The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   World's worst airport? - LAX (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119548)

DAB 06-12-2019 1:39pm

World's worst airport? - LAX

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...es/1421927001/

most large ones suck, to varying degrees.

DFW - stupid layout
O'Hare - just busy

Mike Mercury 06-12-2019 1:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1673346)
O'Hare

Laguardia

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D2IIZ2jW0AAHqP9.jpg

StaticCling 06-12-2019 2:01pm

As a resident of Los Angeles, I can attest to the fact that LAX is an absolute cluster-****.

By contrast though, SFO is actually pretty good. :island14:

Cybercowboy 06-12-2019 2:12pm

Atlanta doesn't have much to recommend itself either. I hate the large airports where you have to transport via tram/train at some point. I've missed a flight at DFW before when my tram came to a stop and we just had to sit there for like 45 minutes.

Datawiz 06-12-2019 2:21pm

EWR usually tops these lists. Of course, this is the shithole I fly into every other week.

StaticCling 06-12-2019 2:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1673352)
Atlanta doesn't have much to recommend itself either. I hate the large airports where you have to transport via tram/train at some point. I've missed a flight at DFW before when my tram came to a stop and we just had to sit there for like 45 minutes.

Yeah, that airport sucks. I don't like it at all.

Airports I like:
Salt Lake City
Buffalo
Newport News
San Francisco (believe it or not...it does have a rail thingy though)

Rental car return at San Antonio is fuggin weird. I can't remember exactly how it goes, but I remember it was stupid.

Looking forward to seeing how Kansas City (MCI) is when they get the new terminal completed, right now that airport is extremely dated and depressing.

Dan Dlabay 06-12-2019 2:37pm

When me and my wife fly into California we fly to Santa Anna John Wayne airport. It cost a little more but it is worth it not to put up with LAX. We only use LAX to change planes when we go to S.E. Asia. For a large airport Singapore is nice.:cert:

StaticCling 06-12-2019 2:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Dlabay (Post 1673355)
When me and my wife fly into California we fly to Santa Anna John Wayne airport. It cost a little more but it is worth it not to put up with LAX. We only use LAX to change planes when we go to S.E. Asia. For a large airport Singapore is nice.:cert:

Burbank is good as well. It's quick and easy...at least if you are picking a person up.

Last time I took my wife to LAX was on a Sunday night at around 11PM. Departures level was JAMMED. Took me 45 minutes to drive through the terminal after I dropped her off. I was driving a stick too. That sucked balls. :ohnoes:

LAX might get a little bit better once they have the new International Terminal built, but right now it's pathetic.

99 pewtercoupe 06-12-2019 2:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1673354)
Yeah, that airport sucks. I don't like it at all.

Airports I like:
Salt Lake City
Buffalo
Newport News
San Francisco (believe it or not...it does have a rail thingy though)

Rental car return at San Antonio is fuggin weird. I can't remember exactly how it goes, but I remember it was stupid.

Looking forward to seeing how Kansas City (MCI) is when they get the new terminal completed, right now that airport is extremely dated and depressing.

Kansas City (MCI) is one weird airport. They have multiple areas that may be only half a dozen gates that is where you clear TSA. So once you have cleared TSA you may not have access to a restaurant or bar, just a food kiosk. I used to fly in there regularly but now that I am retired, not so much.

Cybercowboy 06-12-2019 3:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1673354)

It really is. Last time I flew from there it was amazing that you pretty much couldn't even get a cup of coffee or something beyond a vending machine item to eat once you made it through security. SLC airport is much improved from what it was just 15 years ago. Oakland has a terrible rental car situation too, and Phoenix isn't much better really.

StaticCling 06-12-2019 3:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1673357)
Kansas City (MCI) is one weird airport. They have multiple areas that may be only half a dozen gates that is where you clear TSA. So once you have cleared TSA you may not have access to a restaurant or bar, just a food kiosk. I used to fly in there regularly but now that I am retired, not so much.

Yeah, it was designed well before the post 9-11-01 "improvements" and it was just poorly situated to accommodate those things. It's a product of the 1970's, and it shows.

Should be better in a few years though.

Cybercowboy 06-12-2019 3:26pm

I've been to O'Hare before when it was so busy that even though I had a 5 hour layover, it took me two hours to even get inside a bar/restaurant to get something to eat and drink. Lots of pissed off people that day.

boracayjohnny 06-12-2019 4:33pm

So the best and worst is in L-A? Does the writer live in L-A? I mean, there are airports other than in L-A. Manila for worst quickly comes to mind. Frankfurt for best is huge but easy to get around for me. It also has a sit down Chinese restaurant, a grocery store, and a train station just for three quick examples of variety and convenience.

R.I.B.S. 06-12-2019 4:33pm

You should put MNL on the lists....It has 4 terminals dating back to the 40's(WWII era) and a couple of shuttle busses to transfer you from 1 terminal to another....

:dance:

99 pewtercoupe 06-12-2019 4:48pm

I have been able to avoid it throughout my career but I have seen multiple surveys that rate LGA as the worst airport in th country.

snide 06-12-2019 9:47pm

Flew out of IAH today. Terminal A was easy, peasy, as it is relatively small. Had to change plans at CLT, which is a cluster ****.

Mike Mercury 06-13-2019 7:57am

https://img.memecdn.com/bad-luck-bri...t_o_326411.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/IN...UoYb3icTj9gGdb

https://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Th...49_5216901.jpg

Nox 06-13-2019 9:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinaski (Post 1673356)
Burbank is good as well. It's quick and easy...at least if you are picking a person up.

Last time I took my wife to LAX was on a Sunday night at around 11PM. Departures level was JAMMED. Took me 45 minutes to drive through the terminal after I dropped her off. I was driving a stick too. That sucked balls. :ohnoes:

LAX might get a little bit better once they have the new International Terminal built, but right now it's pathetic.

You’re doing it wrong. I try and never drive into LAX. I either take the Van Nuys Shuttle or an Uber from an offsite parking facility. I wouldn’t allow anyone to either drop me off or pick me up directly at LAX. I try and direct them to the Van Nuys Flyaway instead and pick them up there.

StaticCling 06-13-2019 9:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1673417)
You’re doing it wrong. I try and never drive into LAX. I either take the Van Nuys Shuttle or an Uber from an offsite parking facility. I wouldn’t allow anyone to either drop me off or pick me up directly at LAX. I try and direct them to the Van Nuys Flyaway instead and pick them up there.

We use the Flyaway quite a bit. I just elected to take Heather down to the airport once earlier this year to spend a little time with her because I wouldn't be seeing her for a week. :)

After the last fiasco, it's Flyaway only. :Jeff '79:

I do have a buddy with a Helicopter Hmmm.

mrvette 06-13-2019 9:26am

about 4 years ago, flipped out to see my first Grandson out in Ca. so Ohairy for a conn flight, 2 hrs layover to Reno landing at midnight or so.....so the Ohairy apt of course told me the rong CONNcourse to pick up the Conn flight.....so I was at end of either one, next to each other....look out and see the plane at the other end of the other Conncourse.....SO of COURSE I had to carry my duffle bag of junk about a mile down to center terminal, over to other walkway, and of COURSE the end of that one.....bastards....I waited another few minits to call about the plane not being there, I just about made the effing flight as it was,.....WTF!! I was tired and PISSED having to carry my ~40 lbs overloaded duffle all that way......

never again, no more harey airports for THIS man......

:issues::issues::issues::issues::issues::issues::issues::issues::issues::issues: