The Vette Barn

The Vette Barn (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off Topic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   watch folks- my Citizen Automatic (https://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122552)

JRD77VET 05-08-2020 7:04pm

watch folks- my Citizen Automatic

1 Attachment(s)
I purchased a brand new Citizen Marine Men's Automatic Watch - NH8380-15E off ebay. Box, papers , plastic on clasp, brand new never worn.

I like the not having to worry about winding it, it's comfortable and easy to read. The glowing hands work acceptably making it easy to read in the dark. Band / clasp work well too. The day, date and time are all easy to alter.

What I don't like is that it gains about 10 to 12 seconds every day. The Maratac AQC ( battery) that I was wearing previously would keep to the second for over a month.

Can the fast running be adjusted?:confused5:

dvarapala 05-08-2020 7:07pm

Looks ancient. :shrug:

I loved my Citizen EcoDrive - solar powered, never needs batteries. I only gave it up because I got a smart watch. Nothing beats the accuracy of a watch that synchronizes via Network Time Protocol. :D

VatorMan 05-08-2020 7:32pm

10-15 seconds a day ? WTF are you needing that kind of accuracy for ? Hell I work at NIST and our office clocks are still analog. Only our scientist crew gets hyper accurate clocks.

JRD77VET 05-08-2020 7:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1764438)
10-15 seconds a day ? WTF are you needing that kind of accuracy for ? Hell I work at NIST and our office clocks are still analog. Only our scientist crew gets hyper accurate clocks.

As a machinist, I'm "slightly" OCD :D ( it might be part of the job requirement :lol: )

I'm ok with something being off but it MUST be consistent :leaving:

99 pewtercoupe 05-08-2020 8:09pm

10-15 seconds a day on a watch in that price range is acceptable. A quartz watch will be far more accurate unless you want to up your price point for a mechanical. I have several decent mechanical watches in the sub $300 range but none of them wii match the accuracy of a $50 quartz.
As a machinist, I assume you bought a mechanical watch because you appreciate what it takes to produce the movement. I will routinely take my watch off and just watch the gears and springs through the case back.
You have a good looking diver. Enjoy it :seasix:

VatorMan 05-08-2020 8:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1764439)
As a machinist, I'm "slightly" OCD :D ( it might be part of the job requirement :lol: )

I'm ok with something being off but it MUST be consistent :leaving:

Then buy a digital. Analog will always be off. At that price point at least.

Datawiz 05-09-2020 5:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by VatorMan (Post 1764455)
Then buy a digital. Analog will always be off. At that price point at least.

Even at the higher price points, they'll never match a quartz watch. My Submariner keeps really good time, but you have to have it serviced every 2 years to maintain the movement. Any longer than that and it gains or loses time.

04 commemorative 05-09-2020 6:41am

I think that is way too much to be off ......more than a minute a week ? Not acceptable...my Citizen Eco drive is not off anything like that....get your $ back.

VITE1 05-09-2020 6:51am

Sounds like it's in the ballpark for accuracy for that level of watch.

https://nanadc.com/blog/automatic-watch-accuracy/

MikeB 05-09-2020 7:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04 commemorative (Post 1764540)
I think that is way too much to be off ......more than a minute a week ? Not acceptable...my Citizen Eco drive is not off anything like that.

:iagree:

I've had 5 different Citizen watches over the past 35 years.
Never had one that gained this much time.
The only times I've ever had to re-set mine are during daylight saving resets.

Contact Citizen directly.
Attach your thread post to the e-mail.
Be sure to include when/where you bought it, and a copy of the receipt
if you have it.
They'll most likely replace it under warranty.

[email protected]

Little Red L98. 05-09-2020 8:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1764428)
I purchased a brand new Citizen Marine Men's Automatic Watch - NH8380-15E off ebay. Box, papers , plastic on clasp, brand new never worn.

I like the not having to worry about winding it, it's comfortable and easy to read. The glowing hands work acceptably making it easy to read in the dark. Band / clasp work well too. The day, date and time are all easy to alter.

What I don't like is that it gains about 10 to 12 seconds every day. The Maratac AQC ( battery) that I was wearing previously would keep to the second for over a month.

Nice. Can’t go wrong with a Citizen. How much?

Watches should be powered by springs. Smart watches are gay. :yesnod:

I haven’t worn a watch since the lockdown. Date stopped on 16. Of March.

Cybercowboy 05-09-2020 8:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1764537)
Even at the higher price points, they'll never match a quartz watch. My Submariner keeps really good time, but you have to have it serviced every 2 years to maintain the movement. Any longer than that and it gains or loses time.

Every 2 years? Nah, more like every 15 years. Unless you are really abusing the shit out of it. I think Rolex itself recommends every 5 years if you want to be "That Rolex Guy." Because $500-$800 every two years just to get your watch looking a little shinier and a tad more accurate is nuts. Even after a service most Subs will still not be all that accurate over the course of a few weeks. I know mine gains about two minutes minimum per month.

StaticCling 05-09-2020 8:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 pewtercoupe (Post 1764454)
10-15 seconds a day on a watch in that price range is acceptable.

This.

I don't know the specific movement in that watch, but a quick google search indicates Miyota (Citizen) Automatic movements have an accuracy tolerance between -20 and +40 seconds per day. So you are doing good methinks. It might settle down with time. You could take it to a watchmaker and see if they can regulate it, it may be possible to make it better, but it most likely will never run to COSC Chronometer standards.

My Tudor Black Bay is accurate to a few seconds per week, but it's a Certified Chronometer and cost several thousand dollars.

VITE1 05-09-2020 9:10am

If you want high accuracy try one of these. These sync with the Atomic clock.

https://www.wired.com/2008/07/atomicwatches-reviews/

78SA 05-09-2020 11:40am

The older you get the faster time flies. :leaving:

Millenium Vette 05-09-2020 1:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRD77VET (Post 1764428)

You can have it regulated but it likely will still vary on accuracy in real life. What you could try is laying it in different positions when you are not wearing it. Crown up, crown down, watch flat, etc. See what the accuracy is after eight or so hours after trying each position and you will likely find one, or a combo that keeps it more accurate. Other than that, it is well within specs for a non-COSC movement.

:cert:
Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1764537)

How much does it gain/lose after two years? Again, try laying it in different positions. It shouldn't need to be regulated, let alone serviced after only two years.

:cert:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cybercowboy (Post 1764558)
Every 2 years? Nah, more like every 15 years. Unless you are really abusing the shit out of it. I think Rolex itself recommends every 5 years if you want to be "That Rolex Guy." Because $500-$800 every two years just to get your watch looking a little shinier and a tad more accurate is nuts. Even after a service most Subs will still not be all that accurate over the course of a few weeks. I know mine gains about two minutes minimum per month.

That's good enough for me and the girls I go with.....:leaving:

Datawiz 05-09-2020 2:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millenium Vette (Post 1764629)

How much does it gain/lose after two years? Again, try laying it in different positions. It shouldn't need to be regulated, let alone serviced after only two years.

I might be off a minute in a month or two.

snide 05-09-2020 3:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1764637)

How would you even notice that? :confused5:

Millenium Vette 05-09-2020 4:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by datawiz (Post 1764637)

That's accurate enough within any specs.

:seasix:

99 pewtercoupe 05-09-2020 4:21pm

:cool1:

https://animagraffs.com/mechanical-watch/