The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Politics & Religion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Calling VB Experts: Gun Thread- Let's Talk AK Magazines (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115168)

bill_daniels 02-28-2018 11:04pm

Calling VB Experts: Gun Thread- Let's Talk AK Magazines

I have an older Egyptian AK, bought during the ban period, so it came with 10 rd mags. I bought a cheapo 30 rd mag at the time that never seemed to cycle correctly, yet the factory 10 rounders worked fine.

I'm going to try a 3rd gen Magpul and an original Egyptian mag and see how those work. Any other suggestions?

Also, any AR deals out there, or is this a bad time? Prefer Colt, S&W or Springfield w/Magpul furniture.

Edit: Anyone know what's up with the Sig 320 and the dropping issue? I see there was an almost immediate fix, but are the 320's sold now reworked, built with the new "fixed"parts, or originals that will have the dropping issue?

6spdC6 03-01-2018 7:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1616351)
I have an older Egyptian AK, bought during the ban period, so it came with 10 rd mags. I bought a cheapo 30 rd mag at the time that never seemed to cycle correctly, yet the factory 10 rounders worked fine.

I'm going to try a 3rd gen Magpul and an original Egyptian mag and see how those work. Any other suggestions?

Also, any AR deals out there, or is this a bad time? Prefer Colt, S&W or Springfield w/Magpul furniture.

Edit: Anyone know what's up with the Sig 320 and the dropping issue? I see there was an almost immediate fix, but are the 320's sold now reworked, built with the new "fixed"parts, or originals that will have the dropping issue?

Must be a super bad mag, as those guns are totally idiot proof, which makes them very dependable. Literally millions of mags available for that gun, go get a couple that work right!-:cert:

bill_daniels 03-01-2018 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6spdC6 (Post 1616372)
Must be a super bad mag, as those guns are totally idiot proof, which makes them very dependable. Literally millions of mags available for that gun, go get a couple that work right!-:cert:

I read up a little about it last night, and there were a couple of years where they were made to only accept the 5 or 10 round mags. It's possible this is one of those, and I notice that the bayonet lug has been ground off, which was done to make them ban compliant. One story I read said the mags had to be filed slightly for proper fitment. We shall see.

RedLS1GTO 03-01-2018 11:08am

AK-47 or AK-74?

I generally use old metal Milsurp 30s in various AK-47s and they work like a champ. Always. I have never had a 47 that liked plastic 30 round mags from any manufacturer, including Magpul. Every time I have ever tried, I have had feed issues, especially if you are firing at a fast rate.

In the 74s, I still prefer metal but I have had much less issue than in the 47s, although I still have seen occasional feed issues that do not happen with metal mags on the same rifles.

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on Magpul for an AK.

6spdC6 03-01-2018 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1616376)
I read up a little about it last night, and there were a couple of years where they were made to only accept the 5 or 10 round mags. It's possible this is one of those, and I notice that the bayonet lug has been ground off, which was done to make them ban compliant. One story I read said the mags had to be filed slightly for proper fitment. We shall see.

Thats news to me. Quite possible as all sorts of dumb ass laws call for dumb ass solutions!

bill_daniels 03-01-2018 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO (Post 1616384)
AK-47 or AK-74?

I generally use old metal Milsurp 30s in various AK-47s and they work like a champ. Always. I have never had a 47 that liked plastic 30 round mags from any manufacturer, including Magpul. Every time I have ever tried, I have had feed issues, especially if you are firing at a fast rate.

In the 74s, I still prefer metal but I have had much less issue than in the 47s, although I still have seen occasional feed issues that do not happen with metal mags on the same rifles.

Personally I wouldn't waste my money on Magpul for an AK.

Its a 47. The 3rd gen Magpul, while plastic, is supposed to have metal innards, an improved design. The OEM Maadi I ordered is metal.

We'll see what happens when I get those. The gun's been just collecting dust for years. The mag I bought at the time was metal, but it leaves the bolt carrier open after a few rounds. You'd physically have to bump that bolt carrier closed to chamber the next round. Didn't do that with the 10 round mag.

allthrottleandsomebottle 03-01-2018 5:05pm

Some manipulation by bending and shaving is required for mags............hell I can even get a plastic 30 round to work after a shave/grind here and there