The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   I'm Like A Little Kid Again....... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121321)

Norm 01-14-2020 10:01pm

I'm Like A Little Kid Again.......

10 Attachment(s)
.......I've been putting this off since I moved from Maryshitland 10 years ago. Actually I shouldn't say that, it is a beautiful state, the politics, taxes, and the ridiculous rules is what turn's it into shit.

Anyhow, I've been collecting a few G scale trains over the past 20 years, I thought I'd get my ass in gear and start. Was originally going to put an outside train garden, but lost interest.

So now going to hang a dual track setup from the garage ceiling, going to do it from scratch vs. pre-hanging stuff. Having fun, but slow work for me. Unpainted hanger is the prototype, stained and painted one is the one I settled on. Only about 30 more to do

Track layout is just about 40' x 20'. This should keep me busy until April.:D

RMVette 01-14-2020 10:08pm

Nice! Keep posting pictures of your progress!

I still have mine and my brother's O scale (I think that's it, has the center rail) Lionel train from the '50's in the attic. He wants me to sell it but I can't, too sentimental for me. I set it up a few years ago and my kids were like..."is that it, that's all it does is go on the track"? Oh well....

MrPeabody 01-14-2020 10:15pm

There's a bar and grill type restaurant in our town that had trains like that hanging from the ceiling. Old building with very high ceilings. It was fun watching them while you eat.

The owner retired and sold the business and he took the trains with him. I do miss them.

MadInNc 01-14-2020 10:20pm

Started with an LGB set for Xmas 25 years ago. Still set it up now for G-kids

Just looked for tracks, loco etc on Google- holy shit that stuff got $$$$

Norm 01-14-2020 10:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPeabody (Post 1716619)
There's a bar and grill type restaurant in our town that had trains like that hanging from the ceiling. Old building with very high ceilings. It was fun watching them while you eat.

The owner retired and sold the business and he took the trains with him. I do miss them.

The Fisherman's Inn (kind of fancy with really good seafood) on Kent Island has a ceiling set-up of G scale, runs through tunnels into two large dinning areas, just neat to watch.

BADRACR1 01-14-2020 10:29pm

Used to be a place here (Country Place) that had one. I liked it.

Norm 01-14-2020 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadInNc (Post 1716622)
Started with an LGB set for Xmas 25 years ago. Still set it up now for G-kids

Just looked for tracks, loco etc on Google- holy shit that stuff got $$$$

You got that right, cost of track is ridiculous. I have several sets of Acela style bullets trains, they are fast. Since I will not have guard rails, I will really have to gradually do graduated speed test runs once set up.

Ran across a guy dismantling his outside garden, bought all his track, all angles, lengths, curves for $300. That's about $1500 worth of track.

higgyburners 01-15-2020 12:22am

sweet keep us posted

mrvette 01-15-2020 2:23am

NEAT man, LOVE IT!!!! After the first divorce, I moved into my own high rise apt. and had rescued my old Lionel GG1 loco from my sister's trash can, quite by chance, I had given my old trains to my nephew many year previously....so it was on a shelf in the apt. One sunday AM I"m reading the paper and listening to jazz, and there was a add in the classified for Lionel trains for sale, it was approaching Xmas time.....so I give the guy a call, and flip over to his place...go down in the large basement, and I turned into a little kid again....he just sat on the stairs and watched/listened as apparently I was not the first guy to just fall over and gasp at the sheer SIZE of his collection, every damn thing Lionel ever put in a catalogue.......

SO by the time I met the ex/kids mom I had TWO 4x8 sheets of plywood on 2x4 framing in the living room of my apt. on the 11th floor, and a set running all around the living room rugs too......

rebuilt the setup in the townhouse basement, and yet again in the single car garage of the house kids were born in.....so that was 40 years ago....

but after the divorce the trains followed me to the 3 car garage in my back yard of my own place....where the kids and I built it up 11' wide down to 8' at the side door for walking/watching/controlling space, and it was 22' long....5 trains at once, 3 levels, all Lionel O gauge, and mainline was Gargraves track that looks like what you have there, except for scale of course......so in this hobby group I met up with a circle of a dozen friends with similar setups, and even a neighbor with his daughter same age as mine, he was into it too.....we had train meets about every 3 months at alternate houses.....

but when my arthritis got much worse, decided to sell house, my kids being early teens and into scouting/sailing/camping/boating/etc....time to sell the trains, turned out I sold at the high point of the market, got lucky and got my $$$$ back outta them...about 5-6 grand at the time....

a few of the guys in the group/club had trains running around the ceilings of the party rooms, one guy had 3 at once, and a friend who owns an old stone flower mill on a creek between Md, and W. Va. has many Lionels running around the ceiling in the bar/party area......

so YEH, that hobby goes back a few decades with me.....:D:D:lol::kimblair:

Olustee bus 01-15-2020 5:09am

Look forward to seeing progress. Be careful on that scaffold.

69camfrk 01-15-2020 6:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RMVette (Post 1716612)
Nice! Keep posting pictures of your progress!

I still have mine and my brother's O scale (I think that's it, has the center rail) Lionel train from the '50's in the attic. He wants me to sell it but I can't, too sentimental for me. I set it up a few years ago and my kids were like..."is that it, that's all it does is go on the track"? Oh well....

I remember when I was a kid, and had a similar train set (actually still have it) but I watched a John Wayne movie where they greased the train tracks so the train couldn't pull the hill. First thing you know, I was in the garage, found some bearing grease and fixed my track right up. It would spin like a mofo, and I thought it was grand.:seasix:

Brubie 01-15-2020 6:28am

Looking good Norm. Yeah without guard rails you don’t want any derailments at that height and what’s parked under it. 🙄

BOTY 01-15-2020 1:21pm

I was never into trains, but I think they are cool. I can also appreciate the dedication one needs for that type of set-up. :hurray:

Datawiz 01-15-2020 1:23pm

Looking forward to the video of 2 trains colliding and falling onto your Corvette. :lol:

BOTY 01-15-2020 1:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1716842)
Looking forward to the video of 2 trains colliding and falling onto your Corvette. :lol:

Bad juju man. :D

mrvette 01-15-2020 1:25pm

Quote:

That happen to ME, with my luck it be a 5344 J1e.......

:sadangel:

dvarapala 01-15-2020 2:16pm

Quote:

DJ_Critterus 01-15-2020 3:41pm

Are the tracks going to run right through Rock Ridge?

mrvette 01-15-2020 4:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dvarapala (Post 1716859)

OH, no big deal, those were American Flyer trains......

:issues:

Old Ben 01-15-2020 4:39pm

3 Attachment(s)
Nice project OP. I prefer HO scale for longer trains in my 11' by 36' train room.

Attachment 37069

Attachment 37070

Attachment 37071