The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Selling a car is a pain.... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119765)

69camfrk 07-13-2019 10:17am

Selling a car is a pain....

I have my Grand Sport up for sale right now on CL. Anyway, some lacky gets in touch with me through CL. I tell him the car is still for sale. So...said dummy emails me back with some bullshit about taking over payments, etc. So, I just tell him to **** off. Just a two word sentence telling him that. He emails back asking why I'm a rude mofo. I just don't have time for scammers. So, I sent one last message back asking him what part of ''**** off" he didn't understand, and to not contact me again. I have no patience for people like that.:issues:

Jeff '79 07-13-2019 10:59am

Once he said the financing thing, you should have just ignored him right then and there.
You'll learn that if you deal on CL as much as I did, that It's just not worth it.
When I first started selling stuff on CL, I did what you did, but soon realized, someone else always comes along and buys it, so I don't even give swine like that the satisfaction anymore.
At least you know people are seeing your ad.

6spdC6 07-13-2019 11:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1676124)
I have my Grand Sport up for sale right now on CL. Anyway, some lacky gets in touch with me through CL. I tell him the car is still for sale. So...said dummy emails me back with some bullshit about taking over payments, etc. So, I just tell him to **** off. Just a two word sentence telling him that. He emails back asking why I'm a rude mofo. I just don't have time for scammers. So, I sent one last message back asking him what part of ''**** off" he didn't understand, and to not contact me again. I have no patience for people like that.:issues:

For the most part I gave up selling and just trading in to dealer. Its a little more expensive but with the sales tax difference and not having to put up with assholes its worth it. Its all over and done fast.

Put 3 YO trucks for sale on my lawn (I Lived on a busy road) I priced it exceedingly fair and of course was willing to dicker some. This was like 20 years ago and no computer crap to deal with What I found out is people expect you to give them the truck for peanuts. I was selling loaded 4X4 pick ups and in their mind they only think about the stripper contractors specials type money.

They made insulting offers like $5,000 less than I was asking for and other bullshit conditions. Even had one pain in the ass small dealer that wanted, just about demanded I sell him the truck for much less as he was going to resell it. Why he thought I would do that, I have no clue, the second time he came back I straighten him out and told him dealer or not your not steeling this truck and get lost!

I kept the truck plated and insured so it was legal for test drives. (that also cost money) as I'm, now also paying for the new pick up and my wife's car.

69camfrk 07-13-2019 11:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 1676132)
Once he said the financing thing, you should have just ignored him right then and there.
You'll learn that if you deal on CL as much as I did, that It's just not worth it.
When I first started selling stuff on CL, I did what you did, but soon realized, someone else always comes along and buys it, so I don't even give swine like that the satisfaction anymore.
At least you know people are seeing your ad.

But I just felt so much better by telling him to FO.:D

99 pewtercoupe 07-13-2019 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1676139)

Hard to put a dollar amount on that but definitely worth something :seasix:

Jeff '79 07-13-2019 2:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69camfrk (Post 1676139)

Ya, I get it.....:Jeff '79:

Wathen1955 07-13-2019 3:02pm

I had the same experience selling my 96 vette on CL. I specifically stated that the car is sold as is (nothing wrong with the car), price is non-negotiable, cash sale only.
Guys offers 1/2 my asking price and wants to make payments. I asked him if he read the ad? He says yes. I then told him that maybe he needs to go back and read it again, or have someone else read it to him, because it's quite obvious that you don't know now to read. CLICK.
I then blocked his number. Probably the last time I'll try to sell a car on CL.

RedLS1GTO 07-13-2019 4:47pm

I love people like that... Here, fill out this credit app.

My money then comes from the bank, title work is easy, done.

BADRACR1 07-13-2019 8:39pm

I flip a few on cl. I always reply when asked that I have an easy payment plan: one and done.

StaticCling 07-13-2019 8:52pm

How much are you asking James?

Will you take payments or trades? I have an old refrigerator, canoe, swing-set, croquet clubs (missing a few balls), Victrola, Dominoes Pizza Gift Cards, 2x4's, 2 man tent, antique shovel (minus handle), furniture dolly, top soil, VCR, Motorolla Star Tac and RAZR phones unblocked, 1 Megpixel Kodak Digital Camera, Turntable, Vintage JBL Speakers (Both will need minor repairs, but you can duct tape them temporary) - All of these items might add up to your asking price, but you might have to throw in some cash.

Let me know. If you don't want my items, you can come up with a financing plan for me, I'll need your title first for tax purposes though. So you will have to sighn the car over to me first. I'll pay you the first payment when I get a job.

Can you throw anything else to sweeten the deal for me?

MrPeabody 07-13-2019 9:40pm

When I was selling cars I was filling out a credit app on this guy and I asked him if he had a job and he said "No, but I've got two interviews this week."

I aske a woman if she had any repossessions and she said "No, I gave two of them back."

69camfrk 07-13-2019 10:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1676174)
How much are you asking James?

Will you take payments or trades? I have an old refrigerator, canoe, swing-set, croquet clubs (missing a few balls), Victrola, Dominoes Pizza Gift Cards, 2x4's, 2 man tent, antique shovel (minus handle), furniture dolly, top soil, VCR, Motorolla Star Tac and RAZR phones unblocked, 1 Megpixel Kodak Digital Camera, Turntable, Vintage JBL Speakers (Both will need minor repairs, but you can duct tape them temporary) - All of these items might add up to your asking price, but you might have to throw in some cash.

Let me know. If you don't want my items, you can come up with a financing plan for me, I'll need your title first for tax purposes though. So you will have to sighn the car over to me first. I'll pay you the first payment when I get a job.

Can you throw anything else to sweeten the deal for me?

What kind of grill do you have?:rofl:

StaticCling 07-14-2019 12:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1676177)
When I was selling cars I was filling out a credit app on this guy and I asked him if he had a job and he said "No, but I've got two interviews this week."

I aske a woman if she had any repossessions and she said "No, I gave two of them back."

:Jeff '79:

boracayjohnny 07-14-2019 12:37am

CL is where scammers and the ignorant hang out in great numbers. Don't fight them since their stupidity rubs off.

Selling: I know whats I got, no low ballers.

Buying: Umm, you want $10k for that almost new car? I'll give ya $1k if ya puts some twennyfoes.

Mike Mercury 07-14-2019 9:27am

https://img.memecdn.com/just-hang-on..._o_1063845.jpg

Grey Ghost 07-14-2019 8:16pm

I hate dealing with buyers of anything for sale. I've had pretty good luck so far though.

04 commemorative 07-14-2019 9:49pm

Wife posted mine on FB marketplace and it sold pretty quick.

C5SilverBullet 07-15-2019 8:34am

Quote:

Selling a car is a pain....
Tell me about it...

dwjz06 07-15-2019 8:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet (Post 1676239)
Tell me about it...

:D:lol:

UniqueDoug 07-15-2019 1:45pm

The red 2011, just saw it on CL. :D

How much did the dealer offer on trade?