The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C4 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Metal shavings on spark plug (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30376)

Montehall 02-24-2012 8:14pm

Metal shavings on spark plug

https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/o...park-plug.html

PLRX 02-24-2012 9:43pm

I will say this; metal shavings dont belong in the cylinder. If I had metal shavings in my 383 I would say it time for the 396 build up.

drmrman 02-25-2012 7:09am

Agree with Pete.... Metal in the cylinders means major problem. Because what's failing will most likely destroy your piston rings and cylinder walls next if what is failing doesn't break first. Sounds like a tear down rebuild time to me!

Taurus 02-25-2012 11:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLRX (Post 589971)
I will say this; metal shavings dont belong in the cylinder. If I had metal shavings in my 383 I would say it time for the 396 build up.

I have to agree. There is definitely something wrong in at least that one cylinder, just a matter of time. If the ceramic potion of your plug is pasty white with an ash like texture as well then you're running too hot due to a lean condition which is causing portions of your piston to melt and break off.

Only "good" scenario is that the spark plug was cross threaded when installed and the shavings fell into the head. Better chance of a piston problem though.

Montehall 02-25-2012 12:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taurus (Post 590227)
I have to agree. There is definitely something wrong in at least that one cylinder, just a matter of time. If the ceramic potion of your plug is pasty white with an ash like texture as well then you're running too hot due to a lean condition which is causing portions of your piston to melt and break off.

Only "good" scenario is that the spark plug was cross threaded when installed and the shavings fell into the head. Better chance of a piston problem though.

Hmmm. Definetly not cross threaded.
Ill have see what a compression test reveals

Sweet 90 02-25-2012 12:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montehall (Post 590267)
I went to post my current issue with my C4 on CF's C4 gen. I started a new thread, and just linked in my post here on vbot and simply asked if anyonbe else had input.

Then I realized what I was doing, and canceled it.

Could have been good, though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montehall (Post 590277)
I almost made a post in corvette forums C4 section. In that post, I linked to my thread here on VBOT and asked for some more advice.
Almost.

Wow man! Do you think we are all stupid here?

Montehall 02-25-2012 1:18pm

not at all

but ther are some people over there that I have met and would like thier input as well.

Frizlefrak 02-25-2012 1:21pm

Monte....Jon said it all. If the plug isn't crossthreaded, it's time for exploratory surgery....and I don't think you're gonna like what you find. The metal shavings are either coming from the piston, cylinder wall, or head. It's possible you have an oil gallery plugged and that the valve guide is starving for oil....thus wearing it down and depositing the remnants on your plug. That's the best case scenario.

I don't think I have to tell you what the worst case scenario is. Sorry to be the harbinger of doom, but.....

Let us know what you find out. :cert:

Sweet 90 02-25-2012 1:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montehall (Post 590318)
not at all

but ther are some people over there that I have met and would like thier input as well.

Oh sorry man, I didn't realize you were talking about CF. I took it that you were talking about the Barn. My apologies bro:cert:

PLRX 02-25-2012 1:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montehall (Post 590318)
not at all

If you are looking for The One to tell you "thats normal" you may be on denial.

The minimum would be to do a compression check and have your oil analyzed.

Blackstone Labs

Blackstone sends out free kits for you to send a sample of your oil and you get the results back.

RedLS1GTO 02-25-2012 4:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by PLRX (Post 590323)
The minimum would be to do a compression check and have your oil analyzed.

Blackstone Labs

Blackstone sends out free kits for you to send a sample of your oil and you get the results back.

I was just going to say the same thing... it is amazing what these guys can find.

At minimum I'd agree with Friz and say pull the head and see what you find. With that many shavings in a single cylinder it will probably be pretty evident.

Have you looked in your oil to see if you are getting obvious shavings out of the bottom end as well?

Montehall 02-25-2012 4:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO (Post 590374)
I was just going to say the same thing... it is amazing what these guys can find.

At minimum I'd agree with Friz and say pull the head and see what you find. With that many shavings in a single cylinder it will probably be pretty evident.

Have you looked in your oil to see if you are getting obvious shavings out of the bottom end as well?

The oil still looks brand new... Its only 200 miles old, though

nutz4c4 02-25-2012 4:53pm

Gotta agree with Taurus and Friz...Looks like piston damage from running lean...

Montehall 02-25-2012 5:18pm

So would a compression test be worth anything?

nutz4c4 02-25-2012 5:46pm

Wouldn't hurt but the results could be misleadeing...You said there is only 200 hundred miles on the new motor right?

Montehall 02-25-2012 5:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutz4c4 (Post 590426)
Wouldn't hurt but the results could be misleadeing...You said there is only 200 hundred miles on the new motor right?

What? No... The oil is 200 miles old, the engine is 100k

nutz4c4 02-25-2012 5:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montehall (Post 590428)
What? No... The oil is 200 miles old, the engine is 100k

OK maybe I missed something ....The picture of the plug is still indicitive of a lean condition... Sorry but the shavings are possibly pieces of the piston top.
Best to pull the heads and have a look or use a borescope....

mike100 02-25-2012 6:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutz4c4 (Post 590432)
OK maybe I missed something ....The picture of the plug is still indicitive of a lean condition... Sorry but the shavings are possibly pieces of the piston top.
Best to pull the heads and have a look or use a borescope....

Or you could just wait for it to break...much easier.

could be valve train bits coming down the valve guide...does it burn a lot of oil?

Montehall 02-25-2012 7:07pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike100 (Post 590500)
Or you could just wait for it to break...much easier.

could be valve train bits coming down the valve guide...does it burn a lot of oil?

dunno... I've only put about 200 miles in it.

Taurus 02-25-2012 7:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montehall (Post 590404)
So would a compression test be worth anything?

That's really only going to tell you if the rings are good. I'm betting it's a piston issue, compression test won't tell you anything about that. If it were rings you would be seeing oil on the plug and smoke out the exhaust. It's a piston.