The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Verizon is hosing my earhole (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123607)

SnikPlosskin 09-10-2020 10:34pm

Verizon is hosing my earhole

On data usage. Mine says 22% gaming. I have literally never played a game on my phone. Not anywhere else.

This has been going on for some time. We have three lines. 10g a month. $220.

My kids phone used 4.75 gigs at 77% navigation. He goes to work and home. My phone used 1.75g and wife’s used 1.08g

2 gigs used at 2am on my phone. WTF. I have hit all the settings, turned off cellular on almost everything. turned off WiFi assist and background refresh, turned off auto updates on an on.

Talking to them is pointless. Tons of other people with same issue. All of a sudden your data usage skyrockets with no change in behavior or settings.

Time to dump those ****ers.

I want to stay with IPhone because of the integration with everything. We are all Mac.

Is also like to use ATT network but from different company.

Who you got?
How much data?
What cost?
Kind of phone?

How much data do you use?

This is nuckin futs

I have iPhone 6s. Long in tooth. Won’t keep charge. Looking at XR. Don’t need 11$$$

Help! My earhole is killing me. And my ass can’t take much more.

thecornerman 09-10-2020 10:50pm

Right now an iPhone XR is $12.50 month to buy with Sprint/T Mobile
My S20 Ultra is $50 month
5 lines, unlimited gigs $300 month that's buying those 2 plus 2 iPhone X's at $12ea PLUS insurance at $15ea
Jesus christ I didn't realize how bad I got hit by the daughter and her 2 kids!
I need to re-think this situation [emoji53]

SnikPlosskin 09-10-2020 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecornerman (Post 1804562)
Right now an iPhone XR is $12.50 month to buy with Sprint/T Mobile
My S20 Ultra is $50 month
5 lines, unlimited gigs $300 month that's buying those 2 plus 2 iPhone X's at $12ea PLUS insurance at $15ea
Jesus christ I didn't realize how bad I got hit by the daughter and her 2 kids!
I need to re-think this situation [emoji53]

Sprint has their own towers, correct? TMobile rents them? X-RAYS is a good price.

Stangkiller 09-11-2020 5:08am

A new iPhone is a month or two away from release. Even if you don’t want the latest and greatest, if you can wait that long you’ll get a better deal on a lower model phone.

Take a look at prepaid cell phone plans. Sure they don’t include a new phone (which you’d payfor regardless) but they tend to be cheaper than the post paid plans. My wife and I each get 8gb (plus rollover) a month, unlimited call and text for $77 a month all in with AT&Ts prepaid phone service.

Murray 09-11-2020 5:20am

iPhone XR. 5 gigs of data, $55 a month includes cost of the phone :canada:

Datawiz 09-11-2020 5:58am

I still have my grandfathered Verizon 4G unlimited data plan with hot spot. While I'm not traveling as much anymore, I'll still don't foresee getting rid of that plan for a long time. I pay $261/mo. for a plan for 2 phones, but only mine has the unlimited. Wife has 2 GB I believe. When I travel, I routinely have between 100-200GB in a given month on my line.

I pay separately on another plan for my daughter to have 20 GB/mo. and that's $105/mo.

Thunder22 09-11-2020 5:59am

it's not vzw, it's the crappy code on the iphone, which will follow you and the phone to another provider if you switch because wifi-assist on iphones has issues.

snide 09-11-2020 6:24am

People still use Verizon? :crazy:

Datawiz 09-11-2020 6:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1804585)
People still use Verizon? :crazy:

I'm not aware of a vendor with a better network. :confused:

Rob 09-11-2020 6:54am

Three lines through Tmobile (myself, wife, and my mom), unlimited EVERYTHING...I pay $120/month

Wife and Mom are on iPhone Xr and I have an SE (broke my Xr two weeks ago). Will upgrade all of us to the 12 next week when they are announced.

Rodnok1 09-11-2020 6:59am

I just switched to Us Mobile, 50 gb high speed for 40 plus tax a month.

SnikPlosskin 09-11-2020 8:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1804571)
A new iPhone is a month or two away from release. Even if you don’t want the latest and greatest, if you can wait that long you’ll get a better deal on a lower model phone.

Take a look at prepaid cell phone plans. Sure they don’t include a new phone (which you’d payfor regardless) but they tend to be cheaper than the post paid plans. My wife and I each get 8gb (plus rollover) a month, unlimited call and text for $77 a month all in with AT&Ts prepaid phone service.

We need new phones. Need mine to last the day. It lasts about half a day. Are you paying $77 each or total?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murray (Post 1804572)
iPhone XR. 5 gigs of data, $55 a month includes cost of the phone :canada:

What carrier?

SnikPlosskin 09-11-2020 8:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunder22 (Post 1804576)
it's not vzw, it's the crappy code on the iphone, which will follow you and the phone to another provider if you switch because wifi-assist on iphones has issues.

Turned that off long ago. Plus everything else that uses data. Their usage showed 230mg-1g when my phone was turned off multiple times over the last year. I ignored the issue because I had too much on my plate.

I did an analysis of data usage and found a number of statistically impossible things. For example, phones using the precisely same amount of data every other month for the year. Massive jumps in data usage from month to month. We never got overage notices, then we started getting them every other day.

We would pay to increase the limit, then get overage messages within a couple days.

I’ve researched this heavily. It is not the phone. That’s what a Verizon tells people. Which is also why it is pointless to call them. I’ve spemt hours with them. Even faced with hard data, they admit it is inaccurate but won’t do anything.

But you will see many who changed carriers said, miraculously, their data usage went back to normal after switching using the same phone and use.

Stangkiller 09-11-2020 8:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1804605)
We need new phones. Need mine to last the day. It lasts about half a day. Are you paying $77 each or total?

What carrier?

Consider apple’s financing deals at 0-interest.

Im $77 total with taxes for the two of us. But we own both phones outright, i intend to buy the new iphone pro next month, ill likely trade in a phone and buy outright.

I did just have a new battery installed in my iphone X, it made a huge difference, ill be giving it to my wife when i get the new one next month.

SnikPlosskin 09-11-2020 8:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1804608)
Consider apple’s financing deals at 0-interest.

Im $77 total with taxes for the two of us. But we own both phones outright, i intend to buy the new iphone pro next month, ill likely trade in a phone and buy outright.

I did just have a new battery installed in my iphone X, it made a huge difference, ill be giving it to my wife when i get the new one next month.

Wow. We are seriously getting it up the earhole.

Stevedore 09-11-2020 8:30am

We recently switched to T-Mobile. 2 lines, unlimited talk, text & data, & 3GB of mobile hotspot data. $70 per month, all taxes & fees included.

We also took advantage of a buy one get one free deal for 2 new 11 Pro Max 256GB iPhones.

Zed16 09-11-2020 8:47am

While AT&T can be a PITA at times, I've used them for years. 4 lines with 30GB plus rollover ~ $150. I looked at a lower data plan, but only saved me $10 so I didn't go that way. Good Luck

Rob 09-11-2020 10:04am

At $399 for a new iPhone - this really is a good phone

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-se

Thunder22 09-11-2020 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1804607)
Turned that off long ago. Plus everything else that uses data. Their usage showed 230mg-1g when my phone was turned off multiple times over the last year. I ignored the issue because I had too much on my plate.

I did an analysis of data usage and found a number of statistically impossible things. For example, phones using the precisely same amount of data every other month for the year. Massive jumps in data usage from month to month. We never got overage notices, then we started getting them every other day.

We would pay to increase the limit, then get overage messages within a couple days.

I’ve researched this heavily. It is not the phone. That’s what a Verizon tells people. Which is also why it is pointless to call them. I’ve spemt hours with them. Even faced with hard data, they admit it is inaccurate but won’t do anything.

But you will see many who changed carriers said, miraculously, their data usage went back to normal after switching using the same phone and use.

The time stamp that shows when the data was used is not the time it was actually used, it's the time that it synched logs to VZW. So the statement of "it did it while the phone was off" is just plain wrong.

And simply turning auto wifi off isn't the entire solution, you have to manually switch to wifi when around wifi, otherwise you're still using cell data.

Thunder22 09-11-2020 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stevedore (Post 1804614)
We recently switched to T-Mobile. 2 lines, unlimited talk, text & data, & 3GB of mobile hotspot data. $70 per month, all taxes & fees included.

We also took advantage of a buy one get one free deal for 2 new 11 Pro Max 256GB iPhones.

i wish t-mobile had better coverage by me....