The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Fry's Electronics (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121679)

Aerovette 02-17-2020 6:55pm

Fry's Electronics

Do they have them where you live?

What the hell happened? I went there today at lunch and the place is cleaned out ! The store is 80% empty.

I asked an employee, who was a real wealth of knowledge, if they were going out of business.

"No"

Well the place looks about empty

"It is about empty"

But you're not closing?

"Restructuring"

I took that to mean "Going out of business" is just a year down the road.

sublime1996525 02-17-2020 7:34pm

Nope. None in Utah. I remember them in Cali though.

TripleBlack 02-17-2020 7:40pm

Last time I was in one, the salesman just walked away from me after I challenged one of his comments about a TV i want to buy. I swore I would never go in one again. Looks like it will be easy to keep my word. Good riddance. Bought a very nice Sony a couple days later.

mrvette 02-17-2020 7:46pm

Like european cars and electronics, I would NEVER touch a Sony anything.....:shots::dance:

TripleBlack 02-17-2020 7:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1731523)
Like european cars and electronics, I would NEVER touch a Sony anything.....:shots::dance:

You sound like the guy that walked away from me at Fry's. :cheers:

If I'd have consulted with you what would you have suggested? BTW I'm mostly brand agnostic when it comes to electronics.

Bill 02-17-2020 8:06pm

The Frys in Clear Lake is similarly situated. They are privately held, not corporate, for what that's worth. Yes, I suspect they are going out of business, which is a shame, because it used to be a fun, geeky kind of store to go be overwhelmed in.

mrvette 02-17-2020 8:20pm

Radio Shack, Circuit City, and all the distributors I have known are either broke, or dropped electronics distribution.....labels like RCA and Zenith, long gawn......

:sadangel:

No place local to even buy electronic parts anymore.....transistors, resistors, caps, transformers, pots, switches.....

:issues:

99 pewtercoupe 02-17-2020 8:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1731523)

Good friend of mine worked for Sony for 15 years. He says SONY meant Soon Only Not Yet 😁

Murray 02-17-2020 8:30pm

They stopped sponsoring a PGA event 3-4 yrs ago on the hopes of saving money. It was only time

TripleBlack 02-17-2020 8:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1731539)
Radio Shack, Circuit City, and all the distributors I have known are either broke, or dropped electronics distribution.....labels like RCA and Zenith, long gawn......

No place local to even buy electronic parts anymore.....transistors, resistors, caps, transformers, pots, switches.....

Fortunate here to have a long established place that sells about every electronic component you can think of. Most of it surplus stuff pennies on the dollar. Dread when the guy decides to retire.

dvarapala 02-17-2020 8:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1731512)
Do they have them where you live?

What the hell happened? I went there today at lunch and the place is cleaned out ! The store is 80% empty.

Supplier problems (allegedly). :yesnod:

Stevedore 02-17-2020 9:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1731539)

:iagree: There used to be a small independent parts & repair place near me that you could bring in your schematic & describe the problem, & the guy would suggest what part(s) you might need. I did that with a TV we had back in the late 70's; the guy circled the part, a capacitor, & sold me a replacement for something like $.19, & it fixed it.

Stangkiller 02-18-2020 12:32am

Man thatd be a big loss if they do go under....had my main tv go out last year, they price matched amazon, delivered same day and added on a 3yr warranty for good measure, they earned my business unlike worst buy.

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 02-18-2020 2:33am

All disappeared from Wash state as well..... never was impressed with their
salespeople.

dvarapala 02-18-2020 8:26am

Fry's was an amazing store. When I first came here in 1995 there was nothing else like it. But they had a pretty liberal return policy and would often take stuff that was broken or had missing pieces, re-shrink-wrap it, and put it right back on the shelf. I got burned by that a couple of times. :mad:

Mike Mercury 02-18-2020 8:27am

from Wikipee

Quote:

In September 2012, Fry's Electronics agreed to pay $2.3 million and to implement preventive measures to settle a sexual harassment and retaliation lawsuit brought by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The settlement was in relation to allegations that an assistant store manager at the Renton store harassed a 20-year-old sales associate by frequently sending her sexually charged text messages and inviting her to his house to drink. After her direct supervisor reported the harassment to Fry's legal department, the company allegedly fired the female salesperson and fired her supervisor for standing up for her.
Oh, that's the "if you won't put-out... then get out" policy.

:funnier:

Quote:

On Black Friday 2007, customers at the Renton, Washington, location complained that Fry's employees were offering to let people cut in front of a long line for a fee. After complaints in the media, Fry's management offered anyone who paid the fee their money back.

snide 02-18-2020 10:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1731641)
Fry's was an amazing store. When I first came here in 1995 there was nothing else like it. But they had a pretty liberal return policy and would often take stuff that was broken or had missing pieces, re-shrink-wrap it, and put it right back on the shelf. I got burned by that a couple of times. :mad:

I'm always wary of packing that doesn't look like it was factory sealed.

That said, I once bought a hard drive from Staples. The shrink wrap looked normal. A few months later (!) Laurie opened the package only to find the box was stuffed with 3x5 index cards and not the hard drive. Took it back to the store and they actually refunded my money!

Raazor 02-18-2020 11:16am

wow! My family always wants to visit on on vacation :rolleyes: None in Montucky.

My dad uses the one in Phoenix to "walk/exercise". Serious! :rofl:

Jobaka 02-18-2020 11:18am

Years ago, going to Fry's was like going to the mall at Christmastime. Wall to wall shoppers. The last time I was in a Fry's, it was a ghost town. Employees outnumbered shoppers by at least a 3 to 1 margin.

Aerovette 02-18-2020 11:19am

Their customer service has always sucked but if you knew what you were looking for and didn't need any help, it was a great store...."was".

The stupid part of what I saw was that they took what little they had left and spread it out to fill the shelf space. They had 6 Phillips screwdrivers and put a single one in 6 places on the rack.