The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Anyone not want overtime? (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46457)

Munch 01-23-2013 10:01pm

Anyone not want overtime?

Throughout my working life I'd say 98% of my coworkers have always jumped at a chance for overtime. Personally I don't care for it although I have no problem working late to finish something important. Unfortunately some places consider everything important, expect constant overtime, and look down on you if you don't want to put in a 60hr week.

What's more important to you, extra $$ or time to spend it?

BTW, I don't work so I'm not complaining about my job. :D

Montehall 01-23-2013 10:04pm

I'm Salaried.
However, my last hourly job, OT was NOT allowed. That being said, I would clock in 5 minutes early every morning and 10 minutes early from lunch, and clock out a few minutes late, just so I could go home a few hours early on Friday.

kingpin 01-23-2013 10:05pm

I always took overtime in the jobs where it was available.
I've normally worked in places where I enjoy so maybe that helped.

DAB 01-23-2013 10:05pm

If I'm getting paid, sure. But salary sucks. Get done early, you can't leave. Work late? Work for free.

MEANZ06 01-23-2013 10:05pm

Easy: I'm salary, I do not want overtime... :D

sanchez 01-23-2013 10:06pm

I've always been salary. Overtime is a part of life. I wish it wasn't and would love to have a 9-5 job.

kingpin 01-23-2013 10:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanchez (Post 867522)
I've always been salary. Overtime is a part of life. I wish it wasn't and would love to have a 9-5 job.

What kind of overtime does sheepfuc*ing pay?
I'm asking for Skia.

sanchez 01-23-2013 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingpin (Post 867528)
I'm asking for Skia.

A quart of whiskey and half a pack of smokes.

Munch 01-23-2013 10:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingpin (Post 867528)
I'm asking for Skia.

Time and a half I bet. Double if you're on call.

kingpin 01-23-2013 10:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanchez (Post 867529)
A quart of whiskey and half a pack of smokes.

For you or the sheep?

sanchez 01-23-2013 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingpin (Post 867531)
For you or the sheep?

For the sheep, ya gotta get the taste outta their mouth somehow or they stop making nice wool.

Montehall 01-23-2013 10:17pm

do you wear big boots?

dwjz06 01-23-2013 10:53pm

Salary here too. I get 5k plus or more in OT every year. I'll take it if needed or required to get the job done. I do not volunteer for it anymore. Spending time with the family is more important:seasix:

Craig 01-23-2013 11:09pm

Salery here, overtime mandaory. Once the house is paid for, I'm becoming a Dumocrat and will become a burdon on society, I'm looking forward to it.

Omega Man 01-24-2013 12:43am

I charge by the hour. I will work it if needed, but I don't go out of my way to look for it.

Sneaks 01-24-2013 7:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 867515)
Throughout my working life I'd say 98% of my coworkers have always jumped at a chance for overtime. Personally I don't care for it although I have no problem working late to finish something important. Unfortunately some places consider everything important, expect constant overtime, and look down on you if you don't want to put in a 60hr week.

BTW, I don't work so I'm not complaining about my job. :D

I don't know whether to call you lucky, or a lazy feck. Better toss a coin on this one: It's heads :hurray:

LAZY FECK!
:dance:

I work more OT than I care to admit. But I don't mind. Keeps me warm, cozy, fed, and a couple bucks left over for fun......:leaving:

AU Eagle 01-24-2013 7:44am

The company I work for is now very strict about OT. They want us to cut our hours every week by coming in late.

They even go so far as to not wanting us to work over our scheduled hours for those who are not scheduled 40 hours (like me). Personally I have been over my scheduled for some time and they have not said anything to me because I stay and get the job done.

Back to the question: If I can get it and I have nothing else pressing, I will take it. Show me the $$$

Uncle Meat 01-24-2013 8:02am

I'm on salary so any OT I get is paid back as comp time off.

U.M.

Mike Mercury 01-24-2013 8:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munch (Post 867515)

I hate overtime; and haven't worked any in 20+ years (other than staying an extra 5-10 minutes due to a phone call or late arrival of a customer). At my current employer, I'm forbid from working overtime; they don't want to pay me 1.5x/hr; and I'm happy it's that way. When I accepted the position, I made it clear that I didn't want to work any overtime.

Most of it is due to my lack of energy. At the 9 hour mark (which includes a hour lunch break during the day)... I flat out run-out of energy. If I work 1 or 2 hours of overtime... I'm a zombie for the next few days; kinda like jet-lag.

I have always lived within my means; based on my 40hr/week income. And that "living within my means" encludes hobby types of expenses as well. So, overtime money is not life/death.
I do some extra work at home - that's not related to my employer; that extra money is nice. But, I can do this on my schedule.... sitting in an easy chair - in underwear - if I want !!!

Mike Mercury 01-24-2013 8:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Meat (Post 867647)
I'm on salary so any OT I get is paid back as comp time off.

U.M.

is it straight comp time.... or 1.5x comp time?