The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   School me on San Antonio... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123527)

Datawiz 09-02-2020 9:59am

School me on San Antonio...

What's good and bad about San Antonio? GWiz has a job offer from there. :waiting:

Aerovette 09-02-2020 10:01am

Messcans. If you are not accepting of their culture, you'll be a turd in the punchbowl.

The Alamo is interesting, River Walk is entertaining. Much hillier than Houston.

StaticCling 09-02-2020 10:06am

I like it there. Good food, humid, acceptable countryside. Plenty of outdoor activities. We own a rental home in New Braunfels. Might move there someday. :kimblair:

VatorMan 09-02-2020 10:07am

The locals are still pretty sore over the whole Alamo thing.

Mike Mercury 09-02-2020 10:20am

https://pics.me.me/dallas-houston-au...o-49115329.png

snide 09-02-2020 10:21am

Paging @BlueC5Kitten. Nikki to the white courtesy phone!

z06psi 09-02-2020 10:28am

icnlt

Anjdog2003 09-02-2020 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1801773)
Much hillier than Houston.

So is a pancake.

mrvette 09-02-2020 10:37am

Visited there with my oldest buddy/wives some 10+ years ago.....damn nice place still have a large framed pix of one of the stone bridges over the River....it's a large loop through the city.....so the walk is of course called Riverwalk, and it's right next to the Alamo nice town hope it still is.....

Wooden doubt the commies in the Tejas capitol next door are doing all they can to stirr up the Mejicans

:issues:

Bill 09-02-2020 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1801775)
The locals are still pretty sore over the whole Alamo thing.

Not true, although I am very sure you were just making a joke. There were Mexicans that fought for Texas' independence along with the white settlers. Texas' story is really an American story.....Mexico offered settlers relative autonomy and land to entice people to come and make something out of the territory, and people came, and were successful, thanks to a mostly hands off approach from the Mexican government. The people were happy to be Mexican citizens, whites and Mexicans alike. It was when the Mexican government got heavy handed and wanted to heavily tax and exercise control over Tejas that the Texan's fight for independence got going in earnest

It's really a great story, one that has left us with 'Remember the Alamo,' the Come and Take It flag, etc., symbols that are relevant even today. People wanted to be free, and were willing to fight for it.

As to San Antonio, I have friends who live there, and I used to visit regularly. It's a party town. It's laid back. Practically every weekend there's a festival going on. Fiesta is a huge, two week affair that many employers give a day off for, similar to New Orleans employers closing on Fat Tuesday. Lots of Hispanics, some families who have been there since before Texas was a US state. For a young person who will enjoy going out, if the Wu flu crisis ever fades, San Antonio is a nice mid sized city. Lots of military bases scattered around town, too. I haven't been there in a few years, but I remember it as a friendly city, I don't remember any racial animus, etc. I'm not sure how today's manufactured outrage and unrest has effected San Antonio.

There's also lots of really great day trips to be had from San Antonio, too, for the adventurer/explorer/history buff type.

Aerovette 09-02-2020 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anjdog2003 (Post 1801791)
So is a pancake.

I can stand on my roof and see San Antonio. :lol:

Iron Chef 09-02-2020 11:15am

Been there many times as the ex had family there, although it's been awhile now. I always enjoyed it there. The Riverwalk, Alamo, restaurants, lots to do. Relatively low housing costs. Close to the Hill Country which is awesome. Yeah...lots of Messicans but I never saw it as a real problem. Just a little too humid for me personally but overall a good place to live.

:cert:

Anjdog2003 09-02-2020 11:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1801811)
I can stand on my roof and see my neighbor. :yesnod:

:cool1:

Stangkiller 09-02-2020 11:24am

It’s a tourist trap...housing is surprisingly expensive...Toobing isn’t far away to the north.

erickpl 09-02-2020 3:27pm

It's about 80 miles from Austin, or 20 minutes the way y'all drive. :)

New Braunfels and Guadalupe River is LOTS of fun in the summer for a slow, lazy float.

Hill Country isn't far - and beautiful!

Downsides: Heat, humidity. Kinda like Florida, but without an ocean view. I'd take it over DFW any day. Having lived in DFW and been back there a year or so ago, it is REALLY exploded and gotten even busier.

I'd take SA or Austin/Hill Country any day.

allthrottleandsomebottle 09-02-2020 3:34pm

COTA.......

Datawiz 09-02-2020 3:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by allthrottleandsomebottle (Post 1801909)
COTA.......

:eek: :hurray:

69camfrk 09-02-2020 3:46pm

Haven't been there since 1991 when I was in AF basic training. Downtown seemed nice, but well, it's been a minute.

BlueC5Kitten 09-02-2020 3:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1801784)
Paging @BlueC5Kitten. Nikki to the white courtesy phone!

You rang, snide???

Seriously, though, SA is okay if you don't mind the heat, the humidity, the promise of rain that never appears (and then we get 3 hundred year floods in the span of two or three years), and Tex-Mex food and don't like to cook. I swear we have more restaurants per capita than most places! I like the no state income tax thing, and buying homes is quite affordable, depending upon from where you are relocating.

I am over the Alamo and downtown, in general, including the Riverwalk, but if you are into the party scene, there's almost always something going on in town, party-wise. There is a lot of history here, and in the surrounding areas, though...and the Hill Country drives can be quite fun! Speed limits in W. TX, and on the toll road up to North of Austin are 80mph, which I nice if you can get on those roads. This week, we've had heat indicies around 110-115°F, and muggy, especially in the mornings.

I've lived here since my dad retired from the Air Force in 1988. Bought my home in 1999...lived here and in my home longer than anywhere in my life. It is definitely home. San Antonio has more of a Texas-friendly vibe than most other big cities in Texas. I always call it the big city (we have about 2M people in the greater met area) with a small town mentality.

Feel free to bug me if you want to know more!

Datawiz 09-02-2020 3:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueC5Kitten (Post 1801913)
You rang, snide???

Seriously, though, SA is okay if you don't mind the heat, the humidity, the promise of rain that never appears (and then we get 3 hundred year floods in the span of two or three years), and Tex-Mex food and don't like to cook. I swear we have more restaurants per capita than most places! I like the no state income tax thing, and buying homes is quite affordable, depending upon from where you are relocating.

I am over the Alamo and downtown, in general, including the Riverwalk, but if you are into the party scene, there's almost always something going on in town, party-wise. There is a lot of history here, and in the surrounding areas, though...and the Hill Country drives can be quite fun! Speed limits in W. TX, and on the toll road up to North of Austin are 80mph, which I nice if you can get on those roads. This week, we've had heat indicies around 110-115°F, and muggy, especially in the mornings.

I've lived here since my dad retired from the Air Force in 1988. Bought my home in 1999...lived here and in my home longer than anywhere in my life. It is definitely home. San Antonio has more of a Texas-friendly vibe than most other big cities in Texas. I always call it the big city (we have about 2M people in the greater met area) with a small town mentality.

Feel free to bug me if you want to know more!

Good review, thanks!