The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Idea for handling Antifa/BLM rioters surrounding your vehicle [train horns] (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123559)

Sea Six 09-05-2020 2:32pm

Idea for handling Antifa/BLM rioters surrounding your vehicle [train horns]

Those extremely loud train horns that were popular a few years ago are apparently still being sold. Some of them are rated at 150 dB (the threshold of pain is 126 dB). I'm thinking most jurisdictions made them illegal a while back, as they were literally ear-piercingly loud.

However in this day and age, making the wrong turn down a street could turn deadly for any one of us. Sure, situational awareness is paramount, but it can still happen.

So when they start to surround my truck and begin beating/pounding on it... and maybe someone's heading in to slash my tires to prevent my easy escape... if I hit the 5 train-horn unit at 150 psi, it's so loud the first instinct would be for the protesters to stop hitting my car and put their fingers in their ears. This would make it extremely difficult for anyone to continue hitting my truck with instruments or their bare hands, and make it more difficult for anyone to damage/deflate my tires.

If I kept laying on the horn, the sheer pain would probably make some of them run away from my vehicle. If someone was trying to use a firearm to get a good sight pattern on me or my truck, I would think the unbearable and painful noise would interfere to a degree, especially if they weren't expecting it and were unprepared.

Sure, there would be likely permanent hearing damage on the part of many people, but that's better than them getting shot by me, or run over as I try to get away from them.

This isn't a sure thing but I bet for a few hundred dollars it could turn the odds I would escape more in my favor.

Your thoughts?

Loco Vette 09-05-2020 2:45pm

I kinda like the idea and I have access to train horns.

Sea Six 09-05-2020 2:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loco Vette (Post 1802771)
I kinda like the idea and I have access to train horns.

:seasix:

How about valves and compressors? I'd like an electrically actuated valve so I can trigger it by a switch inside the cab.

Sea Six 09-05-2020 2:49pm

Val, I was looking at the Nathan P5 horns if you have a source.

Loco Vette 09-05-2020 2:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1802773)
:seasix:

How about valves and compressors? I'd like an electrically actuated valve so I can trigger it by a switch inside the cab.

Issue is that mine need massive air compressors. Lemme work on it a bit.

Sea Six 09-05-2020 2:52pm

They sell complete new and refurbished (rebuilt and powder coated) systems with valves and compressors online.

A Nathan P3 (3 horn unit) is about $1200.

There are cheaper knock-off copies for $200 and up.

For something like this, it has to work every time you need to throw that switch; so I would probably cough up the big bones for something new or refurbished by someone I knew I could trust.

Sea Six 09-05-2020 2:54pm

I have seen smaller compressor/pressure tank units installed inside a truck toolbox. I'm thinking they could still get up to the operating pressure ranges but they can't deliver air nearly as long as a real train with a larger tank.

So it would operate, just not as long... or you'd have to use it intermittently, which could be nearly as effective.

DAB 09-05-2020 3:15pm

how about one that plays Dixie. paint your truck orange. put a 01 on the roof....c'mon man.

Sea Six 09-05-2020 3:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1802784)
how about one that plays Dixie. paint your truck orange. put a 01 on the roof....c'mon man.

01 is on the doors... Stars and Bars is on the roof...

C'mon, man...

DAB 09-05-2020 3:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1802785)
01 is on the doors... Stars and Bars is on the roof...

C'mon, man...

so reverse things. :slap:

Sea Six 09-05-2020 3:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1802786)
so JUST DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME. :slap:

Ok, ok.

:)

dvarapala 09-05-2020 4:23pm

2 Attachment(s)
I'd rather have the circular saws from the Mach 5. :yesnod:

TripleBlack 09-05-2020 4:37pm

Go big or go home!

Bill 09-05-2020 6:28pm

Just play the national anthem on your stereo loudly and tell them to kneel on the ground.

Dan Dlabay 09-05-2020 8:56pm

A machine gun would do the trick.:cert:

BADRACR1 09-06-2020 12:20pm

My two older stepsons have the train horns. The oldest on his F250 diesel, the other on his wrangler. I wasn't paying attention to traffic and the Jeep came past my house one day while I was cutting the yard. He hit the horn and I just about had to go in and change my step ins.
Loud ain't the word.

MadInNc 09-06-2020 12:27pm

Hope the link works...me wants. :yesnod:

http://https://www.reddit.com/r/WTF/comments/dnjhy7/car_horn_that_sounds_like_a_gun/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

MadInNc 09-06-2020 12:31pm

Ok, buy this and download a file recorded from local gun range:rofl:

https://www.boomblasters.com/product...able-car-horn/

Sea Six 09-06-2020 12:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BADRACR1 (Post 1803038)
My two older stepsons have the train horns. The oldest on his F250 diesel, the other on his wrangler. I wasn't paying attention to traffic and the Jeep came past my house one day while I was cutting the yard. He hit the horn and I just about had to go in and change my step ins.
Loud ain't the word.

@BADRACR1

Having heard this horn in person, what is your opinion of what would happen if this was used on a vehicle surrounded by rioters beating on the vehicle?

BADRACR1 09-06-2020 11:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1803053)
@BADRACR1

Having heard this horn in person, what is your opinion of what would happen if this was used on a vehicle surrounded by rioters beating on the vehicle?

Well, I was 15/20 yards away when Andrew hit his. He just hit his for a second in passing. I jumped and my heart rate did, too. I would say that there would have to be an involuntary reaction of some sort. A sustained blast of several seconds would have to at least make anyone nearby cover their ears.
It's loud. Really loud.