The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Need home appliance advise. (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117474)

Olustee bus 10-09-2018 4:37am

Need home appliance advise.

I have a 12 year old dryer and it will not work. Makes no sound. I am going to check lint hose to make sure it is not blocked.of not, should I call a repairman or just get another one. Repairing it myself is difficult because i have no help moving it out to a workspace.

Sea Six 10-09-2018 4:45am

Any indication it has power and a working control board? Lights?

You sure the breaker is on?

Check the voltage. Make sure it hasn't lost a neutral.

VetteBoy1979 10-09-2018 5:16am

Is it analog or digital? What is the model? There are many videos online for appliances and most likely you’ll be able to diagnose the issue and find resolution.

Cybercowboy 10-09-2018 7:41am

Recently had to replace the heating element in our electric dryer. It's about the same age. If your dryer is just "dead" then it's probably just something in the main power circuit, shouldn't be hard to have someone come out and look at it. If you have a place that sells higher-end appliances and specializes in working with contractors (in other words, not Lowes Depot or Worst Buy) call them and ask them to recommend a service guy for the brand of dryer you have.

Also note that if it is a Korean-made brand, good luck.

Datawiz 10-09-2018 8:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VetteBoy1979 (Post 1645626)
Is it analog or digital? What is the model? There are many videos online for appliances and most likely you’ll be able to diagnose the issue and find resolution.

I agree. Our Washer/Dryer set is 18 years old and I've fixed both MANY times. They are both extremely easy to work on and understand and the videos out there are great.

Rob 10-09-2018 9:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1645632)
Also note that if it is a Korean-made brand, good luck.

:iagree: I have fixed a few Korean made (lg) appliances and troubleshooting is a pita but if you have patience and time, they are cheap to fix on your own

Mike Mercury 10-09-2018 9:52am

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/29/a5...a6330f234a.jpg

https://www.ahs.com/static-srvm/ahs/...ne_600x400.jpg

https://i1.wp.com/lekememes.co/wp-co...80%2C410&ssl=1

https://img.memecdn.com/that-kid-cam...e_o_963211.gif

Black94lt1 10-10-2018 1:49am

Repairclinic.com is s good source for parts and also troubleshooting tips

carlton_fritz 10-10-2018 4:05am

If getting a new one, get it soon. There is a shortage of capacitors worldwide and prices of anything that uses them will go up. Our work has slowed due to this shortage.

Wathen1955 10-10-2018 2:23pm

Don't buy a Samsung appliance. We bought a brand new frig that lasted for only 2 years. The ice maker went out, and the fan started to make lots of noise. We called Samsung and they sent out a guy to fix it, but the fix only lasted for a month and the same issue continued with the ice maker: it will freeze over.

Next is the Samsung washer. Again, purchased brand new. Then we heard about some of them where the top explodes off. We called Samsung and they fixed it by replacing the plastic with additional metal fasteners.

Thunder22 10-10-2018 3:15pm

before getting a new one, google the problem with the model name/# and see if there's an easy fix first. I fixed my fridge that way about 2 months ago, saved me a ton of money.

Antfarmer2 10-14-2018 9:53am

Most likely an easy fix. With more info you might get more help. The best advice I can give now is there are alot of very sharp edges everywhere once you get inside. :seasix::cert::seasix:

For all wash your filter with dawn or other dish soap. Soap and dryer sheets will block the airflow. This will make your dryer less efficient and dangerous. Don't believe me see how it will hold water before and after.:barnbabe:

Olustee bus 10-14-2018 10:44am

So, I go to test the door switch which is easy. The instructions say put meter probe on one side and the other on the other side. Ok.

There are three damn wires!

mrvette 10-14-2018 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antfarmer2 (Post 1646346)
Most likely an easy fix. With more info you might get more help. The best advice I can give now is there are alot of very sharp edges everywhere once you get inside. :seasix::cert::seasix:

For all wash your filter with dawn or other dish soap. Soap and dryer sheets will block the airflow. This will make your dryer less efficient and dangerous. Don't believe me see how it will hold water before and after.:barnbabe:

Thanks I try washing filter n the d/w after I rise the lint off.....

mentioned to wife what you said about the dryer sheets and she said it's because of static electric shock, which if funny as hell, when it gets lower humidity here, for some odd reason she gets bit, even getting in/out of her CAR, walks across the room and touches me, and get a shock that she is super sensitive about....she uses the dryer sheets to stop that static from sticking the clothes together as well as lessen her getting bit.....funny as hell, TO ME ANYWAY, on account of I so used to electric shock over the decades, I don't even notice it....so if it happens, I"m not aware of it....weird...so we had a good laugh over it.....

:rofl:

Sea Six 10-14-2018 11:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olustee bus (Post 1646362)

It's because of the metric system.

Antfarmer2 10-14-2018 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olustee bus (Post 1646362)
So, I go to test the door switch which is easy. The instructions say put meter probe on one side and the other on the other side. Ok.

Then yours has a light for the dryer. :seasix:

Antfarmer2 10-14-2018 11:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrvette (Post 1646369)
Thanks I try washing filter n the d/w after I rise the lint off.....

mentioned to wife what you said about the dryer sheets and she said it's because of static electric shock, which if funny as hell, when it gets lower humidity here, for some odd reason she gets bit, even getting in/out of her CAR, walks across the room and touches me, and get a shock that she is super sensitive about....she uses the dryer sheets to stop that static from sticking the clothes together as well as lessen her getting bit.....funny as hell, TO ME ANYWAY, on account of I so used to electric shock over the decades, I don't even notice it....so if it happens, I"m not aware of it....weird...so we had a good laugh over it.....

:rofl:

No just wash it by hand. Not sure what kind of ride the DW would give it. :issues: