The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Tire life (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2657)

09CTSV 04-17-2010 6:20am

Tire life

I just don't understand how tires don't last as long as they used to. I mean only 9353 miles on the V and the tires are almost at the wear bars. It is a Cadillac with Michelin PS2's. Don't they normally get 50,000 miles on Michelin's? :D:D It can't be the 556HP/551TQ combined with a genetic defect of a heavier right foot causing a rapid removal of the rubber on the tires is it? Could this also be compounded by the sweet sounding Corsa's screaming as the hammer is dropped?:o_o:

Shopping at tire rack for replacements as the wife gives me dirty looks and realizes she has over 9,000 miles on the TrailBlazer and her tires look almost new. :auto:

:taz:

Sneaks 04-17-2010 6:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 33435)
I just don't understand how tires don't last as long as they used to. I mean only 9353 miles on the V and the tires are almost at the wear bars. It is a Cadillac with Michelin PS2's. Don't they normally get 50,000 miles on Michelin's? :D:D It can't be the 556HP/551TQ combined with a genetic defect of a heavier right foot causing a rapid removal of the rubber on the tires is it? Could this also be compounded by the sweet sounding Corsa's screaming as the hammer is dropped?:o_o:

Shopping at tire rack for replacements as the wife gives me dirty looks and realizes she has over 9,000 miles on the TrailBlazer and her tires look almost new. :auto:

:taz:

1. There's your root cause right there. :above:
2. Corsas scream? :skep:
3. You're screwed. Enter bed from the foot for the next month. :drool:
:D

Z06PDQ 04-17-2010 8:24am

you could put some of those hard azz run flats on there & kiss traction good bye. :D

Y2Kvert4me 04-17-2010 8:35am

Back in the day I got my new wheels, there weren't many choices available in the 19/20" sizes I needed.

I ended up choosing the Pirelli Pzero, which reviews said it was a decent tire, the only complaint people had with them is that they wore very quickly, and expect to be replacing them every 10k miles or so.

Ironically, the 275/30/19 fronts lasted over 50k miles. The rears, well, on my 3rd set of those :D, but still original set of fronts. :cool1:

At least now I'm at the point where all 4 need replacing, and I can finally switch to something different. The Michelins and Pirellis are just so ridiculously overpriced, and I know full well I'm not gonna stick any street tire to the pavement with 20" wheels...So I'm gonna go cheap this time around and see what happens. Thinking either the Hankook V12, Toyo T1-R, or General UHP. All of which people seem to really like...and less than a $grand for all 4, I can live with that. :yesnod:

:cheers:

Z06PDQ 04-17-2010 8:42am

the Firestone Wide Ovals are a cheap alternative, too. I like mine. :beer:

09CTSV 04-17-2010 11:43am

I've settled on the Hankook V12 series. Less than $900 for a set shipped, plus a rebate. The Michelin PS2's are almost $1800 for a set, shipped. Funny thing someone posted a while back on the Cadillac forums, Hankook makes tires for Michelin. I'm going to try a set and see how they hold up. This car enjoys two things very good, gas and tires! It does put a big smile on ones face though!:willy::willy:

09CTSV 04-17-2010 11:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sneaks (Post 33437)
1. There's your root cause right there. :above:
2. Corsas scream? :skep:
3. You're screwed. Enter bed from the foot for the next month. :drool:
:D

2. Amazing what they sound like with a super charger, DAMN!