The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mid-Atlantic Regional Events/Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Sign Up thread for Peninsula H4H Rally March 14 (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2003)

YorkL8apex 02-22-2010 8:02pm

When: Sunday March 14 1:00pm Updated

Where: 12500 Jefferson Ave Newport News (Ferguson Parking Lot)

What: Habitat for Humanity Road Rally and Peninsula Tour

A Few Details:

- Cost $20 (all will go to Habitat for Humanity, Peninsula Chapter)
- Plan on about a 2 hour driving tour plus Restaurant time
- General route through back roads to Yorktown, across the Colonial Parkway to the Jamestown area, run some back roads west of Williamsburg.
- End at a restaurant/bar in the Williamsburg area for gag prizes and rally stories

- General Format: Staggered timed start, Rally directions issued to each team WITHOUT street names requiring you to observe and/or record things on the route, count different things like fire stations, 7-11's, fire hydrants, landmarks, and/or answer word puzzles to know where to turn, etc.
- Timed event with penalties for not answering questions about the route but obeying traffic laws is HIGHLY recommended
- A driver and navigator is required, its not possible to drive safely and do all the things required of a navigator.

zz4vetteguy 02-22-2010 11:05pm

If it is on a Saturday, and I can get a navigator, count me in.

tomurphjr 02-26-2010 8:03am

Count me in.

PortDawg 02-26-2010 6:41pm

Yo...

4dschvy 02-27-2010 9:46pm

We'll be there.

YorkL8apex 02-28-2010 4:34pm

Vet4JDC and I did a run over the route today. Looks like about 2 hours of back roads from Newport News through York Co, Grafton, Yorktown, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Lightfoot, Norge, and Toano.

Looks like Sunday may be the best day for it but keep posting here letting me know if you prefer one day over the other. I'm going to open it up to the Beachcombers and "that other forum" and see how many we can get to participate.

tomurphjr 02-28-2010 4:59pm

Tony, not sure if you have a place to eat picked out yet, but The Old Chickahominy House in Williamsburg is a good place to eat.

Old Chickahominy House - Home

Eagleeye 02-28-2010 8:56pm

In also

OIF2XVET 02-28-2010 8:56pm

I am in reguardless of date.

YorkL8apex 02-28-2010 9:26pm

Looks like best date for most participation will be Sunday March 14.

The route looks like fun even at "5-7 mph" :nono: over the speed limit, tons of twisties:drivingskid:

VET4JDC and I found what looks like a good place for a few beers :cheers:and lies :skep: at the end of the rally.

YorkL8apex 02-28-2010 9:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomurphjr (Post 26118)
Tony, not sure if you have a place to eat picked out yet, but The Old Chickahominy House in Williamsburg is a good place to eat.

Old Chickahominy House - Home

Thanks Tom, I'm trying to stay away from the crowded areas but due to the detour on the Colonial Parkway we wind up going right by here but with 20 or so miles left to drive on the rally route.

zz4vetteguy 02-28-2010 9:35pm

I am out then, already missed one rehearsal last week for the symphony and missing one for the 3 day Beach show, can't play hooky too many times in case I get sick or something.

leec4ce 03-01-2010 8:01am

If I can find a navigator I am in :above:

YorkL8apex 03-06-2010 9:02am

Making another run today to verify the route and landmarks. 37 turns and not one street name or number in the directions :confused5::willy: Should make for an interesting ride :skep:

YorkL8apex 03-06-2010 6:01pm

Hmmmm Missed a couple of turns in the directions, folks might have wound up in Maryland or NC :nono::willy:

Route is about 65 miles of back roads, plenty of twisties :o_o: and pretty cool things to see. It took us about 2 hours to drive it in the TBSS SUVette. :drivingskid:

We tried out the ending restaurant and it will make the food and the drink junkies happy:shots:

Habitat threw in some hats and other giveaways for us so all we need now is a good weather forecast :seeya:

Vet4jdc 03-06-2010 6:40pm

Sounds like a good time!

:yesnod:

2ez 2spd 03-06-2010 6:47pm

OK just talked with the wife and we are in, this sounds like it will be fun. I will not be worried about being one the first to finish or penalties for not answering questions. I simply want to finish this without the need to go to see a divorce attorney when we are done :yesnod:. Hopefully we will work together on this and she will not :slap: me.

allthrottleandsomebottle 03-06-2010 8:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkL8apex (Post 27151)
all we need now is a good weather forecast :seeya:

workin on that now..........:D

YorkL8apex 03-06-2010 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ez 2spd (Post 27160)
OK just talked with the wife and we are in, this sounds like it will be fun. I will not be worried about being one the first to finish or penalties for not answering questions. I simply want to finish this without the need to go to see a divorce attorney when we are done :yesnod:. Hopefully we will work together on this and see will not :slap: me.

Yeah, when I tried to have my wife ride with me to write directions we made it almost out of the Ferguson parking lot before we had it out:beat:

Vet4jdc 03-07-2010 7:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by YorkL8apex (Post 27188)
Yeah, when I tried to have my wife ride with me to write directions we made it almost out of the Ferguson parking lot before we had it out:beat:

he's not kidding!

(that's why they call it a "divorce rally")

:beer: