The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Time For A Change.....Want A New CCW (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60552)

Norm 12-17-2013 4:35pm

Time For A Change.....Want A New CCW

Been looking at this, Ruger LC9 Laser, can pick it up locally for $450. Comments?

http://s22.postimg.org/c5eezeghd/Ruger_LC9_L.jpg

image courtesy postimage.org

Sea Six 12-17-2013 4:48pm

What wattage is the laser?

Cybercowboy 12-17-2013 4:54pm

Not really a fan of that one, the trigger is um how do I say this? Terrible?

Sea Six 12-17-2013 4:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1090054)
Not really a fan of that one, the trigger is um how do I say this?

It really depends on how you want your response to be interpreted by the reader.

If it's as a question, as if the speaker were to be using a rising inflection, then you should use a question mark like you've done.

If it's meant to be an affirmative, declarative statement, then use a period after the word terrible.

You can also use an exclamation point, but then you run the risk of coming across like a pompous ass.

Norm 12-17-2013 5:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1090040)

Can't find it, Lasermax site doesn't list the wattage, some other forums do but that's for engraving, 35 watts, different Lasermax. :D

Sea Six 12-17-2013 5:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Norm (Post 1090071)
Can't find it, Lasermax site doesn't list the wattage, some other forums do but that's for engraving, 35 watts, different Lasermax. :D

I'm thinking something in the 40 watt range would be great for personal protection.

Cybercowboy 12-17-2013 5:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1090072)
I'm thinking something in the 40 watt range would be great for personal protection.

Plasma, sure. But laser? Laser needs to be in the 1500 watt range to really cook something fast. You can punch a hole through a nanosteel plate at an ablation rate of 4.2 mm per second with a 40 watt plasma rifle, and that's at an approximately 13 cm beam width on target. To get an equivalent ablation rate at again the equivalent beam width, you'd need minimum 1000W UV laser, and those go through crystals like crazy. Better to use a less-efficient 1500W green laser. Protons are much more effective than energetic photons. Sheez.

Seriously, I thought everybody knew this. :kick:

FasterTraffic 12-17-2013 5:53pm

How small is it? I don't think I could comfortably shoot a pistol where I couldn't get all my fingers on the grip. I can go compact frame but anything below that gets to be too small.

Sea Six 12-17-2013 6:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1090091)
Plasma, sure. But laser? Laser needs to be in the 1500 watt range to really cook something fast. You can punch a hole through a nanosteel plate at an ablation rate of 4.2 mm per second with a 40 watt plasma rifle, and that's at an approximately 13 cm beam width on target. To get an equivalent ablation rate at again the equivalent beam width, you'd need minimum 1000W UV laser, and those go through crystals like crazy. Better to use a less-efficient 1500W green laser. Protons are much more effective than energetic photons. Sheez.

Plasma weapons go against my religion.

Cybercowboy 12-17-2013 6:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterTraffic (Post 1090095)
How small is it? I don't think I could comfortably shoot a pistol where I couldn't get all my fingers on the grip. I can go compact frame but anything below that gets to be too small.

That's one thing it has going for it. Very small, concealable, and smooth edges. It will fit all but your pinky on the grip if you have a small hand like, say, kingpin, and I'm pretty sure they make an extended magazine that will allow you a full grip. But like the compact Kel-Tecs, the trigger is just horrible and I can't stand shooting them.

VITE1 12-17-2013 7:05pm

Sig P938

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ps5ac115a2.jpg

It's the bottom one.

Norm 12-17-2013 7:06pm

I'm going to look at one this Thursday, can get one for $399 without the laser, which I don't care that much about. (The laser, that is)

Thanks for the comments. :seasix:

StaticCling 12-17-2013 9:19pm

In my opinion, Lasers are dumb. You would be better off with a good set of snag free night sights. I would prefer regular stock sights over that Laser shit to be honest.

Chris Fowler 12-17-2013 9:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1090054)
Not really a fan of that one, the trigger is um how do I say this? Terrible?

Terrible is a strong word.

Looooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnng is more appropriate.

That said, it does shoot reasonably well.

JRD77VET 12-17-2013 9:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1090278)
In my opinion, Lasers are dumb. You would be better off with a good set of snag free night sights. I would prefer regular stock sights over that Laser shit to be honest.

Lasers are a tool and extremely usefull when used in the proper situations.

Bad guy thinks he's in a good hiding spot, you light him up with the laser and he knows his goose is cooked.

However, you must realize that the light that shines out also pinpoints YOUR position. A tool that must be used correctly. :yesnod:

~~~~~~~~~

I love my Rugers but hate the factory triggers. I think there are too many lawyers in the Ruger inspection/design since they are so heavy. A Ruger with a nice trigger is damn fine weapon. ( I have not fired the model you are considering )

Sneaks 12-18-2013 7:41am

Lasers are a waste for a CCW. In the event you need to use your weapon, the chances that you are going to be in close proximity are extremely high. You will be instinctive point shooting. If you are out far enough to use the laser sight, then you are probably going to be in a world of shit with the courts as to why you didn't try to leave the area of threat. Unless the fktard is shooting at you, then the courts might see it the rational way.

Craig 12-18-2013 7:46am

I carry the LCP with the Crimson Trace laser. Not a fun gun to shoot, but it's easy to conceal.

onedef92 12-18-2013 3:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1090040)

in the 40 watt range.....

onedef92 12-18-2013 3:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1090091)

;

"Hey, just what you see, pal."

RedLS1GTO 12-18-2013 4:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Fowler (Post 1090282)
Terrible is a strong word.

Looooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnng is more appropriate.

That said, it does shoot reasonably well.

:iagree:

Do you want a range gun? If so, yea, the trigger isn't even close to what you want.

Do you want a carry 9mm that is very very concealable, easy to carry, and when you need it... will go boom? If so, the LC9 is not a bad choice at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks
In the event you need to use your weapon, the chances that you are going to be in close proximity are extremely high. You will be instinctive point shooting.

Which is exactly why you don't need a .1 pound match trigger on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1090304)
Bad guy thinks he's in a good hiding spot, you light him up with the laser and he knows his goose is cooked.

:skep:

How exactly is that useful? If you can "light him up" with the laser, you can light him up with a muzzle flash. If there is somebody that I am pointing a gun at, scaring them isn't exactly what I am going for. The only thing you accomplished in that scenario was to give him a warning and time to react.

I'm guessing most bad guys aren't going to say "Damn... he hit me with a laser. I better surrender and do what I'm asked."