The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   So, just put out the request for more info on... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116012)

NEED-A-VETTE 05-12-2018 10:52am

So, just put out the request for more info on...

6 Attachment(s)
[...two shelter cats.]

Losing our calico in September and then our tabby three weeks ago...the house is too quiet.

Meet Picasso and DaVinci. They are a bonded pair of polydactyl males. They are litter mates. They are in foster care now, rescued from a shelter that was not a no-kill shelter.

I’ve been staring at their pics for a week now, not sure I was ready to have more kitties. I finally bit the bullet and sent the email to get more info and (hopefully) the adoption process going.

Crossing fingers they’re still available. 🤞🏻

boracayjohnny 05-12-2018 11:04am

New bedding for 'em too? :D

:cert::seasix:

Jobaka 05-12-2018 11:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1627711)

:Jeff '79: Check out the thousand yard stare on the one in the back.
These guys haven't even met you yet and they're already planning your demise. :Jeff '79:

NEED-A-VETTE 05-12-2018 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by boracayjohnny (Post 1627712)
New bedding for 'em too? :D

:cert::seasix:

That’s at their foster home. I’ll make the recommendation. :leaving:

:D

86RAG 05-12-2018 11:43am

Cute kitties. Love the double paws! Hope you get 'em :cert:

Sea Six 05-12-2018 11:46am

Awww. Cute kittie cats.

Stevedore 05-12-2018 11:55am

Good luck, I hope they work out for you. :cert: It's been many years since we had a cat; they're good company.

99 pewtercoupe 05-12-2018 12:22pm

1 Attachment(s)
Becka is talking about getting another cat since our older cat Nala (13 yrs) is not an active enough companion for Tig (1&1/2 yrs). Tig wants to play but Nala just wants to sleep and hang out.
Becka and Tig

simpleman68 05-12-2018 1:09pm

Congrats on the potential new putty tats!

Had my share of rescues over they years as well. :angel:
Scott

NEED-A-VETTE 05-12-2018 1:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1627721)
Becka is talking about getting another cat since our older cat Nala (13 yrs) is not an active enough companion for Tig (1&1/2 yrs). Tig wants to play but Nala just wants to sleep and hang out.
Becka and Tig

Not a bad idea. Lots of loveable cats in shelters just waiting for a home. ❤️

snide 05-12-2018 4:06pm

I can mail you Tommy and Tammy. They look just like those cats. They came from a shelter too. I won't hqve you do any paperwork, nor charge you a rehoming fee. Or postage. PM for details.

MEANZ06 05-12-2018 4:19pm

Years ago we had an orange one like that. He was very affectionate with us but out in the hood he was a bad ass. I got a knock on the door once, it was a neighbor with a ball of fur in his hand and not happy. He told me if he caught him he would BBQ him. Apparently "Bud" went in his house, upstairs, and kicked the sh*t out of his cat...

I miss Bud... :sadangel:

Good looking Cats. Hope they get a forever home with you Sandy!

ToolMaker 05-13-2018 7:45am

My nickname for double paws is " 4 wheel drive Kitty". I've had a few over the years! :seasix:

mrvette 05-13-2018 7:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToolMaker (Post 1627819)
My nickname for double paws is " 4 wheel drive Kitty". I've had a few over the years! :seasix:

I remember some 40+ years ago, her ex slipped some poison meat under the ex/kids mom's apartment door....took out the Golden retriever, so a few weeks later she wanted a orange cat.....so looked around and without any .gov crap, picked up a kitten.....I was holding him in my bare arms, standing in the apt....and of course the older cat spooked him...he took off, two patches on each arm, bleeding....so we named him Four Wheel Drive....4 wheel for short.....we had the posi traction removed in front.....

strangely enough, after the divorce, they both ran out into the typical suburban street out front, and got killed by cars....and years ago, down here in Florida, same ending for other cats....weird......

:sadangel::sadangel::sadangel::sadangel:

markids77 05-13-2018 8:06pm

Get them neutered if they are not already and rescue them for real. You are fortunate they are already paired up... I think single cats get depressed hanging out alone all day.

NEED-A-VETTE 05-13-2018 9:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1627871)
Get them neutered if they are not already and rescue them for real. You are fortunate they are already paired up... I think single cats get depressed hanging out alone all day.

The shelters here only adopt out animals that are spayed or neutered. If they are too young for them to spay/neuter before adoption, you have to give them a deposit that is returned only after you have had them fixed (and bring back the medical records with proof of such).

They also come with all their vaccines and are microchipped. Most are FIV/FeLV tested, as well, depending on the shelter.

I found these guys thru https://www.adoptapet.com/. They work in collaboration with shelters nationwide. It was not hard to find a bonded pair, as the site allows you to specify whether or not you want an animal that is part of a bonded pair.

I also looked using https://www.petfinder.com/. They will tell you when an animal is part of a bonded pair, but they don’t have it as one of their search criteria. You basically have to look at each description to determine if they are.

Haven’t heard anything back on these two. It is mother’s day weekend, though. These two are in a foster home, run by a non-profit organization that pulls animals out of shelters that euthanize.

I’ll follow up Tuesday morning if I don’t hear from them tomorrow. 🐈

JRD77VET 05-13-2018 9:09pm

Hope it works out :yesnod:

Sea Six 05-14-2018 12:37am

Good luck, Sandy!

86RAG 05-14-2018 6:06am

Good luck :seasix:

Bill 05-14-2018 6:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jobaka (Post 1627713)
:Jeff '79: Check out the thousand yard stare on the one in the back.
These guys haven't even met you yet and they're already planning your demise. :Jeff '79:

opposable thumbs + murder mittens = :ohnoes:

snide 05-14-2018 8:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1627883)

I can have Tommy and Tammy boxed up and ready to ship Tuesday, if you don't hear from them. :yesnod: They're a bonded pair...

erickpl 05-14-2018 9:39am

All of our kitties are rescues from shelters or ones we found as strays along busy roads.

You do NOT want to know how many we have. LOL

NEED-A-VETTE 05-14-2018 3:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1627914)
I can have Tommy and Tammy boxed up and ready to ship Tuesday, if you don't hear from them. :yesnod: They're a bonded pair...

Your better half will beat your azz if you ship off those kitties. :spank: :funny:

99 pewtercoupe 05-14-2018 4:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1627907)
opposable thumbs + murder mittens = :ohnoes:

If cats had opposable thumbs...we would all be in deep dodoo :funnier:

NEED-A-VETTE 05-14-2018 6:35pm

Update: The boys are both still available. Application for adoption was approved. Picasso is on antibiotics for a few more weeks for a respiratory infection. While we wait for him to heal up, we will do a meet and greet and in-home inspection.

We should have these boys with us in 2-3 weeks, which will allow this foster home to rescue additional special needs animals from euthanasia at the county/city shelters.

:dance:

MrPeabody 05-14-2018 6:48pm

:cert:

99 pewtercoupe 05-14-2018 7:03pm

Congrats
I am sure your new feline overlords will be gentile training you :lol:

JRD77VET 05-14-2018 7:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1627981)
Congrats
I am sure your new feline overlords will be gentile training you :lol:

But what if they're Jewish? Ooy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Congrats Sandy and Nox. I'm sure the cats are already planning your demise :lol:

FasterTraffic 05-14-2018 7:30pm

https://d188rgcu4zozwl.cloudfront.ne...ces/2080833241

Spence has a copy you can borrow.

:leaving:

snide 05-14-2018 7:32pm

:cool: :thumbs::thumbs:

:cheers:

markids77 05-14-2018 8:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1627883)
The shelters here only adopt out animals that are spayed or neutered. If they are too young for them to spay/neuter before adoption, you have to give them a deposit that is returned only after you have had them fixed (and bring back the medical records with proof of such).

They also come with all their vaccines and are microchipped. Most are FIV/FeLV tested, as well, depending on the shelter.

I found these guys thru https://www.adoptapet.com/. They work in collaboration with shelters nationwide. It was not hard to find a bonded pair, as the site allows you to specify whether or not you want an animal that is part of a bonded pair.

I also looked using https://www.petfinder.com/. They will tell you when an animal is part of a bonded pair, but they don’t have it as one of their search criteria. You basically have to look at each description to determine if they are.

Haven’t heard anything back on these two. It is mother’s day weekend, though. These two are in a foster home, run by a non-profit organization that pulls animals out of shelters that euthanize.

Wow. Our local shelters require you to have a verifiable relationship with a vet, and proof of residence. That's it. The animals are up to date on shots, but neutering is an adopter's responsibility available at a discount from the shelter. Your local regulations are onerous, but fair to the critters as they seem to sift casual parents out of the mix.:seasix:

99 pewtercoupe 05-14-2018 8:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by FasterTraffic (Post 1627985)
https://d188rgcu4zozwl.cloudfront.ne...ces/2080833241

Spence has a copy you can borrow.

I think Spence has the companion book...
“Drinking With Your Cat, A Feline Guide to Gin”

NEED-A-VETTE 05-14-2018 8:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1627989)
Wow. Our local shelters require you to have a verifiable relationship with a vet, and proof of residence. That's it. The animals are up to date on shots, but neutering is an adopter's responsibility available at a discount from the shelter. Your local regulations are onerous, but fair to the critters as they seem to sift casual parents out of the mix.:seasix:

The city/county run shelters are not as strict. These foster homes (that rescue animals from euthanasia) usually carry a lot of costs on their own. Many of the animals are special needs and/or rehabilitated. They want to make sure that they animals are going to a good home. :angel:

Cybercowboy 05-14-2018 10:30pm

So do you do or do you ain't got cats now? This here is a lot a-talkin' and a-writin' but I ain't seen no cats sittin' on y'all's laps or tearin' up your stuff as they do when they get riled.

NEED-A-VETTE 05-14-2018 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1627995)
So do you do or do you ain't got cats now? This here is a lot a-talkin' and a-writin' but I ain't seen no cats sittin' on y'all's laps or tearin' up your stuff as they do when they get riled.

We ain’t...yet. :funny:

They’ll stay at their foster home until the respiratory infection is gone. The stress of relocating to a new home could be detrimental to the healing process. That’ll be a few weeks and then we can bring them home. In the meantime, we’ll visit them at the foster home.

Cybercowboy 05-14-2018 10:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1627997)
We ain’t...yet. :funny:

They’ll stay at their foster home until the respiratory infection is gone. The stress of relocating to a new home could be detrimental to the healing process. That’ll be a few weeks and then we can bring them home. In the meantime, we’ll visit them at the foster home.

:ohnoes::datawiz:

NEED-A-VETTE 05-14-2018 11:03pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1627998)
:ohnoes::datawiz:

Sea Six 05-15-2018 1:53am

:funnier:

Congrats on the new home addition!

Looking forward to pics of them in their new fur-ever home.

86RAG 05-15-2018 2:58am

1 Attachment(s)
Charlie approves!

mrvette 05-15-2018 9:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86RAG (Post 1628006)
Charlie approves!

Linda and I do too....so does Tinker, Bo, and Diddly.....:seasix::cert:

Sea Six 05-15-2018 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86RAG (Post 1628006)
Charlie approves!

That is a beautiful cat.

86RAG 05-15-2018 10:53am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1628023)
That is a beautiful cat.

And he looks just like me!

MrPeabody 05-15-2018 12:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1627991)
The city/county run shelters are not as strict. These foster homes (that rescue animals from euthanasia) usually carry a lot of costs on their own. Many of the animals are special needs and/or rehabilitated. They want to make sure that they animals are going to a good home. :angel:

We got one of our dogs from a rescue group like that. They drove all the way down to Orange County from Northern California to rescue her. She was at death's door, weighed 9 lbs (20 lbs is her normal weight) was completely flea bitten and her hair was almost all gone. No one would have adopted her in that condition and she would have been put down.

The rescue group spayed her, microchipped her and groomed her. I paid $300 for that mutt that no one wanted, but that money helped some other dogs, too.
At least she was tax deductible.:D

snide 05-15-2018 1:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86RAG (Post 1628030)
And he looks just like me!

Having met Dennis last week, I can confirm that he looks exactly like a *****. Er, his cat. :yesnod:

86RAG 05-15-2018 2:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snide (Post 1628042)
Having met Dennis last week, I can confirm that he looks exactly like a *****. Er, his cat. :yesnod:

:moon:

snide 05-15-2018 2:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86RAG (Post 1628046)
:moon:

:funnier::funnier::funnier:

Grey Ghost 05-15-2018 6:37pm

Cats are cool.

NEED-A-VETTE 05-15-2018 7:01pm

We are going to meet them this Saturday. :dance:

Sea Six 05-15-2018 7:15pm

Take pics!!

NEED-A-VETTE 05-15-2018 7:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1628070)
Take pics!!

I will. :cheers:

Jobaka 05-16-2018 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1628070)
Take pics!!

NEED-A-VETTE 05-16-2018 6:51pm

I’m going to take the laser pointer with me, just in case they’re on the shy side.

And maybe some catnip. :leaving:

99 pewtercoupe 05-16-2018 7:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEED-A-VETTE (Post 1628230)
I’m going to take the laser pointer with me, just in case they’re on the shy side.

And maybe some catnip. :leaving:

https://goo.gl/images/X4UPFq
:funnier::party:

JRD77VET 05-16-2018 7:47pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1628234)

:rasta:

here's what you tried to post

NEED-A-VETTE 05-19-2018 2:44pm

Just met the kitties. Didn’t take pics because they’re in someone’s private home (foster home) and that seemed intrusive. But we spend about an hour with them and they are adorable!!

The orange one is a little shy, but started to come around after about 30 minutes. :angel: He’s super chill and just flops down on the floor. The grey one needed exactly zero minutes to warm up to us. He was demanding love as soon as he saw us. In fact, if I stopped petting him for a minute, he’d tap me so I would continue. :funny:

They are about 8-9 months old and are already big boys...but you can tell by their ears and paws that they still have a lot of growing to do. They are going to be big guys once they are full grown.

They seem to finally be on the correct antibiotics for their respiratory infections, so we are setting up the home inspection in the coming week. (I guess they were in very bad shape when they were pulled from the shelter.) Once they get the all clear (after a final chest X-ray) from the vet, we should have them home with us.

:dance:

99 pewtercoupe 05-19-2018 4:01pm

Glad to hear they are taking care of the health issues before releasing the kittens to you. A number of years ago we adopted two kittens through a Pet Smart adoption day. Turned out not only did both have respiratory infections, they both had ringworm also. Had to keep them quarantined from our other two cats for over a month while treating.
Do you know what it’s like trying to keep existing resident cats separated from new arrivals for that long?:lol: