The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Sperm Donors (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118046)

04 commemorative 12-05-2018 1:10pm

Sperm Donors

Are now being found out who they are because of these DNA testing kits :willy:
People are finding they have half sisters or brothers and donors are being contacted as possible fathers :eek:......bet there will be a drop in donors soon.
I donate platelets and am fine with that :thumbs:

Mike Mercury 12-05-2018 2:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1651733)
donors are being contacted as possible fathers :eek:.....

for what... to pay child support?

Sea Six 12-05-2018 3:24pm

Does a sperm donor to a sperm bank have any parental responsibility if they are found out?

mrvette 12-05-2018 3:35pm

Naaaah, Sperm Donors are what women around age 30+ are looking for in a husband, soon as that's done they drive the hubby away.....

common as green grass these daze......

:issues:

Antfarmer2 12-05-2018 5:31pm

1 Attachment(s)
Making money hand over fist. :dance:

Stangkiller 12-05-2018 6:59pm

A former co-worker discovered they were conceived via donor, 5+ other siblings, and eventually the donor, because of one of those dna tests/sites. The Donor turned out to be a very wealthy local. Happy story though, they wanted nothing from the donor but have become close friends anyways.

04 commemorative 12-05-2018 7:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangkiller (Post 1651768)
A former co-worker discovered they were conceived via donor, 5+ other siblings, and eventually the donor, because of one of those dna tests/sites. The Donor turned out to be a very wealthy local. Happy story though, they wanted nothing from the donor but have become close friends anyways.

That's what I read in the paper...someone did the DNA and found out they had a half sister or brother....asked mom & dad and they said it was wrong....they did a different one with same results ! Not the sibling wants to meet and who knows where that will go.

bizaro 12-07-2018 2:50pm

I'd donate everyday if it came with a free tug..

Bill 12-07-2018 4:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizaro (Post 1651949)
I'd donate everyday if it came with a free tug..

If it's anything like donating blood, the nurse gets you set up and then you gently squeeze your balls until you've made your donation.

:dance:

SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 12-07-2018 4:09pm

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 21023

Barn Babe 12-10-2018 12:10pm

I don't know anything about these tests. Can they really tell you individual names of people you are related to by blood? That's kind of scary.

MrPeabody 12-10-2018 12:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barn Babe (Post 1652235)
I don't know anything about these tests. Can they really tell you individual names of people you are related to by blood? That's kind of scary.

They don't give out names, they facilitate you contacting them anonymously, sort of like PMs here. Then you can decide on identifying yourself and trading contact information if you wish. At least that's how Ancestry.com works.

Barn Babe 12-10-2018 12:27pm

It's crazy that it can even narrow it down that much. I'm glad I don't have any "surprises" lurking out there...

...what about the conspiracy theory folks, this has got to have their heads exploding! :willy:

markids77 12-10-2018 1:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barn Babe (Post 1652238)
It's crazy that it can even narrow it down that much. I'm glad I don't have any "surprises" lurking out there...

...what about the conspiracy theory folks, this has got to have their heads exploding! :willy:

Many people don't fully understand the complete ramifications of giving their genetic identity to a for profit, loosely monitored corporation with pretty small government oversight. Yes, they can link any individual in their database to any other family member no matter how distantly removed. And give predictions about presenting with genetically determined disease. And hazard a guess about the person's potential longevity.... and much much more.

I am astounded by the seeming lack of common sense caution the general public displays over surrendering their "blueprint" on the open market just because they might be curious about the place their ancestors are from.

MrPeabody 12-10-2018 1:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1652244)
Many people don't fully understand the complete ramifications of giving their genetic identity to a for profit, loosely monitored corporation with pretty small government oversight. Yes, they can link any individual in their database to any other family member no matter how distantly removed. And give predictions about presenting with genetically determined disease. And hazard a guess about the person's potential longevity.... and much much more.

I am astounded by the seeming lack of common sense caution the general public displays over surrendering their "blueprint" on the open market just because they might be curious about the place their ancestors are from.

The other side of the coin is knowing more about what ailments and diseases your ancestors died from can go a long way in managing your own health care. This is especially true for people who were adopted. I knew my ancestry pretty well before DNA, but every year at my annual physical my doctor asks me questions about my ancestors and siblings. This info can help, for instance in a case where several of your ancestors had colon cancer at, say, age 40. This would guide a decision to start colonoscopies at a much younger age than the norm. By the way, Ancestry does not give out medical information. You would find this info yourself by contacting relatives and getting information from them, or doing other public records searches on your own.

I don't know about other places, but Ancestry.com does not put your information "on the market" and will destroy such information at your request anytime.

04 commemorative 12-10-2018 3:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by markids77 (Post 1652244)

Finally someone that thinks like I do.....3 years ago my daughter gave my wife and I these and everyone was pissed at me because I refused to do it....tough crap....it's still sitting up in my room......sorry she paid $99.00 for it but I knew my Great Grandmother......I know enough about me so there is no need for more info on my part :seasix:

mrvette 12-10-2018 3:48pm

Some one's folks came from XYZ.....so what?? why is/would it be a secret....and just that would folks do with that info to hurt someone??

to me, it's basically useless information.....

:dance: