The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Best cheapest way to get AK47 (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120275)

SnikPlosskin 09-15-2019 5:42pm

Best cheapest way to get AK47

My son wants one and found one for $700 new. I think he can do better than that. Perhaps even military surplus or used. Gunbroker prices are high in my opinion.

Can one be had for $300-$500? How? Where?

MrPeabody 09-15-2019 6:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin (Post 1683588)
My son wants one and found one for $700 new. I think he can do better than that. Perhaps even military surplus or used. Gunbroker prices are high in my opinion.

Can one be had for $300-$500? How? Where?

Tell him he'll shoot his eye out with that thing.:leaving:

DAB 09-15-2019 6:15pm

Decent guns cost money.

DAB 09-15-2019 6:18pm

current bid $355: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/831395518

buy now for $530: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/832227573

lspencer534 09-15-2019 6:30pm

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.alphadogfirearmsaz.com/

Here are their "Beto" specials:

Attachment 31443

Mike Mercury 09-15-2019 6:38pm

Quote:

My son wants one
but which one ?

AK-47s are made by sooooooo many different companies/countries; and some of these are shoddy.

better ones come from
* WASR 10: manufactured in Romania and is probably the most readily obtainable foreign AK-47 at the moment.
* Arsenal SLR Series.
* Arsenal SAM Series.
* Krebs Custom.
* Palmetto State Armory PSAK-47

Israel makes a well regarded AK-47; also the Serbia (npap) version is supposed to be decent.

Worst models are the ones made in Pakistan, Tabuk (Iraq), and Afghanistan; rough castings, jamming issues.

markids77 09-15-2019 7:18pm

Tim is correct in that there are premium makers. And, as ever, quality costs.
My advice is to decide on a gun and go get one right now, like this week.
I suspect that the upcoming legislative session will contain some major setback for our freedom to own certain firearms, ammunition and/or accessories. If there is to be a "grandfather" clause; which looks doubtful; having a sales receipt, or bill of sale from an individual will be key to proving provenance. In the run up to the last assault weapons ban I sent myself a letter containing the description and serial number of any affected weapons in my inventory at the time... just in case.

SubZero 09-15-2019 7:19pm

russian black market :leaving:

markids77 09-15-2019 7:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubZero (Post 1683602)
russian black market :leaving:

Or do what the lawless do and go steal one. (Please don't take this comment seriously... just joking here.)

JRD77VET 09-15-2019 7:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1683600)
but which one ?

AK-47s are made by sooooooo many different companies/countries; and some of these are shoddy.

better ones come from
* WASR 10: manufactured in Romania and is probably the most readily obtainable foreign AK-47 at the moment.
* Arsenal SLR Series.
* Arsenal SAM Series.
* Krebs Custom.

Israel makes a well regarded AK-47; also the Serbia (npap) version is supposed to be decent.

Worst models are the ones made in Pakistan, Tabuk (Iraq), and Afghanistan; rough castings, jamming issues.

Palmetto State Armory is currently backordered / out of stock on AK-47 right now. :sad:

Nox 09-15-2019 7:48pm

I’m guessing you mean an AKM and not really an AK-47. I can tell you the cheapest way, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that route for most people. 😂

markids77 09-15-2019 7:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1683607)
I’m guessing you mean an AKM and not really an AK-47. I can tell you the cheapest way, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend that route for most people. 😂

Either enlisting and shopping for a bringback, or going the merc route and retaining one's issue weapon would not be very high on my list of ways to get one, but either would probably net a gen-u-wine AK as opposed to a semi auto copy.

Bill 09-15-2019 8:14pm

Quote:

Buy one in person, in a Yemeni or Syrian open air market and ship it back labeled 'machine parts?'

Nox 09-15-2019 8:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1683611)
Buy one in person, in a Yemeni or Syrian open air market and ship it back labeled 'machine parts?'

Buy one? :rofl:

JRD77VET 09-15-2019 8:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nox (Post 1683622)

Oh, "placement" gets you one cheaper :D

:leaving:

Bill 09-15-2019 8:50pm

Quote:

I'm a civilian, not military. I'd either have to buy one from a street merchant, or pay a GI for one that he took from a dead or captured Muslim fighter, and I'd have no special way to send it back to the US.

I'm sure our soldiers and contractors have a lot more flexibility in this area, for sending back souvenirs of this nature.

Nox 09-15-2019 9:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bill_daniels (Post 1683624)
I'm a civilian, not military. I'd either have to buy one from a street merchant, or pay a GI for one that he took from a dead or captured Muslim fighter, and I'd have no special way to send it back to the US.

I'm sure our soldiers and contractors have a lot more flexibility in this area, for sending back souvenirs of this nature.

Bring backs are a heck of a lot harder than it used to be, especially when you’re talking about class III weapons. So much so that guys are getting jammed up. Last time instead of bringing the whole rifles home, at least one person I know just brought back all the wood stocks and used them to make knife handles on custom knives. These knives have a story to tell. Especially when you know how the wood was harvested. :rofl:

SnikPlosskin 09-15-2019 9:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAB (Post 1683592)
Decent guns cost money.

Yes. I don’t think he should spend a dime on it since his college costs are going to go nuts. But he is 19, has the money, did his research and knows what he wants. I made him a deal. I’ll allow the AK in my home (actually no prob) if he moves his money market to a CD (he’s loaded compared to me). He said he would. Well move 3/4 of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspencer534 (Post 1683598)

I found that today too. Not bad. Century Arms is not bad. Not great. But I hear not bad. Nothing a little work can’t solve.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury (Post 1683600)
but which one ?

better ones come from
* Arsenal SLR Series.
* Arsenal SAM Series.
* Krebs Custom.

This is super helpful thanks. I’ll pass it along to him.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1683606)
Palmetto State Armory is currently backordered / out of stock on AK-47 right now. :sad:

Yes that blows. They say they are getting more ASAP. They have the $700 one which is pretty cheap.

Quote:

Yep. My kid isn’t getting a class 3 just yet.

Quote:

:hurray: unlimited supply I understand. Leave the M4 in the truck and save the ammo.

Bill 09-15-2019 10:00pm

https://i.redd.it/6r16gqi9ysm31.png

Nox 09-15-2019 11:31pm

1 Attachment(s)
:rofl: