The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Hey DAB (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124520)

Ol Timer 01-03-2021 4:46pm

Hey DAB

1 Attachment(s)
If you run out of projects, this is a fun one

Attachment 50857

DAB 01-03-2021 4:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Timer (Post 1840585)
If you run out of projects, this is a fun one

Attachment 50857

what is it? i presume the dark, horizontal work on the bench (and not the bench itself).

helping a friend this week build a reloading bench. have the basic design sketched out, need to finalize dimensions, buy lumber, and then build it.

Ol Timer 01-03-2021 4:58pm

It will soon be a CNC router. I have yet to mount the Z axis and router.

04 commemorative 01-03-2021 5:20pm

:waiting:

LisaJohn 01-03-2021 5:22pm

:waiting: My sons want to build a reloading set up.

DAB 01-03-2021 5:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1840602)
:waiting: My sons want to build a reloading set up.

in that case, i'll try to take pics this week, and later post them with basic dimensions (which can be changed, depending on needs and space available).

i've built 2 reloading benches, gave my dad input on his too.

basics: this assumes you will be sitting in a standard chair. height is about 30". you will need a plywood top, at least 3/4" thick (mine is double 1/2", so 1" total), with a 4x4 under that to attach your press too. make sure the 4x4 is well attached to the top, there is a lot of force and torque involved. after that, you can make it as deep or as wide as you see fit. mine has some scrap laminate on the plywood, makes cleanup real easy. other tools can be screwed directly to the plywood top as needed (powder measure, case trimmer, bullet swage - if you cast lead bullets). and it's nice to have some shelves for all the other stuff, so you don't have a clogged bench top - dies, bullets, primers, empty cases, manuals, other small tools. i keep powder in a fire proof safe nearby.

:DAB:

LisaJohn 01-03-2021 7:50pm

That would be awesome! Thank you! They have a counter against a wall in the shop and barstools now. Supplies are in some of those blue stackable bins. Youngest son wants to build it for his house. Oldest son lives about half a mile from him. I’ll tell them about using a fireproof safe. They both want to get back to reloading.:seasix:

DAB 01-03-2021 7:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LisaJohn (Post 1840634)
That would be awesome! Thank you! They have a counter against a wall in the shop and barstools now. Supplies are in some of those blue stackable bins. Youngest son wants to build it for his house. Oldest son lives about half a mile from him. I’ll tell them about using a fireproof safe. They both want to get back to reloading.:seasix:

i only use the safe because it's a spare we have laying around. and it keeps the powder off my limited space.

i'll get a few pics of my present reloading bench, and then pics of the one we are going to build. my friend wants it designed so he can stand while he reloads, i prefer to sit. if standing, the height is about the same as your belt buckle height.

stay tuned, i'll create a new thread.

JRD77VET 01-03-2021 8:10pm

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1840587)
what is it? i presume the dark, horizontal work on the bench (and not the bench itself).

helping a friend this week build a reloading bench. have the basic design sketched out, need to finalize dimensions, buy lumber, and then build it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1840608)
in that case, i'll try to take pics this week, and later post them with basic dimensions (which can be changed, depending on needs and space available).

i've built 2 reloading benches, gave my dad input on his too.

basics: this assumes you will be sitting in a standard chair. height is about 30". you will need a plywood top, at least 3/4" thick (mine is double 1/2", so 1" total), with a 4x4 under that to attach your press too. make sure the 4x4 is well attached to the top, there is a lot of force and torque involved. after that, you can make it as deep or as wide as you see fit. mine has some scrap laminate on the plywood, makes cleanup real easy. other tools can be screwed directly to the plywood top as needed (powder measure, case trimmer, bullet swage - if you cast lead bullets). and it's nice to have some shelves for all the other stuff, so you don't have a clogged bench top - dies, bullets, primers, empty cases, manuals, other small tools. i keep powder in a fire proof safe nearby.

:DAB:

Here's my reloading bench. Six 4x4 legs and the upper "outer" frame is 2x4's. On top on the 4x4s are 2x4's laying flat. That allows you to screw the top down without any extra holes.
The lower shelf is 2x4's on the inside and plywood for the shelf.

The top is a solid core door cut down to "reach across" width.

The shelving is 5/4 x 8 all screwed together. It is attached to either end.

It disassembles for moving because when I built it, we were at the other house and I knew we would be moving shortly.

JRD77VET 01-03-2021 8:26pm

1 Attachment(s)
Found the "paint" drawing I did for a friend who wanted a slightly smaller footprint than mine.

Think Red would be proud of my paint drawing? :rofl:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here is a crude "paint" drawing of the bench I made for reloading. It's extremely sturdy

4x4's (red ) in the four corners ( on my bench, I have center supports too )
The top OUTER frame and the lower INNER frame are 2x4's
The green is also 2x4's but laid down instead of upright.

Everything is screwed together with deck screws. The table top is a solid core door and that is also screwed in place from the underside.