The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Pics & videos from the 71st Threshermen's reunion at Rough and Tumble Historical Assn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120058)

JRD77VET 08-17-2019 8:25pm

Pics & videos from the 71st Threshermen's reunion at Rough and Tumble Historical Assn

6 Attachment(s)
I was able to spend two out of the four days at the show. Lots of neat stuff and plenty of old and new friends.

The 71st R & T Threshermen's Reunion is the 2nd Oldest show in the Country to be held again August 14th to the 17th in 2019 featuring Minneapolis Moline and Water Pumping Equipment. The 20th Annual Empire Expo will be held by The Empire Tractor Owners Club in conjunction with the 71st Annual Threshermen’s Reunion.

Justin brought out his 1906 20 hp fairbank Morse Type N hit and miss engine. It's a "Special Electric" model with heavy flywheels to run a generator ( which will be hooked up later and operational).

The battery is a five cell nickel iron Edison battery to power the ignition system.

JRD77VET 08-17-2019 8:31pm

2 Attachment(s)
It's a long time tradition to blow the whistles at noontime to let all the folks know it's lunchtime.

This year, a ships horn was on site and it was LOUD. :willy: It's off a super tanker and has a 17" diaphragm.

Here's a video of folks milling about as the whistles blow at lunch. The steam building whistle starts it off and it's joined by the traction engines ( steam tractors) and the ships horn.

JRD77VET 08-17-2019 8:37pm

10 Attachment(s)
There were a "few" tractors there too

JRD77VET 08-17-2019 8:41pm

10 Attachment(s)
more tractors and engines

JRD77VET 08-17-2019 8:46pm

10 Attachment(s)
More engines

JRD77VET 08-17-2019 8:51pm

9 Attachment(s)
First picture is a gas powered tamper. Hold on as that sucker jumps a couple feet in the air.

Second pic is a lawn mower from 1930

Rodnok1 08-17-2019 8:54pm

Neat pictures, love those old machines myself.

JRD77VET 08-17-2019 8:56pm

10 Attachment(s)
First three pics are the wooden bed lathe from 1833 ( I had to get pics before the band set up on the platform in front of it )

JRD77VET 08-17-2019 8:59pm

5 Attachment(s)
more

DAB 08-17-2019 9:01pm

Good thing those boys have a period correct Machinery Handbook. :yesnod:

JRD77VET 08-17-2019 9:01pm

And finally a walk thru the willock building, the Power House and the Lillibridge buildings.

JRD77VET 08-17-2019 9:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1681154)
Good thing those boys have a period correct Machinery Handbook. :yesnod:

It's been referenced a few times already. :seasix:

As i walked over to the line shaft machine shop, the head guy came right over and apologized for losing the contact info for the thank you note before I had a chance to say anything.

Hopefully your generous gift to Rough and Tumble will be acknowledged shortly.

DAB was kind enough to offer a pristine 5th edition of the Machinery Handbook which i was able to handoff for him to the lineshaft machine shop at Rough and Tumble. It's a 1915 copyright and a 1918 (1919?) printing and in excellent shape.

A lot of the thread info was dropped in the later printings when they standardized thread sizes in 1920. It is a GREAT reference for the older machines.

Black94lt1 08-17-2019 9:28pm

https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...6&d=1566092901

Very cool!

JRD77VET 08-17-2019 9:42pm

1 Attachment(s)
New tech meets old tech :cool1:

I picked up a plasma lighter off ebay and am keeping out at R&T. USB charged electronic lighter. The plasma "flame" is 2000 *F

Here's a picture of where John had it sitting by the base of the Otto Langen engine which was built in 1868

DAB 08-17-2019 10:24pm

Note or no note, I’m just happy that someone can use that old book in a productive fashion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1681158)
It's been referenced a few times already. :seasix:

As i walked over to the line shaft machine shop, the head guy came right over and apologized for losing the contact info for the thank you note before I had a chance to say anything.

Hopefully your generous gift to Rough and Tumble will be acknowledged shortly.

DAB was kind enough to offer a pristine 5th edition of the Machinery Handbook which i was able to handoff for him to the lineshaft machine shop at Rough and Tumble. It's a 1915 copyright and a 1918 (1919?) printing and in excellent shape.

A lot of the thread info was dropped in the later printings when they standardized thread sizes in 1920. It is a GREAT reference for the older machines.

mrvette 08-18-2019 2:46am

I LOVE seeing these pix, reminds me of the trips up to York Pa. and other locations in that state, to see the farm equipment shows, walk around totally fascinated for a couple of daze......my sis used to live in a little town called Shippensburg, just south of Carlisle where the car shows are, and of course the Vette show once every year....right around this time......

So it was easy for me to stay overnight, and a couple of times even take my kids to see that stuff, even my daughter was interested in the shows, which was welcome to see, but being a chick and all, somewhat surprising to ME....but this all ~30 years ago too.....

In that time frame, an old friend bought a stone built flower mill on side of a creek that was the border of Md. and W. Va. the mill was on the Md. side of the creek, had it's own dam and various mods to the water flow, it was a shame the old water wheel was long gone, but much of the machinery it ran was up higher in the structure, and still intact.....including a much later addition, an electric genset way in hell up top of the structure.....
He paid only 65k for the place, and it's worth a couple million today, he been working on it since then, the history is all over the joint, including the section upstairs from the bar that was a whorehouse....seriously.....a grand staircase like seen in Gunsmoke on TV....Miss Kitty.......led up to the area downstairs was a bar like outta all the western movies......and of course a pool table.....

My sister had a friend who moved up there too, decades ago, maybe 15 miles from the mill.......the name of the creek is Conicagigue (sp?_) I would like to see it on my trip up there end of this month.....I need take a million pix....

:shots::seasix:

snide 08-18-2019 10:04am

Took Laurie and Connor to a tractor show a few years ago. There was tons of old equipment, in perfect running order.

Neither Connor nor Laurie talked to me again for a few weeks after that. Was well worth it. :yesnod:

:leaving:

MEANZ06 08-18-2019 5:52pm

Good stuff Jeff! I especially liked the tractors :seasix: The "car/tractor" thingy was very :cool1:

JRD77VET 08-18-2019 6:31pm

Missed one when I was loading videos last night.

The steam vehicle on the far side is a steam powered lawn mower :yesnod:

JRD77VET 08-18-2019 6:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1681162)
Note or no note, I’m just happy that someone can use that old book in a productive fashion.

It's been used quite a few times already. The one guy used it to verify a #30 thread with 32 threads per inch. :crazy:

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1681174)
Took Laurie and Connor to a tractor show a few years ago. There was tons of old equipment, in perfect running order.

Neither Connor nor Laurie talked to me again for a few weeks after that. Was well worth it. :yesnod:

:leaving:

Next show is the A Time of Harvest Show October 11th & 12th

:D