The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Fox News is such a fkng drama queen this am (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117257)

Broken Wind 09-14-2018 5:39am

Fox News is such a fkng drama queen this am

I’ve been channel surfing coverage of the hurricane this morning. If an academy award existed for “most drama during a weather event”, FN would win hands down. Frankly, it’s embarrassing to watch their guy in the field overdramatize the event.

WTF are we doing?

Sea Six 09-14-2018 5:53am

I was sick of their hurricane coverage yesterday. I can only imagine it's gotten worse this morning.

Hoog 09-14-2018 6:24am

Drama sells...

Mike Mercury 09-14-2018 7:52am

https://images1.miaminewtimes.com/im...1/irmagerd.jpg

Bill 09-14-2018 8:04am

The wind won't be a huge problem, and the storm surge, while it will cause problems for property owners on the front line, won't be a major catastrophe. What will happen is, a whole lot of people will have their houses and businesses flooded, making it another super expensive disaster.

This won't be a people killer, or a catastrophe where everything is just blown away, just a shitload of flooded buildings and cars.

99 pewtercoupe 09-14-2018 8:08am

If you want drama reporting, try watching the Weather Channel. Those storm nerds literally live for these type of events.

Broken Wind 09-14-2018 8:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1643013)
If you want drama reporting, try watching the Weather Channel. Those storm nerds literally live for these type of events.

Upon further review, it appears I Warren Beatty’d the award announcement. Cantore must not have been out of bed yet when I announced the winner.

OMG! Quick, somebody...find a clogged sewer drain that I can stand in and drag a downed tree branch next to it. Now we have a morning show!

Sea Six 09-14-2018 8:41am

VITE1 09-14-2018 11:52am

What's really pissing me off is this is the hyping of the whole "Cat 4 " hurricane thing for days then it dwindles out to a cat 1.

What will happen when they have a real monster storm coming the people will just laugh and say "That's what they said the last two times". The over hyping is going to destroy thier credibility.

Sea Six 09-14-2018 12:12pm

It has the moisture of a cat 4 (or even a 5) storm.

Most of the property damage and loss of life are due to the flooding and storm surge, which is still there in the storm even though the winds died down.

Vite, those folks are going to get such an ass-raping from this storm they won't ever have the problem you mentioned.

erickpl 09-14-2018 12:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1643021)

Most of the property damage and loss of life are due to the flooding and storm surge, which is still there in the storm even though the winds died down.

Vite, those folks are going to get such an ass-raping from this storm they won't ever have the problem you mentioned.

Kinda begs the question: What determines category and is it sufficient?

Wind speed alone is not enough apparently. Cat 1 winds but moving slower than molasses. So rain, surge, etc come into play.

Maybe they need to reconsider the hurricane severity based on multiple factors. This one is a HUGE storm and moving slowly. Water damage will be huge but wind damage may be less than expected.

VatorMan 09-14-2018 1:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl (Post 1643023)

Wind speed alone is not enough apparently. Cat 1 winds but moving slower than molasses. So rain, surge, etc come into play.

Maybe they need to reconsider the hurricane severity based on multiple factors. This one is a HUGE storm and moving slowly. Water damage will be huge but wind damage may be less than expected.

The true question is-Would the damage be less with people around to mitigate ? I guess we'll never know.

erickpl 09-14-2018 1:08pm

It'd be less if people stopped building on barrier island and on the beach. :)

VITE1 09-14-2018 1:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1643021)

The average person will only remember the Cat 4 and catastrophic warnings of Armageddon and will ignore future warning.

Most people are idiots.

Broken Wind 09-14-2018 2:26pm

1 Attachment(s)

Will 09-14-2018 2:59pm

I stopped watching Fox Business because it's pure shit and when they're not covering a Hurricane CNN style, they're screeching about politics 24/7 instead of business.

CNBC all the way now.

And I do enjoy the occasional storm carnage watching. I follow Jeff Piatrowski on Twitter and Periscope. Watched a BP gas station awning get demolished by 85mph+ winds last night.

Sea Six 09-14-2018 3:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VITE1 (Post 1643026)
The average person will only remember the Cat 4 and catastrophic warnings of Armageddon and will ignore future warning.

Most people are idiots.

The average person in that area will never forget the ass raping the storm is going to give them, is my point.

Sea Six 09-14-2018 3:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by erickpl (Post 1643023)

The Saffir Simpson scale is for wind only.

It only categorizes a storm by the predicted wind damage. Other damage such as storm surge and flooding have more to do with moisture than wind. Once a storm hits category 4 and 5, the amount of moisture the storm picks up is much greater than that of a cat 1 or 2. The problem is, that moisture does not dissipate as the winds dissipate.

The storm is still carrying the equivalent of a cat 4 storm in terms of moisture. and rainfall.

Sea Six 09-14-2018 3:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will (Post 1643030)
I stopped watching Fox Business because it's pure shit and when they're not covering a Hurricane CNN style, they're screeching about politics 24/7 instead of business.

CNBC all the way now.

And I do enjoy the occasional storm carnage watching. I follow Jeff Piatrowski on Twitter and Periscope. Watched a BP gas station awning get demolished by 85mph+ winds last night.

I like One America News better than all the others.

Bill 09-14-2018 4:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sea Six (Post 1643032)
The average person in that area will never forget the ass raping the storm is going to give them, is my point.

Exactly. Texas went through this very thing, this year, with Harvey. It wasn't the wind or the storm surge that caused the vast swaths of damage, it was the flooding. Hell, two years ago, we had what we euphemistically call the "Tax Day Flood," which wasn't even a tropical system....it just rained, and devastated large swaths of Houston. Flooding probably isn't as glamorous for the news channels as buildings being knocked down, but even an inch of water in a home or business is devastating.