The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   C5 Open Discussion (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Coolant Flush (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=856)

Munch 11-06-2009 10:47pm

Coolant Flush

Is there any way to actually flush to cooling system other than fill it with water, heat up the engine, let it cool, drain and repeat many times? Anything like the old Prestone things you hooked to your heater hose and connected a garden hose to? I want to flush all mt coolant out but don't want to spend all day doing it plus I want to make sure I get all of the old stuff out.

Eagleeye 11-07-2009 12:43pm

I'm a 65 yr. Novice here but I think your answer is ...No, can't get it all out . But if you are willing to remove the t'stat first and deal with a cold engine then yes you can come close. Here is the other "but"...So you flush it, replace thermostat and get ready to fill 'er up then realize its add fluid...burp...add fluid...burp...get the jist. I usually do the old drain what I can easily and fill it up and go ! CHIME IN MECHANICS

Munch 11-07-2009 1:00pm

Someone put green coolant in my car and I want to go back to the dex-cool. Sure the new green stuff is supposed to be fine but I would feel better with the Dex, plus I like the orange color in the overflow tank and I have like 4 jugs of Dex in my garage.

Y2Kvert4me 11-07-2009 1:19pm

Drain it, fill it with straight water, run it for a few mins, dump it again., should be fine. Refill with proper mix of coolant/water.

Most coolants you buy these days are fully compatible with either "old" type. Color isn't really a good indicator anymore, and isn't necessarily "not compatible" with Dexcool.

That used to be the case a few years ago, but nowadays, you'd really have to go out of your way to find a non-compatible coolant on a store shelf.

:cheers:

Junkman2008 11-14-2009 1:08pm

Flushing of A/C lines, radiators, transmission coolers, and power steering systems are recognized practices to be performed after catastrophic failures or extreme corrosion when encountered in radiators. This practice is NOT required or recommended for normal service operations.

If you feel a need to do it before the recommended 5 year/100,000 mile interval, simply drain and replace. This is especially true with the transmission. Flushing it could knock some dirt loose and cause a catastrophic transmission failure.

pops98 03-24-2010 7:22pm

Thanks to all for the info I need to do this to my car also.

Cobra4B 03-24-2010 9:20pm

I've never done a full flush to any Corvettes.... I just drain and refill w/ Dex-cool and deionized water every couple years.

Since you've got green stuff in there I'd follow Tom's advice and drain then fill w/ water, run, re-drain, and possibly do it one more time for good measure.