The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   I Hate Cancer (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133446)

Chemtrails99 08-07-2023 10:19am

I Hate Cancer

So a month ago I ended up in ER and they discovered cancer, a blood infection, infection on a heart valve and a badly absessed liver. Drained the liver, been on anti-biotics ever since (6 weeks). Today Dr tells me it's probably stage 4 cancer, probably can't be cured and they hope they can slow it down. This now qualifies for the worst Monday of my life.

Posting here because for all the poking fun at each other, I like the folks in this forum. Feels like hanging in a bar with buddies for a laugh. I need laughs for sure now.

RedLS1GTO 08-07-2023 10:22am

Man. Sometimes there aren't words to adequately convey what you want to say. This is 1 of those times. :(

Onebadcad 08-07-2023 10:23am

CT,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Miracles happen everyday, hoping you get one!!

MTPZ06 08-07-2023 10:32am

Keep your head and keep fighting. Where there's a will, there's a way. Keep the faith!

Besides, doctors....pffft, what do they know?

DAB 08-07-2023 10:38am

i remember well sitting next to my wife Linda when the doc told her she had stage 4 cancer. just over a year later, i had to say goodbye to Linda.

GTOguy 08-07-2023 10:42am

Hang in there, brother. **** cancer.

Bill 08-07-2023 10:44am

That is a gut punch. Damn, very sorry to hear that. I will say that a good friend of mine received a similar "stage 4, outlook gloomy" diagnosis for cancer of the tonsils that spread into his throat. Death, loss of voice box.....some very scary possibilities.

Well, it's been a long road for him, lots of problems and issues, complications from the treatment, etc., but he is cancer free and getting his life back to normal. Yes, he was depressed, but he persisted, he fought, and he lived.

The point of that story is, gear up for a fight, don't quit, and don't hesitate to get a second opinion. We're in your corner, pulling for you.

Rodnok1 08-07-2023 10:49am

Don't quit fighting it, things can be done. Everyday new stuff comes up.
Friend is fighting cancer all over and goes to Cleveland Clinic for treatments now.
Wait until the determination of exactly how far it's progressed and what surgical procedures can remove what.

Prayers for you friend. You've czme to the right place to keep ypur mind right. :kimblair:

Don Rickles 08-07-2023 10:55am

Cancer sucks.

So, I've recently been asking myself this question on this very topic.....brought to my attention, a very close friend is now struggling with Stage 4.....

My question to myself, would I submit to the doctors and go the radiation/Chemo, testes after tests, day after day in the hospitals, being poked and prodded route. Or, spend the rest of my days, the minutes the seconds, traveling, cutting the grass, spending time with my family and friends....? Hoping that the suffering at the end, be short and quick....?

I can't answer this yet, but I really hate hospitals, this alone makes me sway towards living life to the fullest, the best I can, with a minor fight. I think at what age we are diagnost, might play a larger part in answering this to each person.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best. I'd try to ignore the time frames given too....

cptlo306 08-07-2023 10:59am

:sadangel::sadangel::sadangel:

IB4TL 08-07-2023 11:00am

4 Attachment(s)
You mentioned that you're looking for a laugh...

Attachment 85870

Attachment 85871

Attachment 85872

Attachment 85873

Hope you're doing well :cert:

Loco Vette 08-07-2023 11:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemtrails99 (Post 2121732)
So a month ago I ended up in ER and they discovered cancer, a blood infection, infection on a heart valve and a badly absessed liver. Drained the liver, been on anti-biotics ever since (6 weeks). Today Dr tells me it's probably stage 4 cancer, probably can't be cured and they hope they can slow it down. This now qualifies for the worst Monday of my life.

Posting here because for all the poking fun at each other, I like the folks in this forum. Feels like hanging in a bar with buddies for a laugh. I need laughs for sure now.

Hate to hear that, bud. Lots of options still out there, though. Do you mind sharing the primary?

DJ_Critterus 08-07-2023 11:13am

damn... no words.

Mick 08-07-2023 11:21am

Sorry to hear that. Hoping for the best for you!

The_Dude 08-07-2023 12:12pm

:sadangel:

Chemtrails99 08-07-2023 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Rickles (Post 2121751)
Cancer sucks.

So, I've recently been asking myself this question on this very topic.....brought to my attention, a very close friend is now struggling with Stage 4.....

My question to myself, would I submit to the doctors and go the radiation/Chemo, testes after tests, day after day in the hospitals, being poked and prodded route. Or, spend the rest of my days, the minutes the seconds, traveling, cutting the grass, spending time with my family and friends....? Hoping that the suffering at the end, be short and quick....?

I can't answer this yet, but I really hate hospitals, this alone makes me sway towards living life to the fullest, the best I can, with a minor fight. I think at what age we are diagnost, might play a larger part in answering this to each person.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best. I'd try to ignore the time frames given too....

To answer for me, I'm just 62 (birthday was in hospital last month) and already can't do many fun things. Since the inability to swallow started, I've lost 50 pounds and am the weakest I've been in my adult life already. Last thing I did was mow the lawn and go take my weekly Bass Guitar lesson. My wife is much younger than me, and the plan has always been to be a grumpy old man poking fun at her when she gets old too....so I've been prodded, tested, x-rayed, MRIed, jabbed, jabbed again, jabbed just to make sure I had been jabbed enough and so on.

Don't wanna be a Steve Jobs who ignored solid medical chances to survive, so I am working to understand and work with my small army of doctors. I have had some rather weird/ positive chance interactions with people the few times I have been out in the last two months and heard stories o survival of cancer unexpectedly....so time to buckle down and fight it as hard as everything else I've ever dealt with...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 2121760)
Hate to hear that, bud. Lots of options still out there, though. Do you mind sharing the primary?

Thus far I hear chemo for sure, and probably radiation. It's in espohogus and stomach, with a fear it may be in lymph nodes. Tests and biopsies next week. Have a couple friends who swear "Rick Simpson's Oil", a type of CBD oil, saved them when they had cancer. One had tons of photos an timeline showing it's effect. Dr has said no problem and that won't damage anything they plan to do.

Having lost too many friends to illness of all sorts, it's good to remember that mankind is at it's most advanced state for treatments in history and improving every day.

MikeB 08-07-2023 12:42pm

1 Attachment(s)
Went thru this with the wife this past 2 years.
Can't help you with the laughs, but Cancer sucks.
We Got a card from my niece, who at that time,
her mother was also fighting cancer (a 20 year battle for her).
My Sister in law, and the SO, fought it like hell, but
ultimately lost their battle last year. Once in the lymph nodes,
all options for surgical removal go away. This was our case.
Marianne was put in palliative care upon discovery.

Attachment 85879

Good luck to you. :angel:

DAB 08-07-2023 12:50pm

enjoy every day.

Don Rickles 08-07-2023 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemtrails99 (Post 2121815)
To answer for me, I'm just 62 (birthday was in hospital last month) and already can't do many fun things. Since the inability to swallow started, I've lost 50 pounds and am the weakest I've been in my adult life already. Last thing I did was mow the lawn and go take my weekly Bass Guitar lesson. My wife is much younger than me, and the plan has always been to be a grumpy old man poking fun at her when she gets old too....so I've been prodded, tested, x-rayed, MRIed, jabbed, jabbed again, jabbed just to make sure I had been jabbed enough and so on.

Don't wanna be a Steve Jobs who ignored solid medical chances to survive, so I am working to understand and work with my small army of doctors. I have had some rather weird/ positive chance interactions with people the few times I have been out in the last two months and heard stories o survival of cancer unexpectedly....so time to buckle down and fight it as hard as everything else I've ever dealt with...

Thus far I hear chemo for sure, and probably radiation. It's in espohogus and stomach, with a fear it may be in lymph nodes. Tests and biopsies next week. Have a couple friends who swear "Rick Simpson's Oil", a type of CBD oil, saved them when they had cancer. One had tons of photos an timeline showing it's effect. Dr has said no problem and that won't damage anything they plan to do.

Having lost too many friends to illness of all sorts, it's good to remember that mankind is at it's most advanced state for treatments in history and improving every day.

First thank you so much for replying to my post!

I’m actually diagnosed with a relatively severe case of Barrett’s esophagus myself. I have annual endoscopy’s and take twice the dosage of acid reflux, disease, medicine, Nexium than most people. We are very close in age. I can relate to swallowing issues regurgitation And the difficulties with having Gerd I suffer…

I am 100% in agreement with you at such a young age it’s game on! My friend also diagnosed with stage four is in her mid-80s, I’m sure I will have a much different mindset if I’m able to reach that age.

It’s been many years since I’ve had this diagnosis getting close to 20 years now, which had me get all my ducks in order many years ago as well.

I will pray for you!

MadInNc 08-07-2023 12:53pm

1 Attachment(s)
So sorry to hear this CT.:sadangel:

Here’s one for ya, close to your wheel house