The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   IAC on 2002 Rodeo $#%^#@ !!! (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123730)

Aerovette 09-27-2020 9:01pm

IAC on 2002 Rodeo $#%^#@ !!!

I'll start with cliffs...

Testing the IAC for movement and it came apart. Can't find the pintle. :mad:

Does a new one need adjustment or will it plug and play?

My parent's just got ripped off for about $1600.00 from a mechanic that ultimately said "I did all I can, I can't fix it".

So I started poking around at the things they didn't check. I pulled the IAC and turned the key to check for movement. On the last try, it spin the spring loaded pintle out and it flew somewhere. I ordered a new IAC and can't tell whether it self adjusts or if I need to do something with it. I can't compare the pintle extended and retracted distance, because the pintle is gone.

I "think" it will adjust itself, via the computer but I have no idea.

This Rodeo is low mileage, driven by a family friend's mother. Well maintained, but in the last three weeks it has been shitting all over itself. They took it to Christian brothers who had it for two weeks and threw parts at it and ultimately gave up.

Here are the symptoms
1. Erratic idle rises and falls between 900 and 1100 RPMs
2. P0351 code (bad coil)
3. THREE coils were tried out and the same code still appears
4. Horrible shudder and tire barking slam in to gear at take off. (may be unrelated)

mrvette 09-28-2020 2:30am

I was having operational issues with my injected '72 vette, and I found the fuel pressure was too low....running 30 psi instead of the needed 43.5 jacked it up and it runs fine.....:dance:

Rodnok1 09-28-2020 6:42am

Alot of newer car issues are grounding problems, I'd start with main battery connections and clean the main ground to start with then find the ground for IAC and clean/check it. Since showing bad coil I'd check the wiring to them and the ground for ICM.
At least on my car one bad ground will back feed and cause issues elsewhere that are unrelated.
I will assume the TB has been cleaned throughly.

JetMechZ16 09-28-2020 7:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodnok1 (Post 1809326)
Alot of newer car issues are grounding problems, I'd start with main battery connections and clean the main ground to start with then find the ground for IAC and clean/check it. Since showing bad coil I'd check the wiring to them and the ground for ICM.
At least on my car one bad ground will back feed and cause issues elsewhere that are unrelated.
I will assume the TB has been cleaned throughly.

My Z06 died on me on a twisty mountain road. No start but a fire and die once in a while. After getting it home and checking fuel pressure I had 12 psi, should be 58. Everyone said change the fuel pump, which is a huge pain in a later model C5. I finally found the fuel pump ground and it was loose tightened it up and everything worked great. Saved me maybe $900.00 which is what they wanted to change it. Bad grounds can cause all sorts of strange issues.:yesnod: