The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The Common Man Is In An Economic Sweet Spot (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91174)

Jeff '79 11-20-2015 7:22am

The Common Man Is In An Economic Sweet Spot

Low fuel prices, low interest rates, plenty of cheap goods to buy from Wal-Mart.......
Now is the time to bump interest rates up, as our buying power has increased. Now is a time when it would hurt all the least. What is the Fed waiting for?
They should be ahead of the curve instead of chasing it all the time.

Admiral Blue 11-20-2015 8:42am

There are more drivers than you can think of going into the decision to raise (or lower) rates.

GDP is the biggest driver. You cannot have higher rates without substantially increased GDP.

Bill 11-20-2015 8:47am

We owe over $ 19T. We owe more than our GDP. You can't EVER raise interest rates again, as that would just put us to the point where we couldn't even make the interest payments on the debt and we'd have to admit we failed, just like Iceland and Greece. This point will hit us soon enough, raising interest rates would just speed up the inevitable.

island14 11-20-2015 9:06am

I remember in 2003 the dollar was worth 56.7/1 exchange for the peso.

It slowly dropped down to less than 39/1.. :(

That chit really really hurt, especially when prices here go up everyday.. :yesnod:

Now the dollar is about 47/1 again.

Thank you Obama. :seasix:

Cybercowboy 11-20-2015 9:11am

Many people are trying to find work for years, not weeks or months as it used to be. The number of people out of the workforce is at a historic high, not just in sheer numbers but also by percent since the Great Depression. My healthcare insurance is now over $800/month with $8000 deductible for each of us, we are forced to buy catastrophic coverage insurance at comprehensive insurance prices. Wages have been stagnant for decades, and inflation and UE rates are underestimated and under reported. The number of new regulations that stifle business expansion and creation are astronomical. Our IRS is used as a political tool to punish any organization who dares speak out against the current administration. Just in the last two years over 500,000 utterly unskilled and uneducated people have been allowed to flood over our unprotected borders. Something like 100,000 of them are unaccompanied minors who we are subsidizing 100%. Our higher education system is about to implode under $2 trillion in student debt which roughly 50% will never be able to repay their loans.

Shall I go on?

Admiral Blue 11-20-2015 9:19am

and THERE is the reality. Well said.

DAB 11-20-2015 10:26am

i was laid off on Jan 29, 2009. i think i had 2 cold calls in that time looking for a mechanical engineer......i have no plans to move to India.

island14 11-20-2015 11:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1425853)
.i have no plans to move to India.

What....

You don't like curry? :island14:

Cybercowboy 11-20-2015 11:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1425853)
i was laid off on Jan 29, 2009. i think i had 2 cold calls in that time looking for a mechanical engineer......i have no plans to move to India.

Halloo, please to be speaking to Mr. DAB for possible opportunity in Engineering job plan, mechanical job plan.

Uh, speaking. Can I ask who's calling?

Yes, Mr. DAB. My name is Edward Smith, calling from certainly West Dakota. We have a many job plan engineering mechanical.

island14 11-20-2015 12:49pm

I wanna gonna chat you yeah.

DAB 11-20-2015 12:51pm

had a call yesterday, from some number in CT, some guy with Indian type accent, telling me my firewall needed repair, and that i must turn on my computer now and then tell him which browser i was running....yeah....nice try, click.

Steve Austin 11-20-2015 2:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1425935)
had a call yesterday, from some number in CT, some guy with Indian type accent, telling me my firewall needed repair, and that i must turn on my computer now and then tell him which browser i was running....yeah....nice try, click.

I could have some fun with that.:D Pretty much never get such calls because my phone is VOIP. Not listed anywhere. You would have to put in some effort to find it and scammers dont work that hard. :cert:

DAB 11-20-2015 2:35pm

Give them a ring

(860) 540-6999
Bristol, CT

Jeff '79 11-20-2015 5:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1425815)
Many people are trying to find work for years, not weeks or months as it used to be. The number of people out of the workforce is at a historic high, not just in sheer numbers but also by percent since the Great Depression. My healthcare insurance is now over $800/month with $8000 deductible for each of us, we are forced to buy catastrophic coverage insurance at comprehensive insurance prices. Wages have been stagnant for decades, and inflation and UE rates are underestimated and under reported. The number of new regulations that stifle business expansion and creation are astronomical. Our IRS is used as a political tool to punish any organization who dares speak out against the current administration. Just in the last two years over 500,000 utterly unskilled and uneducated people have been allowed to flood over our unprotected borders. Something like 100,000 of them are unaccompanied minors who we are subsidizing 100%. Our higher education system is about to implode under $2 trillion in student debt which roughly 50% will never be able to repay their loans.

Shall I go on?

Pffft!!! We'll worry about that when it happens.
From where I sit, things are looking pretty good and I'm just a common man.

Giraffe (He/Him) 11-20-2015 6:53pm

Quote:

From where I sit, things are looking pretty good
Same here and I never stepped foot on a college campus other than to chase poon. :shrug:

1911fool 11-21-2015 12:25am

I too am sitting ok, but thousands around me aren't. The unemployment rate is through the roof because of the lower gas prices.(around here). The POsTUS is doing everything he can to kill off anyone who works in energy. The only "bright" spot is that his weakness is about to cause a rift that will cause oil prices to be higher than ever.

GS Ragtop 11-21-2015 9:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waco (Post 1426152)
I got a call like that last week...at my office number.

I said "you just called a line in a secure facility". He hung up before I could even start laughing. :rofl:

My wife got the call "from Microsoft saying they detected a virus on her PC". Just before clicking on their recommended web site for 'the fix', she handed the phone to me.

The a-hole actually had the nerve to act offended when I called him a low-life fecking scumbag dumbass who wasn't smart enough to get a real job so he had to resort to stealing from others.

boracayjohnny 11-21-2015 2:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Waco (Post 1426152)
I got a call like that last week...at my office number.

I said "you just called a line in a secure facility". He hung up before I could even start laughing. :rofl:

:rofl::lol:

MrPeabody 11-21-2015 2:52pm

Oldie but a goodie: