22pm

:cool: :thumbs::thumbs:

:cheers:

JRD77VET 12-20-2016 9:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet (Post 1526284)
****ing up my very well maintained grass. :lol:

Bobcats do that very well. :yesnod: Just wait until they show up with heavier equipment :willy:

MrPeabody 12-20-2016 9:37pm

We'll need timely pics of every step of the process so we can inform you of all code violations.:leaving:

Stangkiller 12-20-2016 10:34pm

We are so excited for you guys!!

vetteman9368 12-21-2016 12:41am

Congrats.

Millenium Vette 12-21-2016 12:13pm

Very nice lot, I love the water view. Congratulations and please keep the updates coming. :seasix:

Cybercowboy 12-21-2016 12:42pm

Having a house built, there are a few things that I wish I'd done different. This is by no means a comprehensive list.

1. Make sure they use good interior paint, specifically not contractor-grade flat paint. Egg shell/semi-gloss is the way to go. Pittsburgh Paint, Sherwin Williams, or other premium brand (not Lowes Depot.) Get all color codes in a file.

2. Go ahead and spend a bit more on your bathroom/kitchen. Even if it stings a bit. It's cheaper in the long run.

3. Spend more on windows than you were initially planning, get premium windows that will last 50 years or more. You'll save on energy too.

4. Make sure you don't skimp on the HVAC. Insist on very high efficiency HVAC equipment.

5. Garage. Big. Need I say more?

6. Laundry room, make sure it's roomy. Your wife will thank you.

7. Hot water. Consider getting two hot water tanks or tankless. One for kitchen/laundry and one for the rest of the house. Size them accordingly.

8. Carpet. Just...don't. Hardwood/tile/stone flooring and throw rugs as appropriate. If going hardwood, the engineered stuff is really good now. Make sure it's at least 1800 on the hardness scale. Preferably even harder.

9. Plant your trees ASAP. Plant them with them being big later in mind.

10. Get nicer switches/outlets than the usual contractor grade. Check out Legrand for instance. Can lights can lights can lights. If getting LED lighting, and you want to dim it, you'll find that you really need to make sure the dimmer and lights are compatible.

That's enough for now! Congrats!

Iron Chef 12-21-2016 1:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1526507)
Having a house built, there are a few things that I wish I'd done different. This is by no means a comprehensive list.

Like he asked us for any of this (but what the hell...it's what we do! :rofl: )

Let me add a few things if I may. You might want to ask around at a few A/C heating companies near your place as to what system THEY recommend. Of all people, they will know what's reliable and well built and what isn't. I have a Lennox system that was in my house, and within 5 years the evaporator coil crapped out ($2300 repair, thankyouverymuch :spdchk: ). Make sure that if you install a 5 ton unit, for example, that you are actually moving 5 tons of air. I have a 5 ton but was only recirculating 3.5 tons of air. Why? Not enough air returns. This meant installing returns in all the bedrooms - and presto! 5 tons of air and a balanced system throughout the house.

Don't skimp on electrical outlets too. I had quad boxes installed in my office and had the circuits all upgraded so they could handle it. You can never have too many plugs.

Windows: I can stand next to the windows on a cold day and feel the difference in temperature. From what I've read, argon-filled windows really don't get you as much as low-e glass and it's very expensive. If this is a long-term house, something to think about.

With regard to paint, Cyber is absolutely correct...BUT...be aware that companies like PPG, Sherwin-Williams, Benjamin Moore, etc. also carry lines of "contractor grade" paint. I learned this the hard way. I had the interior of my last house painted and I specified Sherwin-Williams paint, but I found out later that I should have also specified the grade. Now, contractor grade SW paint is probably better than most, but if you're spending money on a premium brand, you might as well get what you pay for.

Of course, this is a question of affordability, but one thing's for sure: I'd try to stay away from "contractor-grade" anything. When I remodel the interior of my place, this is a point I'll make crystal clear.

Hope you don't mind the input. Best of luck with Casa Mullett! :cert:

VatorMan 12-21-2016 1:33pm

Be there when the electrical guys are there. Make sure they are using the screws -not just using the stab ins.

Aerovette 12-21-2016 2:25pm

All of the points made are very valid. Unfortunately you only get to specify when you custom build. Everything on the lists have all been an issue for me at one time or another because my builder sucked and used contractor grade EVERYTHING...except the Supervisor. He was "Border Jumper" grade. :mad:

DAB 12-21-2016 2:42pm

i spec'd out the electrical system down to the outlets used for the shop. quad boxes every 4 feet, 4 feet above finished floor all the way around the shop. plus some outlets on the ceiling. i was there everyday while it was being built.

syf350 12-21-2016 2:48pm

but how thick is the foundation going to be?

DAB 12-21-2016 3:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by syf350 (Post 1526527)
but how thick is the foundation going to be?

:iagree::smash:

FasterTraffic 12-21-2016 3:24pm

Don't forget to check the boxes for "Wavy Roof Upgrade" and "Tree Circles Almost Round."

DAB 12-21-2016 3:31pm

"landscaping slopes toward house to create water in basement when it rains" is a very popular option.

also watch how many nails you can pick up each evening while the framing is happening. or maybe you like nails in your feet later. i picked up hundreds. magnet on a long wand works great, and a bucket to put them in as you go along.

Gozar 12-21-2016 4:56pm

Congratulations!

Any floor plans you can share?

Oh, and I second EVERYTHING that Cyber suggested. It's worth every penny.

DAB 12-21-2016 4:58pm

if you have the coin, or talent, i highly recommend a full custom kitchen. :DAB: