The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   "We don't have $600" (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126915)

DAB 09-23-2021 1:31pm

"We don't have $600"

because of Covid.

so says/writes a neighbor.

i'm in charge of collecting money from the neighbors so we can hire an excavating firm to clear out a pair of culverts that cross the road near our gate, so the storm water can drain properly and not wash out the road.

each household's share is $565. not a huge sum for people living in 800k houses.

one neighbor writes back that they can't chip in because they are on a fixed income because of covid. everyone is on a fixed income. if you can't afford to set aside $600 for a rainy day, you should sell and move.

so we get to fund that share too. yay.

i replied and noted that property taxes are due in December, hope they have enough for that. taxes out this way run about $3700 a year, give or take 750 or so.

i just don't understand not chipping in your share.

weasels. don't call me for help down the road.

Datawiz 09-23-2021 1:40pm

We just had a special assessment in our community for lake shore remediation. We have 501 homes, ranging from low $300's to about 800k. The assessment was about $1400, which I just cut a check for, but the association allowed everyone to make it in 2 payments.

Round 1 payments were due, and there are still 50 homeowners delinquent. :willy:

Again, like you say, if you can't afford to live in this class of gated community, GTFO.

RMVette 09-23-2021 1:44pm

If they can't shell out the whole amount, then they can pay $100 for 6 months... or you'll put a lien on the property.... :D

Rodnok1 09-23-2021 2:40pm

What we forget is alot of people live over their means.. Not an excuse.
Bet they have enough money for fast food, netflix and a new phone though.

DAB 09-23-2021 2:57pm

read a stat a bit ago, over 1/2 of people do not have $500 to cover an emergency. :willy:

now i can see that being biased to the lower end of the economic spectrum, but if you just built a house that Zillow pegs at 800k, i expect you to have some spare coin laying around for rainy days. :slap:

Rodnok1 09-23-2021 3:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1914038)
read a stat a bit ago, over 1/2 of people do not have $500 to cover an emergency. :willy:

now i can see that being biased to the lower end of the economic spectrum, but if you just built a house that Zillow pegs at 800k, i expect you to have some spare coin laying around for rainy days. :slap:

You'd think they would... Nope.

I know someone who recieved a large settlement cpuple years ago so they took a month long vaca to the keys. Ran out of gas monney on the way back and couldn't get back home, called me for money... I may have laughed and hung the phone up.

Stangkiller 09-23-2021 3:12pm

My neighbor pulled the same thing to me on the shared fence…it isnt worth going to battle over, but i sure wont be helping him fix the part of his fence that just blew over in the hurricane.

ratflinger 09-23-2021 3:39pm

Like that ad that used to run where the guy had all the toys, but had a sad look and said "I'm up to my eyeballs in debt, can someone help me?"

A lot of that shit going on. PT Barnum - A fool and his money ...

bsmith 09-23-2021 3:48pm

You seem to be assuming that he's telling the truth.

DAB 09-23-2021 3:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1914042)
My neighbor pulled the same thing to me on the shared fence…it isnt worth going to battle over, but i sure wont be helping him fix the part of his fence that just blew over in the hurricane.

same thought here.

don't call me asking for help. need to be pulled out of the ditch (i pulled another neighbor out a few winters ago), better call a tow truck. need to borrow something i have, have fun shopping at home depot. need a ride, call a cab (there aren't any out this way).

04 commemorative 09-23-2021 4:58pm

Maybe they really can't come up with it.....walk a mile in someone else's shoes

ratflinger 09-23-2021 5:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1914054)
Maybe they really can't come up with it.....walk a mile in someone else's shoes

Then they need to sell and move into something they can afford. If you can't afford the maintenance then you can't afford the house.

DAB 09-23-2021 5:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ratflinger (Post 1914055)
Then they need to sell and move into something they can afford. If you can't afford the maintenance then you can't afford the house.

i asked him, via email, how he was going to afford property taxes in December. he just got mad at that question.

money in, money out, nothing set aside for tomorrow.

Bill 09-23-2021 6:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1914042)

That happened to my next door neighbor after Hurricane Ike. He talked to the neighbor, and the neighbor agreed to pay for the materials for their shared fence section, my neighbor would provide the labor. Well, there were 4 houses, all of us got together and started on one house and we put up all new fences, shared labor, everybody bought their part of the materials.

OK, so the fence is compete, neighbor goes to guy to get a check for the materials, which my neighbor had conveniently itemized, with supporting receipts. Oh, sorry, the neighbor is no longer willing to pay.

So my neighbor sued the guy, won, still didn't get paid, so he paid even more for the constable to show up with a writ of execution, to collect on the judgement. THEN A-hole neighbor was willing to write a check, but the constable made the guy follow him somewhere to go get a certified money order to pay my neighbor, which included the materials cost, all court costs, and the cost to hire the constable.

I don't understand why some people are douchebags, I really don't.

Why can't Doug's neighbor kick in $ 20/month for the culvert project if he can't pay the whole amount up front? I doubt it's a money issue, the guy's just a dick. Sad way to go through life, really.

DAB 09-23-2021 6:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1914065)
That happened to my next door neighbor after Hurricane Ike. He talked to the neighbor, and the neighbor agreed to pay for the materials for their shared fence section, my neighbor would provide the labor. Well, there were 4 houses, all of us got together and started on one house and we put up all new fences, shared labor, everybody bought their part of the materials.

OK, so the fence is compete, neighbor goes to guy to get a check for the materials, which my neighbor had conveniently itemized, with supporting receipts. Oh, sorry, the neighbor is no longer willing to pay.

So my neighbor sued the guy, won, still didn't get paid, so he paid even more for the constable to show up with a writ of execution, to collect on the judgement. THEN A-hole neighbor was willing to write a check, but the constable made the guy follow him somewhere to go get a certified money order to pay my neighbor, which included the materials cost, all court costs, and the cost to hire the constable.

I don't understand why some people are douchebags, I really don't.

Why can't Doug's neighbor kick in $ 20/month for the culvert project if he can't pay the whole amount up front? I doubt it's a money issue, the guy's just a dick. Sad way to go through life, really.

he just flat won't chip in.

if he had given some hang dog story, and promised to pay down the road, in whole or in part over time, i'd accept that. but just flat say, "nope, not chipping in", when he's known this work was planned for the last 2 weeks......fail.

"hey man, covid, lack of income, new kid, laid off, large medical bills, totaled the car, .....whatever....."

nope, just nothing.

sad.

so i'll cover the shortage, and when the work is all done, and the man is paid in full, i'll get a receipt, scan that, send it out, with a list of who gave how much.

public shaming.

Cool 50th AE 09-23-2021 6:30pm

I have a friend that does garage doors.
He says he has seen million dollar houses with zero furniture inside.

People are posers and spend their whole life making minimum payments.

Torqaholic 09-23-2021 6:47pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1914030)
... hire an excavating firm to clear out a pair of culverts that cross the road near our gate, so the storm water can drain properly and not wash out the road.

Sounds like the situation in front of my woods property. Neighbors probably think I should fix it? Don't care, the ditch is clear on my side of the road. Take it up with the guy on the other side where the water is coming from... And it's not my fault if they want to live there without owning a 4WD.

MadInNc 09-23-2021 7:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1914030)
because of Covid.

so says/writes a neighbor.

i'm in charge of collecting money from the neighbors so we can hire an excavating firm to clear out a pair of culverts that cross the road near our gate, so the storm water can drain properly and not wash out the road.

each household's share is $565. not a huge sum for people living in 800k houses.

one neighbor writes back that they can't chip in because they are on a fixed income because of covid. everyone is on a fixed income. if you can't afford to set aside $600 for a rainy day, you should sell and move.

so we get to fund that share too. yay.

i replied and noted that property taxes are due in December, hope they have enough for that. taxes out this way run about $3700 a year, give or take 750 or so.

i just don't understand not chipping in your share.

weasels. don't call me for help down the road.

Doug, make sure that you tell the deadbeats neighbors that they will be mentioned in a community letter update of the program in that “address xxxx cannot contribute to the project being finished. As such project is on hold.”

:rofl:

markids77 09-23-2021 7:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1914056)
i asked him, via email, how he was going to afford property taxes in December. he just got mad at that question.

money in, money out, nothing set aside for tomorrow.

He may not have to worry about the tax bill unless he owns the place free and clear... in Georgia property taxes are built into the mortgage nut... that way the lender is certain not to lose their collateral to the city due to non payment.

Grey Ghost 09-23-2021 7:52pm

What made you settle in NM anyway?