The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   If you had to kill your own dinner.... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36163)

VatorMan 06-23-2012 6:44pm

If you had to kill your own dinner....

How many of you would become vegetarian? Wife and I were going to dinner and came alongside a dead deer. She got squeamish and we had this discussion. I figure 80% of the US would be vegetarian. :lol:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y21...es/dumbass.jpg

Aboatguy 06-23-2012 6:46pm

Not my family. They like fresh venison, rabbit, hog etc.

Besides the fact that my ancestors spent too much effort climbing to the top of the food chain to revert back to rabbit food.

FasterTraffic 06-23-2012 6:46pm

I could kill it, I just wouldn't know what to do with it once it was dead.

VatorMan 06-23-2012 6:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterTraffic (Post 695212)

:lol:

DAB 06-23-2012 6:49pm

Quote:

gut it, clean it, skin it, quarter it, chill it, cut into serving sizes/grind into burger, freeze it, thaw it, cook it, eat it, repeat.

kingpin 06-23-2012 6:49pm

Quote:

My guess is you'd figure it out pretty quickly when you got hungry.
You can eat everything from the brain to the liver to the feet.

MrPeabody 06-23-2012 6:50pm

I would have been the guy in the Donner party that said "You know, we don't all have to starve to death."

Jeff '79 06-23-2012 6:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 695218)
I would have been the guy in the Donner party that said "You know, we don't all have to starve to death."

:rofl::rofl:

Hell ya, I'd eat a fresh kill... I get my stuff at the store, but in the OP's scenario, I sure would.

btw, I'd be one of the one's that went for the walk...:D

mrvette 06-23-2012 6:56pm

I dunno, 2nd/3rd date with some fox here in Jax, it was '98, and so we heading down rt21/Blanding Blvd, at nite, so some damn deer decides to jump outta the side of the road, from in front of a minivan, so I had no chance to slow, and into the headlights of my '72 vette, damn near square up.....Deer here in Florida grow rather small, about the size of a larger dawg....unlike them up north.....so this wipes out both headlights....the broad I was with cared more about the damn deer than my CAR, eff HER and all her hippy BS.....

I did look and think that if there was a way, I would have hung it up and asked a redneck passerby to help my bleed and butcher it on the spot....

I have no experience with that.....

:lol::lol::leaving:

Torqaholic 06-23-2012 7:06pm

I've killed a lot of things. Most are very tasty. But I do it for pleasure, not subsistence. If that was all I could eat it would be a full time job and as everybody knows... Working is not fun.

Takes a lot of knowledge and skill to be a successful hunter. Wild animals are very good at avoiding predators, that's what they do for a living, and they have the home field advantage. Most people would starve if they had to pick up a gun and go live off the woods. There are people walking around who've hunted every deer season for decades and never killed one. The most deer I ever got in a 2 week season was 6 but there have been seasons where I got skunked so bad I only saw a couple animals... Or none at all.

Torqaholic 06-23-2012 7:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 695220)
:rofl::rofl:

Hell ya, I'd eat a fresh kill... I get my stuff at the store, but in the OP's scenario, I sure would.

btw, I'd be one of the one's that went for the walk...:D

Taste better if you let them hang for a couple weeks :D

JRD77VET 06-23-2012 7:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqaholic (Post 695231)
I've killed a lot of things. Most are very tasty. But I do it for pleasure, not subsistence. If that was all I could eat it would be a full time job and as everybody knows... Working is not fun.

Takes a lot of knowledge and skill to be a successful hunter. Wild animals are very good at avoiding predators, that's what they do for a living, and they have the home field advantage. Most people would starve if they had to pick up a gun and go live off the woods. There are people walking around who've hunted every deer season for decades and never killed one. The most deer I ever got in a 2 week season was 6 but there have been seasons where I got skunked so bad I only saw a couple animals... Or none at all.

But if you have guns, you can take food from the pacifists who stocked up :lol:

Jeff '79 06-23-2012 7:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqaholic (Post 695231)

I could shoot a deer every night, right outside my back door, but I don't hunt though... They would prolly get wise to that really quickly though, and avoid the place like the plague after the word got out.

BuckyThreadkiller 06-23-2012 7:10pm

I used to be a pretty good wing shooter.

Pheasant, quail, dove, highway sign... Some taste better than others.

Chris Fowler 06-23-2012 7:13pm

I'd starve as a vegetarian...

I'd rather just buy my meat, but if it's a choice between no meat and killing it myself, hand me the gun.

lspencer534 06-23-2012 7:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 695216)
gut it, clean it, skin it, quarter it, chill it, cut into serving sizes/grind into burger, freeze it, thaw it, cook it, eat it, repeat.

Awright...I got the dog gutted. How do I "clean" it? Vacuum cleaner, spray cleaner, peroxide?

VatorMan 06-23-2012 7:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 695242)
Awright...I got the dog gutted. How do I "clean" it? Vacuum cleaner, spray cleaner, peroxide?

Got any Koreans living near you ?

MEANZ06 06-23-2012 7:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 695243)
Got any Koreans living near you ?

:rofl:

kingpin 06-23-2012 7:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 695242)

That's funny. I just de-fuzzed a couple feril cats. :leaving:

markyerger 06-23-2012 7:28pm

could I live near water and eat fish ???????