The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Hillary's pardon (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102837)

DAB 11-10-2016 2:48pm

Hillary's pardon

so there is chatter about Barry granting her a pardon on the way out the door.

a dumb move.

so assume he doesn't do this, and she remains under investigation when Trump is sworn in.

if i'm Trump, i invite her, and her alone, to the White House for a little chat. i note that she is under felony investigation for many crimes according to the news. and that she has served the country for many years.

here's the offer. she sits down, with a lawyer of the President's choosing, on camera, taped, and explains what she has done, why, how....a full confession of everything that may or may not be even a little shady. if lawyer dude is satisfied with the confession, the tape will be played on TV and available on youtube, copy to the Library of Congress, and a pardon is granted. additionally, the foundation is closed up, assets donated to one of 4 charities of the President's choosing. she can keep her earned money and real estate.

if not, the tape disappears, no further mention is made of it, and the investigation continues to it's logical end.

one time offer, you have 30 min to think about it.

you want a pardon, you have to confess your crimes and be contrite.

the world learns of her crimes, Trump comes off as generous, and she goes away, free, buy humiliated.

Aerovette 11-10-2016 2:51pm

In order to accept a pardon, she would have to accept that she was guilty. Won't happen.

DAB 11-10-2016 2:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1514926)
In order to accept a pardon, she would have to accept that she was guilty. Won't happen.

thus the confession.

Iron Chef 11-10-2016 2:55pm

Lots of different scenarios possible with this one. It's sticky at best.

There's an article on Fox that goes in depth about it:

Attorney General prospect Giuliani leaves door open to Clinton prosecution | Fox News

Cybercowboy 11-10-2016 2:56pm

She will never admit guilt, ever! EVER!

snide 11-10-2016 3:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1514930)
She will never admit guilt, ever! EVER!

It was all someone else's fault.

Kevin_73 11-10-2016 3:07pm

I may be wrong, but as I understand it a pardon can only be granted if a person is indicted (or convicted) for a crime. The president cannot just give out a blanket pardon for crimes she "could" be charged with.
Even if she were to confess everything (I agree with Cybercowboy that she never would), unless she was actually charged she cannot be pardoned.

DAB 11-10-2016 3:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_73 (Post 1514935)
I may be wrong, but as I understand it a pardon can only be granted if a person is indicted (or convicted) for a crime. The president cannot just give out a blanket pardon for crimes she "could" be charged with.
Even if she were to confess everything (I agree with Cybercowboy that she never would), unless she was actually charged she cannot be pardoned.

i refer you to Ford's pardon of Nixon and Carter's pardons of draft dodgers.

Iron Chef 11-10-2016 3:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_73 (Post 1514935)

Not necessarily. From the above mentioned article:

Quote:

Also complicating a prospective prosecution is the possibility that President Obama, on his way out of the Oval Office, could preemptively pardon Clinton for any federal crimes she may have committed (state and civil offenses would be exempt from such a pardon). The act would be reminiscent of President Ford pardoning President Nixon “for all offenses against the United States” during Nixon’s term in office after Nixon had resigned in the aftermath of the Watergate scandal.

99 pewtercoupe 11-10-2016 3:12pm

Obama will be issuing pardons right and left. President can issue a pardon even if the person has not even been charged yet. There will be a raft of them issued to people in IRS, FBI, DOJ, etc. before he leaves office

I wouldn't be surprised if he even stepped down one day early to let Uncle Joe get sworn in so Joe could issue him a pardon.

A president or governor may grant a full (unconditional) pardon or a conditional pardon. The granting of an unconditional pardon fully restores an individual's civil rights forfeited upon conviction of a crime and restores the person's innocence as though he or she had never committed a crime. This means that a recipient of a pardon may regain the right to vote and to hold various positions of public trust.
Presidential pardon legal definition of Presidential pardon

Kevin_73 11-10-2016 3:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron Chef (Post 1514938)
Not necessarily. From the above mentioned article:

Yep, sorry I replied before I read that.

I hope that fucker doesn't do it!

Cybercowboy 11-10-2016 3:12pm

Yes, pretty much presidential pardons are final and can be open-ended. It's rather frightening how much power a president wields in that regard.

Iron Chef 11-10-2016 3:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_73 (Post 1514942)
Yep, sorry I replied before I read that.

I hope that fucker doesn't do it!

Me either, BUT...it would get Trump off the hook for a campaign promise that could cause him a great deal of grief.

Aerovette 11-10-2016 3:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1514927)
thus the confession.

Therein lies the rub.

Rob 11-10-2016 3:47pm

I have a feeling she will get what is coming to her

Mike Mercury 11-10-2016 3:47pm

http://plancksconstant.org/blog1/ima...ary-jailsm.jpg

http://i.imgflip.com/19rpkh.jpg

OddBall 11-10-2016 3:49pm

Well, I was going to suggest a firing squad, but your idea is better.

DAB 11-10-2016 3:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 1514963)
Well, I was going to suggest a firing squad, but your idea is better.

not as messy.

OddBall 11-10-2016 3:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1514967)
not as messy.

true dat

DAB 11-10-2016 3:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 1514968)
true dat

or maybe we could hire her maids to do clean up. wipe things up a bit.