The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Local Court official shot... (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50803)

lspencer534 04-29-2013 12:51pm

Local Court official shot...

A Court clerk in my State had an eventful Saturday morning. Realizing that there are no eye-witnesses to what happened other than the shooter and the victim, here's what apparently happened: The clerk was going out the back door of his home at about 8:00 a.m. and noticed a teenage boy tryng to break into his storage building. The clerk approached to teenager, who shot him twice in the face and then hit him with his pistol. One bullet lodged in his jaw, the other exited his neck.

The clerk is still in the hospital with considerable pain; the bullet was extracted, but he lost three teeth from the attack.

This clerk is a friend of mine, and I deeply regret what he has gone through. I'll leave it to the rest of you to comment on what someone shouldn't do when you see a burglary in progress.

BTW, the teenager has been caught and confessed. He will be charged with aggravated assault since attempted murder isn't a crime here (but will be after July 1.)

Residents react to Aberdeen shooting - WTVA.com

C5SilverBullet 04-29-2013 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 941186)
A Court clerk in my State had an eventful Saturday morning. Realizing that there are no eye-witnesses to what happened other than the shooter and the victim, here's what apparently happened: The clerk was going out the back door of his home at about 8:00 a.m. and noticed a teenage boy tryng to break into his storage building. The clerk approached to teenager, who shot him twice in the face and then hit him with his pistol. One bullet lodged in his jaw, the other exited his neck.

The clerk is still in the hospital with considerable pain; the bullet was extracted, but he lost three teeth from the attack.

This clerk is a friend of mine, and I deeply regret what he has gone through. I'll leave it to the rest of you to comment on what someone shouldn't do when you see a burglary in progress.

BTW, the teenager has been caught and confessed. He will be charged with aggravated assault since attempted murder isn't a crime here (but will be after July 1.)

Residents react to Aberdeen shooting - WTVA.com

WTF?

lspencer534 04-29-2013 1:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet (Post 941187)
WTF?

I know. It's an omission by the State Legislature that finally got corrected this year. Inexcuable.

Torqaholic 04-29-2013 1:25pm

You can't shoot someone for burgling your stuff (in most places) but you can react to threats against you after telling them to stop (again, in most places).

Unfortunately if you're walking around without a way to protect yourself (BFG) telling someone not to steal your shit can be pretty dangerous... That's because they're freaking criminals!

I didn't Know there were places that had no "attempted murder" law. That explains a lot. I've often wondered why people in other states weren't charged with that when they clearly intended and attempted to murder their victim. You might want to let your stupid legislators know the penalty for this is not much different than if they'd actually succeeded in murder. I'm sure they're wondering about that :rofl:

lspencer534 04-29-2013 2:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqaholic (Post 941217)
You can't shoot someone for burgling your stuff (in most places) but you can react to threats against you after telling them to stop (again, in most places).

Unfortunately if you're walking around without a way to protect yourself (BFG) telling someone not to steal your shit can be pretty dangerous... That's because they're freaking criminals!

I didn't now there were places that had no "attempted murder" law. That explains a lot. I've often wondered why people in other states weren't charged with that when they clearly intended and attempted to murder their victim. You might want to let your stupid legislators know the penalty for this is not much different than if they'd actually succeeded in murder. I'm sure they're wondering about that :rofl:

We have the Castle Doctrine Law, so the victim would have been within his rights to shoot the burglar on sight because the burglar was stealing his property. As for the lack of an attempted murder statute, you can get 15 years here for aggravated assault, which maybe covers most attempted murders.

My procedure:

1. See criminal.

2. Shoot criminal.

3. If criminal isn't dead, shoot criminal again.

4. Adjust my story to suit the circumstances.

island14 04-29-2013 3:31pm

I hope your friend pulls though all this ok....

For me protecting ones home and property should be a right by law..

Too bad some people in positions of power in some states think different..

Torqaholic 04-29-2013 5:12pm

What does castle doctrine have to do with outside your home? Sounds kind of strange. I don't know about it, we have stand your ground law. Works good but only against people who are a threat. Can't kill people just because they're ugly.

lspencer534 04-29-2013 5:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Torqaholic (Post 941409)
What does castle doctrine have to do with outside your home? Sounds kind of strange. I don't know about it, we have stand your ground law. Works good but only against people who are a threat. Can't kill people just because they're ugly.

Ours says that you can use deadly orce to protect your person or your possessions.

xXBUDXx 04-29-2013 5:25pm

Guns scare me, but If I hadn't lost all of mine in that terrible accident, I would have been holding one when I approached the suspect.

Jeff '79 04-29-2013 5:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXBUDXx (Post 941416)
Guns scare me, but If I hadn't lost all of mine in that terrible accident, I would have been holding one when I approached the suspect.

Me too...:yesnod:

xXBUDXx 04-29-2013 5:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff '79 (Post 941420)
Me too...:yesnod:

:skep: When did your boating accident happen? Mine happens every morning around 7:00 am.

Jeff '79 04-29-2013 5:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by xXBUDXx (Post 941421)
:skep: When did your boating accident happen? Mine happens every morning around 7:00 am.

It was horrible... Yesterday around 3:30 in the afternoon... We were shooting for a couple of hours, decided to go for a cruise, and WHAMMO!!! down they went.:sadangel:

OddBall 04-29-2013 5:40pm

I believe your friend is owed two shots, and should be afforded the opportunity to deliver them to the burglar at a time and place of his choosing. And also with the pistol of his choosing.
:D

lspencer534 04-29-2013 5:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddBall (Post 941440)
I believe your friend is owed two shots, and should be afforded the opportunity to deliver them to the burglar at a time and place of his choosing. And also with the pistol of his choosing.
:D

Hear, hear! :cert:

LisaJohn 04-29-2013 8:51pm

I hope your friend will be ok!