The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Dash Cams (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118264)

StaticCling 12-25-2018 9:31am

Dash Cams

Do any of ya'll run a Dash Cam? I'm kind of curious about it...

69camfrk 12-25-2018 9:56am

Not currently, but want a Garmin 55.:seasix:

04 commemorative 12-25-2018 11:35am

copcam.com

09CTSV 12-25-2018 12:10pm

I use the Blackvue. I have it hard wired into the fuse box. Works great takes a great picture.

Mike Mercury 12-25-2018 12:37pm

there's an active discussion over at the other place:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html

seems the Owl Cam is popular:
https://owlcam.com/

Quote:

I purchased and reviewed a half dozen dashcams for a magazine --- including Cobra 820, a Uniden, two no-names, and a software app for Iphone...

TURN off the g-force sensor as a pothole or rough road will make it stop recording. Turn on auto-record. Record voice so you can SPEAK the license plate of the person who hit you. Even 1080P HD isn't enough resolution to read a license plate. I tested it by getting within 5 feet of a parked car, even on a unit with a glass lens!

Cybercowboy 12-25-2018 2:26pm

I have dashcams running in both of our vehicles for a couple of years now. Nothing special, just a decent chinesium wide-angle cam that's just front facing. They do the job.

I'm pretty sure mine shows license plate numbers just fine from 10 feet away or so, but it's been awhile since I actually looked at what is recorded. A 32 GB chip gives about 5 hours of HD recording w/audio on a loop.

09CTSV 12-25-2018 3:35pm

Just read some interesting things with the Owl camera. Subscription is $99 per year with 60 credits. If you view a live shot, 1 credit a minute, recorded view, 1 credit a minute. An additional 60 credits is $5. It would add up pretty quickly for viewing or monitoring. Each time you say Ok Presto to record to your phone, 1 credit 1 minute.
I like the Blackvue, I can read license plates just fine and the picture quality is very good. You can do a could based subscription where it will track where you are and your wife can check up on you. Went to Lowe's hey??

simpleman68 12-26-2018 8:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1654157)
I use the Blackvue. I have it hard wired into the fuse box. Works great takes a great picture.

Another user of Blackvue. Forget the model but it's their flagship model with front and rear cameras.
Thing has been great when I use it but never got around to mounting the rear camera.

Night vision is excellent and audio is pretty good.
Access with the phone app is really cool with a fairly intuitive GUI.
Scott

Mike Mercury 12-26-2018 11:34am

The Blackview looks like a good choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 09CTSV (Post 1654162)
Just read some interesting things with the Owl camera. Subscription is $99 per year with 60 credits. If you view a live shot, 1 credit a minute, recorded view, 1 credit a minute. An additional 60 credits is $5. It would add up pretty quickly for viewing or monitoring. Each time you say Ok Presto to record to your phone, 1 credit 1 minute.

isn't that if you opt for the cloud upload service?

I am looking for a dash cam that only locally records in the unit itself (no monthly fees).

bsmith 12-26-2018 2:16pm

I bought a Rexing V1 from amazon and I'm happy with it.
I hardwired it and it isn't visible from the driver seat.
It was in the car when I let a nephew take the Camaro to prom last spring.:lol:

09CTSV 12-27-2018 6:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1654225)
The Blackview looks like a good choice.

isn't that if you opt for the cloud upload service?

I am looking for a dash cam that only locally records in the unit itself (no monthly fees).

You don't have to use the cloud service with the Blackvue. I can either download it to the phone or pull the SD card, have a 128GB card, and read it that way as well. I picked the Blackvue because it had the largest capacity SD card and also the reviews. It does have great low light recording and if you opt for the cloud it can be tracked where the vehicle is in real time. I thought about doing that but figured the wife would drop a Klinker if she sees some of the "Events" I do.
:):)

04 commemorative 12-27-2018 6:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 1654235)
I bought a Rexing V1 from amazon and I'm happy with it.
I hardwired it and it isn't visible from the driver seat.
It was in the car when I let a nephew take the Camaro to prom last spring.:lol:

and.......:leaving::lol:

bsmith 12-27-2018 6:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1654325)
and.......:leaving::lol:

Nothing major, just some funny comments from him.
He knew it was there, but completely forgot about it. :lol:
He was nervous... But still got up to about 90 on a narrow county road.
Unsure of whether he'll be taking it for his senior prom...

BADRACR1 12-28-2018 12:16am

Got one about a year ago. Still haven't put it in...

Wathen1955 12-28-2018 2:35am

I've been using one now for couple of years. I got one due to where I have to drive to get on a train. It's very close to a college with lots of students riding bikes who don't obey traffic laws.

78SA 12-31-2018 10:52pm

I use one. It came in handy when the guy ran me into the guardrail on the way to work one morning. His insurance company said it's obvious the guy was at fault.

Bill 12-31-2018 11:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsmith (Post 1654326)
Nothing major, just some funny comments from him.
He knew it was there, but completely forgot about it. :lol:
He was nervous... But still got up to about 90 on a narrow county road.
Unsure of whether he'll be taking it for his senior prom...

90? That's a rookie number. Gotta pump that number up!

VatorMan 01-01-2019 8:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 78SA (Post 1654729)
I use one. It came in handy when the guy ran me into the guardrail on the way to work one morning. His insurance company said it's obvious the guy was at fault.

:iagree: Asian female ran into me on the highway. She said she couldn’t see my Dually crew cab truck and 24 ft trailer. She suddenly forgot how to speak English when the cops showed up. Showed the LEO the video and she got 2 tickets.

Never drive without a dashcam.

Sea Six 01-01-2019 8:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1654742)
:iagree: Asian female ran into me on the highway. She said she couldn’t see my Dually crew cab truck and 24 ft trailer. She suddenly forgot how to speak English when the cops showed up. Showed the LEO the video and she got 2 tickets.

Never drive without a dashcam.

Nice!