The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C1 & C2 Corvette Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Converting to under-car exhaust (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132520)

SJW 05-24-2023 5:06pm

Converting to under-car exhaust

Okay, here's a post that might stimulate a little technical activity.

I yanked the deafening sidepipes off of my '63 and gave 'em to Dennis (Bluestripe).

I have a spank-new 2-1/2" system from Gardner ready to go under the car (yes, the car has 2-1/2" manifolds).

The grainy illustrations in the umpteenth-generation copy of the AIM isn't a lot of help with such details as the positioning of the two headpipe heat shields, etc. The service manual and Noland's book aren't a lot of help in this regard, either, unless I've somehow overlooked something in either of them.

I'm also waffling between using a reproduction '63 front hanger (at the crossmember), or a repro '64-and-later hanger. It's been suggested to me that the later hanger is a simpler and superior design which does appear to be the case, and my car's far from original, so I'm not hung up on making that detail look "right." I have one of each of the hangers on hand, but am not yet clear on how either of them is to be correctly installed.

I'll also be using modern band clamps that won't crimp the pipes. The T-10 is going to have to come out of this car to address some niggling issues at some point in its future, but I'm not willing to deal with that now, so making future removal of the exhaust as easy as possible is a priority.

So... Who has nice under-side photos that would be helpful to a guy in my situation?

Helpful hints, advice, etc, are also welcome, as always.

TIA!

Live well,

SJW

AUTOHOLIC 05-24-2023 9:41pm

Exhaust systems are not rocket science especially if you are not worried about the minute details for judging. No matter whose system you buy there are ALWAYS tweak to be done. I say just start installing it and make adjustments/changes as necessary.

RatDog 05-25-2023 1:14pm

Sorry Steve, my car has sidepipes so I’m no help. But happy to give your post a bump.

Take care,
Steve

SJW 05-25-2023 1:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUTOHOLIC (Post 2085473)
Exhaust systems are not rocket science especially if you are not worried about the minute details for judging. No matter whose system you buy there are ALWAYS tweak to be done. I say just start installing it and make adjustments/changes as necessary.

Um, yeah.

Having been a full-time auto mechanic through a number of my younger years, and kept my ASE master automobile technician certification current until I decided to let it go in 2017, I think I'm probably capable of putting exhaust pipes and mufflers together, twisting them into position, and zapping fasteners onto clamps, hangers and manifold studs.

This thread was partly provoked by comments in another thread that lamented the shortage of technical chatter on this site, and partly by a desire to get a better handle on placement of the forward heat shields, and the pluses/minuses with respect to the different forward hanger designs, with the idea that it might be a shortcut to having to figure out those things while lying on a creeper.

Live well,

SJW

AUTOHOLIC 06-04-2023 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SJW (Post 2085662)
Um, yeah.

Having been a full-time auto mechanic through a number of my younger years, and kept my ASE master automobile technician certification current until I decided to let it go in 2017, I think I'm probably capable of putting exhaust pipes and mufflers together, twisting them into position, and zapping fasteners onto clamps, hangers and manifold studs.

This thread was partly provoked by comments in another thread that lamented the shortage of technical chatter on this site, and partly by a desire to get a better handle on placement of the forward heat shields, and the pluses/minuses with respect to the different forward hanger designs, with the idea that it might be a shortcut to having to figure out those things while lying on a creeper.

Live well,

SJW

If you would have said the above in my thread “Tell us about yourself” I would have known this and not posted what I did.:seasix: