The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Running on generator power now... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129746)

DJ_Critterus 09-29-2022 2:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1995057)
I swear I did not help him...therefore, he is fine.

He has his own engine stands, too...... doesn't need your help.

Stangkiller 09-29-2022 2:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1994999)
I’m gonna guess they have no power, internet or even cell service right now

Marcus has texted him to no reply either. Im hoping hes alright.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1995000)
Does it concern anyone else that Craig has extension cords running all over his house and Aerovette is posting in this thread? :skep:

no but hes probably going through some serious internet withdraw.

Aerovette 09-29-2022 4:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus (Post 1995080)
He has his own engine stands, too...... doesn't need your help.

Anyone can "have" an engine stand. It is knowing when, and how, to utilize them that counts. It's not for everyone.

mrvette 09-29-2022 6:23pm

I don't have a functional whole house generator, but I fail to understand the silliness of extension cords......I do have an old hot tub line going out back patio though, covered, and it could very easy backfeed to the main panel....so if I needed to, just flip two breakers, main and the line to the genset.....and start the genset.....it's only a ~40 amp circuit, but it could carry the HVAC system for overnight, and the stove/range is run by BBQ gas.....

:seasix:

Mick 09-29-2022 6:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by aerovette (Post 1995057)
I swear I did not help him...therefore, he is fine.

Honestly, after seeing all those cords and power strips running all over the effing place, I think I would be more comfortable if you HAD helped him! That plate of spaghetti looked pretty scary to me!

dvarapala 09-29-2022 6:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1995211)
Honestly, after seeing all those cords and power strips running all over the effing place, I think I would be more comfortable if you HAD helped him! That plate of spaghetti looked pretty scary to me!

Dude's a certified Baller - I'm amazed he doesn't have a permanent power backup solution hardwired into his house. :confused:

Mick 09-29-2022 6:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1995220)
Dude's a certified Baller - I'm amazed he doesn't have a permanent power backup solution hardwired into his house. :confused:

I'm a piker who lives in a 1700 square foot box of a house in Anytown NJ, and I have a back-up generator with a transfer switch. When the power goes out, I can literally have the entire house (except the AC) up on back-up power in less than 10 minutes. I can't imagine why a baller like him doesn't have a similar set-up, especially since his work being uninterrupted seems so important to him. :shrug:

99 pewtercoupe 09-29-2022 6:49pm

Quote:

Agreed, with Craig’s rep I would have figured he would have had a Generac or Kohler with a transfer switch so he could run that set up despite any weather conditions. I hope he and family are all safe

99 pewtercoupe 09-29-2022 6:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 1995223)
I'm a piker who lives in a 1700 square foot box of a house in Anytown NJ, and I have a back-up generator with a transfer switch. When the power goes out, I can literally have the entire house (except the AC) up on back-up power in less than 10 minutes. I can't imagine why a baller like him doesn't have a similar set-up, especially since his work being uninterrupted seems so important to him. :shrug:

When we bought our house in 2017 it came with an old and ugly (kinda like Porter) Generac. It supports all lights, AC, fridge, etc. Damn thing still fires up every time. We lost power for about six hours this afternoon but it kicked right in

Mick 09-29-2022 7:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1995225)
When we bought our house in 2017 it came with an old and ugly (kinda like Porter) Generac. It supports all lights, AC, fridge, etc. Damn thing still fires up every time. We lost power for about six hours this afternoon but it kicked right in

That's baller! :thumbs:

VITE1 09-29-2022 7:40pm

Quote:

When you have not had a major issue or even minor ones for decades the ROI ,sometimes, does not make sense.

outrunm 09-29-2022 7:52pm

Has anyone heard from the Southwest FL peeps yet?

Mike Mercury 09-29-2022 7:52pm

When IKE came through SW Ohio in 2008; we were without power for 5 days. We are on a well here... and that meant no flushing toilets !

You betcha I got a whole house generator after that experience. :yesnod:

First was a DIY whole house:
http://tim-yvonne.com/generator/

Now a Generac with buried propane tank; no concerns anymore over potential power loss.

https://tim-yvonne.com/generator/generac3.jpg

Stangkiller 09-29-2022 8:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1995090)
Marcus has texted him to no reply either. Im hoping hes alright.

no but hes probably going through some serious internet withdraw.

I have received word he’s okay, no more details than that. Marcus is fine just a few lost shingles on the roof and damaged fence.

99 pewtercoupe 09-29-2022 9:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1995255)

Now a Generac with buried propane tank; no concerns anymore over potential power loss.

We have a very similar set up 300 gallon propane tank buried in the back yard

ZipZap 09-29-2022 10:24pm

Been on a well for the last two homes; 25 years. I lived with extension cords for a while. Put in a dead man's 240v outlet in the basement so I could easily backfeed with a male/male 50A home built extension. Found out the power company in VA would install a basic transfer switch on the exterior for free and used that. Worked great when Isabel came up the Potomac.

When we built in CO, I splurged for a whole house LNG set up. While I could never justify the cost vs the benefits, even after 7 years, the abiity for me to tell the wife that everything is taken care of is priceless. Only used 4 times in 7 years for anything over a few hours, but again, it's worth it.

Needs an hour of work every couple of years to keep it in oil and filters. Easy peasy.

Aerovette 09-29-2022 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1995248)
When you have not had a major issue or even minor ones for decades the ROI ,sometimes, does not make sense.

Yep. I have lived in Houston since 1982 and if I totaled all the time together, that I have been without power it is probably under two weeks. Not worth a generator.

Tikiman 09-30-2022 6:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1995255)
When IKE came through SW Ohio in 2008; we were without power for 5 days. We are on a well here... and that meant no flushing toilets !

You betcha I got a whole house generator after that experience. :yesnod:

First was a DIY whole house:
http://tim-yvonne.com/generator/

That looks just like my old one. Thing served me well for 13 years before finally blowing a seal. I have a new sleek one now.

They are much less expensive once you already have the transfer switch wired in. 500 gallon propane tank buried out by the pool.

Aerovette 09-30-2022 8:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by StorytellerStealth (Post 1995322)
Texas electrical infrastructure must suck. Longest have been without electrical power a few hours in California. Very rare to lose electricity. Most times, it's transformer failure of a car hitting a power pole.

Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it.

The time is cumulative. How many hurricanes have you had? How many week long freezes?

Katrina, Harvey, and the big freeze we had are part of the total.