The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   USPS Shake My Head and Say, WTF? Thread (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123018)

Bill 07-09-2020 9:52am

USPS Shake My Head and Say, WTF? Thread

So prior to the Wu flu and Marxist cultural revolution, I sent off for a new passport, since my old one was expired, and after 5 years of being expired, you have to go through the whole rigamarole of applying for a new one, vs. the easier process of renewing. OK.

So after months, I get an e-mail, you passport and passport card are on their way, to be delivered separately, and supposed to arrive one day apart. I get the passport card in the mailbox, no problem. Next day, no passport. Day after that, no passport. I'm getting worried. Happen to look at the front porch, and there's my passport, in its small 'priority mail' envelope. Any porch pirate could have taken it. Why wasn't it just put in my locked mailbox?

The mailman (well, mail lady) had to take extra time to put it on my front porch when it would have been easier and much more secure to just put it in with my other mail....in the locked mail box.

I'm not mad, I got it safely, no harm no foul, I just don't understand the thought process there. Had to work harder, but didn't knock and hand deliver it.

LilRedCorvette 07-09-2020 10:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1781744)
So prior to the Wu flu and Marxist cultural revolution, I sent off for a new passport, since my old one was expired, and after 5 years of being expired, you have to go through the whole rigamarole of applying for a new one, vs. the easier process of renewing. OK.

So after months, I get an e-mail, you passport and passport card are on their way, to be delivered separately, and supposed to arrive one day apart. I get the passport card in the mailbox, no problem. Next day, no passport. Day after that, no passport. I'm getting worried. Happen to look at the front porch, and there's my passport, in its small 'priority mail' envelope. Any porch pirate could have taken it. Why wasn't it just put in my locked mailbox?

The mailman (well, mail lady) had to take extra time to put it on my front porch when it would have been easier and much more secure to just put it in with my other mail....in the locked mail box.

I'm not mad, I got it safely, no harm no foul, I just don't understand the thought process there. Had to work harder, but didn't knock and hand deliver it.

It’s the USPS...there was none. :nonod: Civil servant, they can’t get fired, so they simply DGAF. :spdchk:

Have similar issues in our neighborhood, wish we could get a different mail carrier. :ack:

Bill 07-09-2020 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilRedCorvette (Post 1781755)
It’s the USPS...there was none. :nonod: They can’t get fired, so they simply DGAF. :spdchk:

I don't want anyone fired or disciplined. I'm not mad. Everything worked out fine in the end. I just want to understand the policy that led to this. Is 'priority mail' that requires no signature required to be put on the doorstep? I get that most priority mail would be parcels that won't fit in a mailbox, but this one was a small envelope that easily would have fit in the mailbox.

VITE1 07-09-2020 11:24am

I feel your pain. I found out my Global entry/TSA pre had lapsed last June. I put in a new application In Early September. I i checked almost daily, as they request, for updates. In February they said no other applications could be processed. In early June They sent me a message saying I could apply for my interview. First available slot was early August. Get confirmation. Now it's postponed until October.

And people wonder why I don't want the government taking over HC.

z06psi 07-09-2020 12:21pm

Is this a lib free thread?

Mike Mercury 07-09-2020 12:39pm

https://f001.backblazeb2.com/file/cb...16a38a6b48.jpg

https://www.cartoonistgroup.com/prop...3b17e35766.jpg

LilRedCorvette 07-09-2020 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1781760)
I don't want anyone fired or disciplined. I'm not mad. Everything worked out fine in the end. I just want to understand the policy that led to this. Is 'priority mail' that requires no signature required to be put on the doorstep? I get that most priority mail would be parcels that won't fit in a mailbox, but this one was a small envelope that easily would have fit in the mailbox.

I didn’t say you did. You’re putting way more thought into this than the USPS does is all I’m saying. :shrug: :Jeff '79:

Will 07-09-2020 1:30pm

Our mailman was awesome. He just retired. He worked an extra long shift his last day so he could stop and tell everyone who was friendly with him that he was retiring.

The wife of our lawn-guy, who usually delivered our street's mail only on weekends, has been filling in and she's great too.

I'm worried about ending up with someone crummy on a permanent basis. BUT it seems like the crummy employees are usually working customer service at the actual post office. We'll see.

Rodnok1 07-09-2020 2:39pm

At my friend's house the one fill in mailman is a complete retard and I've told him a dozen times that to his face. He delivers to wrong street and addresses. Everyone knows the idiot and if he's on the route your shit ain't getting delivered. I've gone to post office a dozen times with lists over him and they know exactly who the fuk up is but never get rid of him.
This post office is were they send the idiots that can't cut it elsewhere I've been told as the regular guy isn't a hell of a lot better.

At home my local place is awesome, maybe twice I've had something delayed a day or two from miss routing.

dvarapala 07-09-2020 3:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will (Post 1781827)
Our mailman was awesome. He just retired. He worked an extra long shift his last day so he could stop and tell everyone who was friendly with him that he was retiring.

The wife of our lawn-guy, who usually delivered our street's mail only on weekends, has been filling in and she's great too.

I'm worried about ending up with someone crummy on a permanent basis. We'll see.

Around here they seem to have a different letter carrier on a day-to-day basis. It's like they're all temp workers or otherwise being shifted around.

Sadly this may be your future. :shrug: