The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   The best gas powered string trimmers (Weed eaters)-what says VB? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81691)

five-oh 04-07-2015 6:47pm

The best gas powered string trimmers (Weed eaters)-what says VB?

In my time honored fashion, I am doing this backwards- I went and bought one today- but I'm curious. What's the best bang for the buck?
In the past few years, I've had a Troybuilt- awesome for two seasons, then won't start- some other brand secondhand, and a couple of the disposable pieces of junk walmart sells, simply because I figured it'd last one season at least. The last one lasted about two uses.:slap:
My pastor has a Stihl- he loves it, has had it trouble free for several years, so after I used it Friday on the church yard, I decided I'd be better off to buy one like that- so I did. How badly did I screw up?

RED-85-Z51 04-07-2015 6:49pm

Echo SRM-225. Full commercial grade powerhead and gearbox, epa longevity rated class C (highest posdibke)...

199.95 + any taxes

Jeff '79 04-07-2015 6:49pm

I've had my Toro for almost 25 years and it's still going.
It looks like hell but it keeps starting. :seasix:

lspencer534 04-07-2015 6:58pm

I hate my Stihl like I hate CF. It almost refuses to start every time, and by the time it does start, I'm too tired to use the damned thing. Plus, it invariably cuts off the string inside the spool; I have to shut it down and fix the string, then go through the starting process again.

Every new season it refuses to start, even though I drained the tank the previous year and let it run until dry. That means another expensive trip to the dealer to get it to start. Stihl is a $200 weed whacker that I have >$500 in...so far. IMO. they're junk.

five-oh 04-07-2015 7:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 1340783)
I hate my Stihl like I hate CF. It almost refuses to start every time, and by the time it does start, I'm too tired to use the damned thing. Plus, it invariably cuts off the string inside the spool; I have to shut it down and fix the string, then go through the starting process again.

Every new season it refuses to start, even though I drained the tank the previous year and let it run until dry. That means another expensive trip to the dealer to get it to start. Stihl is a $200 weed whacker that I have >$500 in...so far. IMO. they're junk.

Lord I did not want to hear that...
Oh well. If this craps out after a year I'll go buy red's recommendation, if I can find a local dealer. I went with the Stihl based on pastor's experience and my brother in law has had one for a couple years....

Fasglas 04-07-2015 7:10pm

Bought a McCollough 15-20 years ago. Still "gits 'er done".
No complaints.

mrvette 04-07-2015 7:26pm

Troy? something red plastic....18 years here, electric, bad enough on the stupid noise.....those powered thing up/down the burb here need a 12 ga blast....but not to hurt the guys, just stop that damn NOISE!!!!!!

:issues:

markids77 04-07-2015 7:27pm

Take care of it and it should go lots of years. If storing over winter try a fuel stabilizer and a full fuel tank so the soft parts of the carb don't dry out. If you can buy "boat gas" (no alcohol) locally, use that exclusively. If you wear the cutting head out to the point where it ruins the line just replace the head instead of fighting with it then bitching about it.

simpleman68 04-07-2015 7:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED-85-Z51 (Post 1340772)
Echo SRM-225. Full commercial grade powerhead and gearbox, epa longevity rated class C (highest posdibke)...

199.95 + any taxes

I bought this one last year and it works fantastic so far. Straight shaft trimmers FTW. :dance:

I'm still running my Echo backpack blower from '04. It also still runs perfectly and starts every time with just a couple pulls.
Scott

WalkerInTN 04-08-2015 7:21am

Bought my Echo in 2000, it still runs like new. If it died tomorrow, I'd buy another just like it. :yesnod:

RedLS1GTO 04-08-2015 7:23am

Another vote for Echo. :yesnod:

Black94lt1 04-08-2015 7:52am

Had a couple of troybilts as I have the pole saw attachment for trees but got tired of the dying after 2 years. Bought an echo 2 years ago, great trimmer

Craig 04-08-2015 7:54am

I've found that if you only spend $60 on one, it'll last about three years; but if you go ahead and spend $150 on one, it'll last about three years.

RonC5 04-08-2015 8:13am

My Stihl straight shaft has been flawless for 6 or 7 years now. I use non-ethanol fuel and a stabilizer on all of the yard stuff.

LATB 04-08-2015 9:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig (Post 1340975)
I've found that if you only spend $60 on one, it'll last about three years; but if you go ahead and spend $150 on one, it'll last about three years.

I see your point, but...

you can spend the 20bux per year to work with junk...or, spend the 50bux per year and work with a better quality piece of equipment. :island14:

Superstreet 04-08-2015 9:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonC5 (Post 1340983)
My Stihl straight shaft has been flawless for 6 or 7 years now. I use non-ethanol fuel and a stabilizer on all of the yard stuff.

:seasix: :cert: Another vote for Stihl straight shaft. A stabilizer like Startron is key to keep any piece of equipment running for years.

onedef92 04-08-2015 10:31am

I had a McCulloch Eager Beaver II Series gas trimmer that was built so well, it outlived its service life. I couldn't get parts for it any more and had to chuck it. I had that thing every bit of 20 years and it never missed a bit.

Echo products are good, too. :yesnod:

Sea Six 04-08-2015 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superstreet (Post 1341000)
:seasix: :cert: Another vote for Stihl straight shaft.

As long as they lubed the shaft before they's stuck it in the f'n hole.

Aerovette 04-08-2015 10:34am

I know this will sound crazy, but I actually prefer my electric. The cord can be a pain, but I have had a gas trimmer for about 5 years and I just cannot get the technique down. The torque changes as the throttle position changes and it just gets a mind of its own. I end up gouging into the lawn all the time. I am not sure why I can't seem to get it right. I don't have that problem with the electric and I can get my edge too look like a slice of cake.

My dad swears by Stihl FWIW and he was a small engine/ small equipment repair guy for many many years.

five-oh 04-08-2015 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1341031)
I know this will sound crazy, but I actually prefer my electric. The cord can be a pain, but I have had a gas trimmer for about 5 years and I just cannot get the technique down. The torque changes as the throttle position changes and it just gets a mind of its own. I end up gouging into the lawn all the time. I am not sure why I can't seem to get it right. I don't have that problem with the electric and I can get my edge too look like a slice of cake.

My dad swears by Stihl FWIW and he was a small engine/ small equipment repair guy for many many years.

Electric is not an option for me with a hair over an acre and tons of flowers,crepe myrtles,ect to be trimmed around...
So straight shaft Stihl it is....I shall make sure I will use nonethanol fuel exclusively.