The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Dog speak (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136977)

Datawiz 03-21-2024 12:14pm

Dog speak

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone else's dog communicate with you in this fashion? Poor Cricket is nearing 14.5 years and her legs aren't any better than mine, but when she's hungry, she opens the pantry door. :lol:

She has much trouble walking, and even getting up from lying down, hence we have runners throughout all the tiled areas in the house. We should have done the same thing for our Lab Bailey when he was elderly, but we did not. :(

Onebadcad 03-21-2024 12:23pm

Nope, but both, Dolly and Ringo will come a-running when either the pantry or fridge door is opened.

Good luck with Cricket, hope she makes it to 20+!!

LATB 03-21-2024 12:29pm

Yes.
We communicate with our Labradors. The chocolate one guards the pantry door because she knows that the food is in there.

Datawiz 03-21-2024 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onebadcad (Post 2235107)

Good luck with Cricket, hope she makes it to 20+!!

Cricket does the same, but no way in heck is she making 20. We'll be surprised if she makes Christmas. Pooping in the house has become a nearly daily escapade. She has no concept anymore when she has to go, even though my wife takes her on 2x daily walks.

Unsuspicious 03-21-2024 12:32pm

My dog has talking buttons she presses for "outside", "treat please", "foods please"
I've had to change the batteries in the "treat please" button the most

Datawiz 03-21-2024 12:36pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unsuspicious (Post 2235119)
My dog has talking buttons she presses for "outside", "treat please", "foods please"
I've had to change the batteries in the "treat please" button the most

My daughter has introduced said buttons for her newly adopted dog "Dobby". He was a stray that was walking around their neighborhood. A neighbor took him in and then kicked him out. Daughter and her boyfriend have spent thousands to get this little gem trained. :yesnod:

kingpin 03-21-2024 1:55pm

Wendel will sit by the door if he wants to go out. If I'm lying on the couch he will jump in my office chair behind the couch as an audible way for me to know he want's to go take a leak.

He's a fussy eater though. Very, very rarely will he sit by his bowl asking for food. I only feed him raw or fresh food that I eat. He has never accepted dog kibble wet or dry.

Datawiz 03-21-2024 2:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingpin (Post 2235209)
Wendel will sit by the door if he wants to go out. If I'm lying on the couch he will jump in my office chair behind the couch as an audible way for me to know he want's to go take a leak.

He's a fussy eater though. Very, very rarely will he sit by his bowl asking for food. I only feed him raw or fresh food that I eat. He has never accepted dog kibble wet or dry.

We have just transitioned this week to cooked chicken, rice and green beans because she won't eat kibble or even wet dog food. She woofs down the new food, but at her age, whatever she wants, she gets. She doesn't have much time left. :sadangel:

Aerovette 03-21-2024 2:15pm

1 Attachment(s)
Those runners are very familiar. They are in parts of our office building.

My dog communicates through pushbuttons. One says "Hungry" one says "Treat" the other says "Outside".

Swany00 03-21-2024 2:18pm

yup, my girl won't eat breakfast until I'm out of bed

DAB 03-21-2024 2:23pm

dog: i'm tired boss, real tired....

give her some love from me.

zeek 03-21-2024 2:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datawiz (Post 2235217)
We have just transitioned this week to cooked chicken, rice and green beans because she won't eat kibble or even wet dog food. She woofs down the new food, but at her age, whatever she wants, she gets. She doesn't have much time left. :sadangel:

I was feeding my dogs a combo of wet mixed with dry. Then they started to get fussy. So now I buy Fresh Pet wet food and put it in the microwave for 20 seconds and then mix it with the dry. Now they gobble it up...:yesnod:

ricks327 03-21-2024 2:33pm

2 Attachment(s)
During the warmer weather, Bailey would lay at the front door and bark once. Miss that bugger.
Attachment 98779

Attachment 98780

slewfoot 03-21-2024 3:28pm

https://i.imgur.com/oXB1eNQ.jpg

My other pups who are now gone had good communicating skills. My Bailey here is now 7 months and she is developing.

She will sit in front of the kitchen counter when its around the time frame for breakfast or dinner and just look up.

I can safely say she is house broken but during the day or some odd time, if she has to go, she will start giving you that puppy biting nibble thing on your hand.

Crude but it's her way and it works.

VatorMan 03-21-2024 4:02pm

Chili will get her squeak toy and squeak that MFer right at 4:30 pm every day until she’s fed.

Taurus 03-21-2024 4:54pm

Mine are not that subtle, they just drop an empty bowel at my feet.

https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...pictureid=3977

Datawiz 03-21-2024 4:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurus (Post 2235295)
Mine are not that subtle, they just drop an empty bowel at my feet.

https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/...pictureid=3977

:rofl:

Vette40th 03-21-2024 5:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Datawiz (Post 2235102)
Anyone else's dog communicate with you in this fashion? Poor Cricket is nearing 14.5 years and her legs aren't any better than mine, but when she's hungry, she opens the pantry door. :lol:

She has much trouble walking, and even getting up from lying down, hence we have runners throughout all the tiled areas in the house. We should have done the same thing for our Lab Bailey when he was elderly, but we did not. :(

We gave our cat, Solensia and she started walking and going up and down the stairs within a day or two.
For the older Dog, large breed 100lbs, we gave Zoetis. He is walking much better. I am sure they have many available. But for a 100 bucks a month, quality of life for the pets seems fair.
And I learned quickly my pets real names are treat and walk. Say those two words and they are all over me.
Of course, any ever so slightly opening of the refrigerator, and they are there as well.

Mick 03-21-2024 7:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by slewfoot (Post 2235269)
I can safely say she is house broken but during the day or some odd time, if she has to go, she will start giving you that puppy biting nibble thing on your hand.

When Miss Belle was a puppy, she would come over to me or my wife, and rub her front teeth (mouth closed) back and forth on our arm or leg with a really grumpy look on her face. It didn't take long for us to figure out she was saying she needed to "drop grumpy".

She's 12 now, and despite extensive pharmaceutical assistance, has trouble getting up and down the stairs to get in and out of the house. She goes out 4 times per day now (compared to constantly when she was younger), and manages to schedule her grumpy drops to coincide with one of those sojourns to the back yard.

I've explained to her that she is not allowed to leave me now, because we have a full spate of dog-friendly road trips scheduled through September of this year.

slewfoot 03-21-2024 7:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick (Post 2235332)
When Miss Belle was a puppy, she would come over to me or my wife, and rub her front teeth (mouth closed) back and forth on our arm or leg with a really grumpy look on her face. It didn't take long for us to figure out she was saying she needed to "drop grumpy".

She's 12 now, and despite extensive pharmaceutical assistance, has trouble getting up and down the stairs to get in and out of the house. She goes out 4 times per day now (compared to constantly when she was younger), and manages to schedule her grumpy drops to coincide with one of those sojourns to the back yard.

I've explained to her that she is not allowed to leave me now, because we have a full spate of dog-friendly road trips scheduled through September of this year.

Yeh, Ricky left us just before Christmas. He was the last of a house full over the years. I told the wife to give us a break and do some traveling before starting up again. You know, flying around. Well that lasted about a week when she spotted Bailey at the Humane Society site.

So, I still want to see some sights but I guess it will be by car.